The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2014, 11:04 PM   #26
Oysterboy

When I got my Sig 40 I thought about selling the Sigma but I decided since it shoots good why get rid of it?
Old January 4, 2014, 12:58 AM   #27
Onward Allusion

1st gen a little iffy. 2nd gen reliable as any other S&W. Never had a problem with 'em (knock-on-wood). Wife's gun is a SW40F. Was a policewoman's gun. It's been put thru its paces and is darn reliable. The wife and I favor heavy revolver-like triggers. It gives consistency and is also a safety feature. No such thing as an inadvertent shot with one.

I have a number of the 2nd gens. They make great rainy day guns. Go-Home / Get-out Bags, NY reloads, trade/barter, arm every member of the family including the in-laws. . . I even got a SW357V - yup - a Sigma chambered in 357 SIG. As with any handgun, revolver or semi, they have to be put thru its paces. Issues will show in the first 250 to 500 rounds. If it's a lemon, it'll show itself.

Will they ever become collectible? Um....aside from MAYBE the SW357V, no way will they ever become collectibles! And this is coming from a fan.

My next Sigma will be a 3rd gen.
Old January 7, 2014, 06:10 PM   #28
skizzums

i bought a new sd9ve like 1 and half yearago, it was actually really reliable, shot a little low, but was pretty accurate once you got used to it, i would have had total confidence in it, only parted ways because it was so big

i am actually very suprised about all the negative opinions on it, i thought it was a pretty okay entry level pistol, but i never had an experience with the 1st gen, i thought they were pretty much the same
Old January 8, 2014, 11:29 AM   #29
el_chupo_

Skizzums, you have the SD VE, the updated/upgraded version that most say they have no problems with.

The Sigma was a pretty poor version of an affordable pistol. The newer releases have maintained the low price point, and are now supposed to be pretty solid.
Old January 8, 2014, 11:57 AM   #30
Fishbed77

Quote:
In the car world, both the Edsel and the Chrysler K-Car were unsuccessful.
Not to get off-topic, but the K-Platform was wildly successful.

Per Wikipedia: "The K-cars (Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, Chrysler LeBaron, Dodge 400, and, in Mexico, Dodge Dart) sold very well, selling between 280,000 and 360,000 every year from 1981 to 1988, and edging over 100,000 in their final year, 1989."

The K-Platform was the backbone of Chrysler for over a decade, and Lee Iacocca credited them with saving Chrysler by allowing it to pay off the company's bankruptcy loans.

Of course, the K-Cars aren't collectible at all, and the Sigma won't be either.
Old January 10, 2014, 06:56 PM   #31
jimbob86

Quote:
Not to get off-topic, but the K-Platform was wildly successful.
Due to what, exactly? Agressive Marketing, the overvaluation of the Yen, protectionist crash test standards and a "Buy American!" sentiment* that caught on in the late 1970's, mostly ......

And "wildly successful" compared to what? The over-engineered, gas guzzling, unreliable junk Chrysler had been slinging? Not a very high standard to meet .....

They were boxy, simple, (fairly) reliable cars that were not made in Japan or Germany...... and by the 90's they had to pay people to buy them (remember the "Cash Back Rebate!" ......

They were just not that good .... but better than most of the domestic cars that cars they replaced ...... and more profitable, because they not only were cheaper to produce, they actually sold ...... which is probably a pretty close parallel with the S&W Sigma- the heavy, expensive, often finicky (with HP ammo) semi-auto pistols that Smith was marketing were getting killed in the marketplace by cheap, reliable polymer guns from overseas (Austria and Germany, but mostly Austria) .....

*(Sing it with me now: "Look For ...... The Union La-bel ......" ......

Last edited by jimbob86; January 10, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old January 10, 2014, 11:03 PM   #32
Fishbed77

Quote:
They were just not that good .... but better than most of the domestic cars that cars they replaced ...... and more profitable, because they not only were cheaper to produce, they actually sold
But wait a second... Didn't you say they were unsuccessful?

If Chrysler was trying to create a performance car, then yes, The K-Platform was unsuccessful. But they weren't trying to create a performance car.

If Chrysler was trying to create a world-beating luxury car, then yes, The K-Platform was unsuccessful. But they weren't trying to create a world-beating luxury car.

If Chrysler was trying to create a paragon of reliability, then yes, The K-Platform was unsuccessful. But they weren't trying to create a paragon of reliability.

Chrysler was trying to build a boring, run-of-the-mill econobox family sedan that was cheap to build and turned a profit. Which is exactly what they did. They sold boatloads of them during the 1980s, essentially saving the company. It's impossible to call them unsuccessful. Yes, by the 90s, they were struggling to clear them off the lots. Even a good horse can be ridden too long.

Now I don't know what kind of profit margin S&W was turning on the Sigma, but they sold them for many years for low prices. Something tells me S&W would not have kept them in production if they weren't profitable. And just like the K-Cars, they will never be collectibles.
Old January 11, 2014, 10:24 AM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
But wait a second... Didn't you say they were unsuccessful?
I did. By the 90's, they were.

Nobody wanted a K-Car. They settled for them.

They wanted a car that did not break down constantly, and got better milage than they had been getting, could seat 6 (if they were not overweight adults) and was made in America......

Those last two things were the only reasons they Chrysler did not completely fold to their japanese competition.
Old January 11, 2014, 12:36 PM   #34
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The Sigma (9VE) I had was reliable and accurate---and despite the heavy pull weight had a better trigger than the M&P---the pull was straight and clean while the M&P trigger causes the front sight to bounce around----not sure how to explain it but the front sight on the Sigma was dead solid through out the trigger pull.

The SD seems the only choice for decent cheap gun now that the Ruger P95 is gone.

And no--there's no collector value to them---but they are a decent gun
-------Metallica
Old January 12, 2014, 09:59 AM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
The SD seems the only choice for decent cheap gun now that the Ruger P95 is gone.
Ruger's excellent sR9c can be had for under $400 .....

Which is also the projected pricepoint of Remington' new R51 ..... which, if it lives up to it's hype, I'll have two.
Old January 12, 2014, 11:12 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't see any need to continue the discussion of the K-Car, Chrysler, etc. I'd appreciate a return to relevant topics.