The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2010, 09:21 PM   #1
bubbaman

Is Hi Point that bad?

Assuming for $150 you would only get a loosely put together piece of crap. How bad are they really?
Old October 15, 2010, 09:25 PM   #2
thebodhitree

i dont remember what publication said it, but they said the hi point was the most economical + reliable gun on the market today..

i know a couple guys that swear by them so take it with a grain of salt

having said that, i think they look like 8 miles of bad road, lol!
Old October 15, 2010, 09:29 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Most users report that the fairly recent vintage Hi-Points are functional although magazine issues seem to be relatively common.

They are blowback pistols. The simple design contributes to reliability and accuracy but requires a heavy slide and strong recoil spring. The design employs ZAMAK alloys to provide the slide weight while keeping manufacturing/materials costs low.

The manufacturer provides a no-hassle guarantee and customer service reports are positive.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:39 PM   #4
MilProGuy

I do not own one, but have several friends who do; and they say, for the money, the Hi Point is a decent pistol...and the company has a "no questions asked" warranty.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:49 PM   #5
sandw3844

Read about Hi Points

To read a review of Hi Point pistols, you might check out Shooting Times magazine, which ran an article by Paul Scarlata that seems to give them some very favorable remarks. Here is the link: http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...ipoint_100605/
Old October 15, 2010, 09:58 PM   #6
wvshooter

Never owned one or shot one but saw a couple guys trying to shoot one at the range one day. Very sad. I really felt for them. They would get off a couple rounds and then spend five or ten minutes trying to clear a missfeed or correct some other problem. I watched them do this for over an hour. Very sad.

I couldn't bring myself to go over and talk to them. That's the kind of thing that can turn someone off to guns for the rest of their life.
Old October 15, 2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

They use zinc throughout, ergonomics are terrible and triggers deplorable. However, if one is on a strict budget, I'd still recommend one. They're pretty reliable, customer service is well above average (if not fantastic), and you don't have to worry about it getting beat up.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 15, 2010, 10:39 PM   #8
SteveHawaii

My brother has one and uses it basically for home defense. He didn't need much and Hi Points don't cost much. I guess they're better than nothing. Never shot or handled one myself, but the curiosity factor is up.

Yes, it has a blow-back action, but what semi-auto doesn't?
Old October 15, 2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHawaii
Almost all semi's above .380 ACP are locked breech, not blowback.
Old October 15, 2010, 11:34 PM   #10
Bamashooter

paid around a bill for my 9mm hi-point and it has never malfunctioned. not real purdy but reliable. if your strapped for cash and needed a pistol...
Old October 15, 2010, 11:41 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Almost all 9mm Luger and larger!!! Also a lot of 380acp pistols like Ruger LCP, kel-Tec P3AT, Sig 239, and many more.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 15, 2010, 11:44 PM   #12
kymasabe

They make great door stops. I've got one shoved under the big heavy steel shop door right now.
Old October 15, 2010, 11:57 PM   #13
hoytinak

I've always said "don't knock it till you've tried it", so I bought a C9 a while back just to see for myself how they were. I was planning on putting 5000rds through it the first weekend just to see if it'd hold up. I ended up only putting 200rds through it. Too heavy for it's size, uncomfortable, trigger was terrible, plus it would fail to feed the last round in the mag every time, regardless of ammo or how many rounds I put in the mags (did it with both mags). Well, I sold it after that first range trip...not my cup of tea.

Top 10 reasons to own a Hi-Point:

10. Your wife wants a divorce and she says she wants half your stuff. Volunteer to teach her to shoot, bringing the Springfield to teach her on. After you have instructed her, switch it out with the Hi-Point and stand back. Make sure her life insurance is paid up completely.

09. Target shooting. I find that if you nail it firmly to a piece of plywood, it makes an excellent 10m bulls eye. Buy two, so you have something to hammer the nails in with.

08. Hang it on your wall, and when people ask about it, tell them it was Pablo Picasso’s first attempt at gunsmithing. His second? The Glock…..

07. Doorstop. I mean, bricks have uses, so why waste them holding open doors?

06. To use as a platform developing your new non lethal potato bullet. Which WILL make you rich, as soon as Hornady gets their heads out of their butts and take notice.

05. To test those dicey reloads. You know, the ones you loaded while YOU were loaded. Be sure to use a ransom rest.

04. If you need to sneak into a construction site while carrying. Anybody that sees it will probably assume it’s a power tool of some kind.

03. If your buddy works for Hi-Point, and gives you one for your birthday. Be wary of these friends. He probably bought it for $15, and the Federal transfer fee was probably $20 of it. Be especially on guard if it’s an experimental model, but “ All the bugs are pretty much worked out.”

02. You are supplying the Iraqi Police. Yeah, like they can tell the difference between that and a Glock anyway. If it’s not a Tariq 9mm, it MUST be a Glock, right?

01. You work in a windy area, and you need something to keep paper from blowing everywhere. Paperweights can be expensive. Get a Hi-Point!
Old October 16, 2010, 12:00 AM   #14
abelacres

I had one and sold it recently...they are ugly, heavy and about as ergonomic as a cement block. BUT for the money they are a DECENT pistol-if you are strapped for cash or want a cheap beater/truck gun. I would recomend them to someone for those purposes.

FWIW my 9mm Hi Point did not like HPs (wouldn't feed about every third or fourth shot) but shot FMJs just fine.
Old October 16, 2010, 12:11 AM   #15
LloydXmas250

I'm not condoning anything they try in this "review" because they do do a few stupid things with these but here's a somewhat funny review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg
Old October 16, 2010, 12:17 AM   #16
gatopardo

Decent shooters.

They are real decent shooters, i have several, my favorite is the 40 cal S&W,
real snappy tool I love that caliber, on a good day i can put a decent group at 25 yards.
The 9mm. carbine, is the family plinker, it never disappoints, I love it woth a red dot, but the rest of my family like the iron sights.

The C9 9mm is always at hands reach, even thou I have more expensive tools. I tried to carry it one day, is too heavy for that. so it stays home

So to answer your question, no they are not bad at all, they are no frills, no bling guns, but they are efficient.
Old October 16, 2010, 01:39 AM   #17
Old Wanderer

I bought one in 40SW...it runs just fine. However I have some "good guns" and once I convinced myself that if I pointed it at a target and pulled the trigger, the bullet would go where I wanted it.....well it now rest in a place in my home for emergency use. Hopefully I will get motivated to cycle some ammo through it every few years.
Old October 16, 2010, 02:53 AM   #18
shredder4286

Hi point was started by a man named Thomas Deeb. He was a true american, who wanted to make reliable, affordable firearms for people who couldn't afford the higher-end weapons. I think it's a shame that people bash this product that's made 100% in the United States of America, so all the profit and cost of making these weapons goes into the american economy, yet so many people latch onto the glamour of foreign-made weapons and pump their hard-earned money into other countries. I'm not saying only buy hi-point, or that the other firearms aren't good, but I think it's great that an american did something like this, and even though it's not the coolest, newest thing out there, we should all acknowledge and appreciate the patriotism that these firearms and their owners represent.
Old October 16, 2010, 03:27 AM   #19
gyvel

Quote:
Is Hi Point that bad?
Buy one and find out for yourself.
Old October 16, 2010, 04:32 AM   #20
ace4059

I have a Hi Point 9mm setting beside my bed. Right now I trust it more than my G19 gen 4, but that don't say much, in fact it insults my Hi Point. I got it for $100. I can put in in the car, the trunk, or wherever, and not worry about scratches to it.

I have shot about 500 rds of WWB through mine, and some friends have shot a few hundred through it. I have never had a jam, FTF or a FTE with mine. Mine seems to work flawlessly. I hate that it has a safety. I will not carry gun that have a safety. Plus this gun is too big, heavy (mainly heavy) to carry. Yes it is ugly, and cheaply made. The plastic is sharp and I had to file the rough points down. I smoothed everything down, and its not too bad now. The mag release was in the way for me being left handled, so I filed that down too. I do not like the fact it will not fire without the mag in it. I am scared to dry fire it, and I am sure something would break on it if I did. I have never cleaned it, because I have no clue how to take it apart. It has no slide release, which I am not a big fan of. The mag is a little hard to load. But mine is very dependable, and I have never had a problem with it. It shoots very well. at 3 yds, I can shoot 8 rds in about the size of a quarter, at 10 yds, I can put them all in a 2" hole. At 25 yds, I can hit a 8" pie plate with no problem. The sights were about 2" to the left, but they are adjustable. But for $100, it cant be beat.
Old October 16, 2010, 11:22 AM   #21
Lashlarue

Hi-point are a simple design that use steel only where necessary. The pistols are butt ugly and heavy, the carbines have a large following. I have a 995 dressed in an ATI stock , a reflex red dot and it is my bedside HD weapon.

Zero failures of any kind and unlike most pistols is relatively quiet.
Old October 16, 2010, 11:43 AM   #22
jimbob86

I have shot one....

It's a gun! It works (with FMJ, anyway).

There. I said something nice, so I did not have to "not say anything at all".

Seriously, though: If you needed a gun and all you had was $250 bucks, I think it would be better to buy a Hi-point and $100 worth of ammo and actually practic a bit..... rather than buy a $250 dollar gun and never shoot it. At crunch time, you would sink to the level of your training: Bupkus.

The correct answer here is sell whatever you need to (plasma is an option) to get another $250, buy an SR9c AND $100 dollars worth of ammo.......
Old October 16, 2010, 11:45 AM   #23
Onward Allusion

This should be a sticky!

Question comes up almost once a week... No they are not bad at all if that is all you could afford and you break them in properly. Don't believe the haters that have never owned one AND broken them in (letting mags set for a week or two, running a few hundred rounds through it in combo with adjusting the mag lips if necessary). It isn't a range toy nor is it a CCW. It is a "I'm eating Ramen noodles everyday, live in a crappy neighborhood, and want to protect myself/family kind of gun."

Yes, I own one and broken one in but no, I don't use it for SD/HD because I have other pistols.

Quote:
bubbaman
Is Hi Point that bad?
Assuming for $150 you would only get a loosely put together piece of crap. How bad are they really?
Old October 16, 2010, 01:31 PM   #24
hardworker

There's nothing wrong with a hi point except the way it looks. Looks like a **** made out of legos.
Old October 16, 2010, 01:45 PM   #25
roaddog28

Another Hi point thread. A hi point C9 is the best looking semi-auto on the market. The C9 has a trigger that is as good as a 1911. The C9 will shoot a ragged hole in a bullseye target at 50 yds away. The C9 never jams and is as easy to take apart as a Glock 17. Now it you believe want I am telling you, I have some great ocean front property in Yuma Arizona that I am selling to the highest bidder.

Below is my best looking semi-auto.

Howard