The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 11, 2006, 05:34 PM   #1
jhgreasemonkey

slug acuaracy problems

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on slugs. I went out and shot slugs from my 2 shotguns. The ithaca 37 w/19" barrel and no choke tube shot them dead on. My baikal 12 guage w/impoved cylinder choke was ALL over the place. Way off. I was shooting remington rifled slugs. The gunshop guy told me to use these slugs with this choke. I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. I have been told not to use full chokes with slugs. I have a full, modified, and improved cylinder. I used the improved cylinder so should I try the others or is this dangerous? Any idea why the acuracy is off so much? it is not a rifled barrel and its 24" 12 guage chambered for 2 2/3 and 3" I was shooting 2 3/4" remington rifled slugs. Thanks.
Old May 11, 2006, 08:18 PM   #2
RNettles

Foster Type Slugs

I have a Remington Express Magnum with a 20" smooth bore vent rib and Rem chokes. I shoot Remington 12 ga. 2 3/4" 1 oz. Slugger, a foster type slug, through Improved Cylinder choke. Dead on at 85 yards at my local range. 3-4" groups of 5. My shotgun was made in 1993 and I bought it in March of 2006 at a local pawn shop. When I brought it home I detail striped it, cleaned, lubed and re-assembled... Best valued purchase, for $175 + tax, I've made to date. I also keep it as Home Defense with 4 Remington 12 ga 3" 00 Buck and Full choke. I am considering Magazine Extension for 3 more shells...

I would make sure the bore is clean and the barrel is "seated" properly. The gun shop guy was right... Improved Cylinder with the smoth bore and Foster type slugs... my 2 cents
Old May 11, 2006, 08:20 PM   #3
hoghunting

Some barrels don't like certain slugs. You could try another brand or just stick with the Ithaca. You can shoot slugs through the different choke tubes, but it still won't be accurate, and you will spend time cleaning lead from the tubes. I sure you found out that shooting slugs at the bench is not very comfortable.
Old May 11, 2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Ruger4570

I don't know if you have an Ithaca Deerslayer, If you do, they bored the barrels very uniformly especially to shoot rifled slugs. I owned two of the older deerslayers in 12 and 20. They both shot well with the edge going to the 20 gauge. That might explain why your Ithaca simply shoots better, more attention to shooting slugs.

Last edited by Ruger4570; May 12, 2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old May 12, 2006, 01:49 PM   #5
jhgreasemonkey

Thanks for all the usefull info. It's funny you should mention shooting slugs from the bench is uncomfortable. While I was doing this my new scope which I had the gunsmith set up and bore sight for me came off on the 10th shot and hit me in the nose! The screws rattled loose from the heavy recoil. That was not the acuracy problem however because I have sights as well and still couldnt hit crap. I will try some different slugs and hopefully find some that work. Thanks to all for the help.
Old May 12, 2006, 02:34 PM   #6
FrontSight

dude, get a savage slug warrior & hasting laser accurate slugs...1 inch groups at 50 yds
Old May 20, 2006, 11:29 AM   #7
DWARREN123

Check the barrel and choke after firing a couple of slugs and look for strange marks or leading. As said before some shotuguns like just one or two types/brands of slugs and a few don't like any.