The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2007, 08:25 PM   #26
Leeman

I agree with your solution.

SlamFire1

I totally agree with your approach to solving the problem. It is the most practical and economical way to handle an out of specification chamber problem.

Your comments about setting up you dies with headspace gauges makes me wonder if that may be the cause of your problem. Dies are manufactured so the correct setting is obtained with the die bearing against the shell holder plus 1/4 turn more to stress the press for proper pressure. This insures the headspace will be correct.

Often gunsmiths will make the chamber a little tight on the headspace so the bolt will close with pressure to “crush fit” the cartridge. If it is excessive crush, you can’t close the bolt and you can’t tell if it is the due to the headspace or one of the diameters causing the problem. This can be corrected by shortening the die or the shell holder. They are both hardened steal so they must be ground off. Obviously the shell holder is the cheapest item to mess up so that is what I would do. Talk to you gunsmith I’m certain he can help.

Thanks very much for you comments. I have one last question. Does your gun accept factory ammunition?
Old November 8, 2007, 10:11 AM   #27
Slamfire

I check all my 6.5 Swede, 270, 308, 30-06 and .223 rifles with headspace gages to verify that headspace is correct. I also use cartridge headspace gages, or a Sinclair gage (one something like 7.5 Swiss) to set up my sizing dies.

As for firing factory cartridges. Never had a problem in .223, 270, 30-06 or 308. But I seldom shoot factory ammunition, unless it is cheap surplus. As for the mil surplus rifles, if they accept surplus ammunition and go bang, I am happy. Surplus ammunition is highly varible.

I have one WASR-10 that must have a tight chamber as the first round of Chinese steel case ball requires a bump on the operating rod.