The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 14, 2001, 10:29 PM   #1
4thHorseman

polishing feed ramp

What do you guys use to polish your feed ramps with and how do you do it? I have some minor milling marks that I'd like to get rid of. I tried metal polish but no luck. Thanks
Old September 15, 2001, 07:10 AM   #2
bad4u

I still have very shallow milling marks visible on the ramps of both of my current 1911s, even after polishing.

It's my understanding that what you want to accomplish is polishing to improve surface quality, and it's not cecessary to remove all traces of machine marks to accomplish this.

I simply used a dampened folded rag wrapped around my index finger and dipped into 600-grit abrasive powder. I rubbed the ramp surface until the ramp felt smooth as glass, probably 20 to 30 strokes. Took just a few minutes to achieve a slick surface.

Very faint machine marks are still visible on the ramps, but bullets don't seem to care.

I should add that both guns (Para and SA) fed reliably before ramp-polishing. This is one of those operations that can't hurt, but might help functioning for a marginal feed.
Old September 15, 2001, 12:03 PM   #3
DeBee

I use long cratex rods on a Dremel arbor for polishing feed ramps.

With that being said, don't polish the feed ramps any further.

Minor milling marks aren't really affecting the performance of the pistol, right? Most bullet shapes don't engage that area of the pistol at all...

However, I know once the bug has bitten me to fix a pet peeve with a gun, most advice won't help...
Old September 15, 2001, 06:10 PM   #4
4thHorseman

Thanks guys, that's been a big help.
Old September 15, 2001, 11:17 PM   #5
Singlestack

If you do polish it stay off of the edge at the top. DO NOT try to change the angle at the top edge of the feed ramp. I can't stand it not being polished so I polish mine but I don't know that it helps.

John