The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2001, 04:11 PM   #1
Eddie

I would like your advice on my plans to use my friends 1 time fired brass.
I am fairly new to reloading, I have loaded around 120 MILD .243 rounds. My LEE dies have been full lenght resizing. I believe that if I resize my friends brass and then Fire it in my rifle, I will be able to use The neck sizing dies I am planning to buy next.

Your comments would be appreciated, We don't have any forums like this in my country.

Regards
Eddie
Old January 15, 2001, 05:43 PM   #2
Bob243

Using a full lenth die or a neck size die I believe is a matter of preferance. I have always used neck sizing dies on my 243, 222, and 308, I used a full lenth size on my 270.

As far as fire forming them as long as they were 243 brass to begin with and you are reloading them for a 243, I dont think this is really going to give you any advantage. Some of the brass I am still reloading is left over from my last 243 that I had. I bought some new brass recently only because I ran out of brass to reload. What kind of brass did your friend give you? are there any visual defects, cracks in the shoulder, swelling or seperation above the headstamp?

good luck...

Bob Meier
[email protected]
Old January 16, 2001, 03:40 PM   #3
RiverRider

Eddie, once you have full-length sized your friend's brass, and you reload it and fire it in your rifle, that brass is fireformed to YOUR chamber. You should consequently be able to neck-size only with no problems.
Old January 16, 2001, 04:51 PM   #4
Quantrill

Eddie,
I agree with RR that before you use brass from 1 rifle in another rifle, it should be full length resized. Then after it has fire formed itself to the new rifle, neck sizing will be fine. Quantrill
Old January 17, 2001, 05:04 PM   #5
Eddie

Brass Resizing

Thanks for the posts.
I have been given Federal Brass, It is all in good condition. I had hoped to start neck sizing as I believe that it will be less stressfull for the brass, hopefully leading to longer case life with the mild loads I am using.

Again, thanks to all who posted.
I have learned a good deal just by following the other threads.
Its a great forum.

Regards
Eddie
Old January 17, 2001, 05:44 PM   #6
MADISON

NECK versis FULL LENGTH SIZING

I agree that once brass is full length sized and fired in YOUR GUN, you can neck size it from then on.

You mentioned purchasing a Neck Sizing Die. I my 31 years of re-loading, I have never bought a neck sizing die. TRY backing the die adjustment off about 1/8th inch. When neck sizing you should not need to lubricate the brass. Until you get the adjustment right there is a good chance of getting a "STUCK CASE".
MADISON
Old January 17, 2001, 05:51 PM   #7
Eddie

Madison

I have the Lee Aniversary Kit ( very good value over here) The Lee dies I have also take out the primer on the resizing stroke.
Will this method still work. ie resize only the neck, yet still take out the primer.

Yours in the dark
(for the moment)

Regards
Eddie