The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2024, 11:01 PM   #26
Nathan

The standard Lee seat/crimp die makes a nice crimp. I removed the seating stuff and am running that.
Old March 6, 2024, 02:30 PM   #27
Rifletom

And still, no one answered post #5. I too would like to know why the LFC die doesn't work for some. Thanks.
Old March 6, 2024, 05:44 PM   #28
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejoneskd
I haven't had any issues using the carbide crimp die before.
What is the carbide crimp die? Are you speaking about the Lee Factory Crimp die with a carbide crimp ring and carbide crimp bushing?

If so, I found the case mouth crimp to not form a good looking crimp. In testing, it was ok, but marginal. Marginal means over taper crimping allowed bullet to move feeding and under crimping the same. The difference between the 2 was about 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

Additionally, the carbide ring shrinks the diameter of everything….case, bullet, …I noticed my accuracy was not bad, but marginal. Feeding was ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifletom
And still, no one answered post #5. I too would like to know why the LFC die doesn't work for some. Thanks.
I think I answered my experience above. Switch to std taper crimp dies and roll crimp dies has fixed things up.

This thread was started to talk about why the collet style Lee Factory Crimp die could not be made to crimp 38 Spcl. Lee tells me they cannot make it. I dunno.
Old March 7, 2024, 03:46 PM   #29
Rifletom

Hmmm. Seems some handloaders have issues with the Lee FCD sizing down cases and bullets, while others, myself included, haven't had these problems. I just measured some .38 spl rounds; three factory, three fully loaded that have been run thru a Lee FCD and three sized, flared and primed cases. All measured the same: 0.375". Even pulled two 158gr swc bullets from loaded rounds, measured .358". Again, no issues on my end.
Old March 7, 2024, 05:58 PM   #30
mikejonestkd

Quote:
What is the carbide crimp die? Are you speaking about the Lee Factory Crimp die with a carbide crimp ring and carbide crimp bushing?
the lee factory crimp die has a carbide ring for pistol cartridges.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519?pid=557190

Quote:
If so, I found the case mouth crimp to not form a good looking crimp.
I have not found this to be the case when the brass is all uniform in length.

I am a mediocre pistol shot on a good day, and i can not discern any loss in accuracy between the lee crimp die and other manufacturer's crimp dies. YMMV