The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2022, 12:32 PM   #1
SIGSHR

Brass frame rifles.

How have the CAS/SASS shooters found how brass framed rifles hold up compared to steel ones ?
Old October 14, 2022, 06:02 PM   #2
Hawg

They should hold up very well. Henry rifles are made out of a bronze alloy similar to the originals but it's supposed to be harder. Uberti rifles are made out of a bronze/zinc alloy which is harder than originals. Henry probably uses the same alloy.
Old October 16, 2022, 08:49 PM   #3
44caliberkid

I’ve had a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy since 2003. It is my main match rifle for cowboy action shooting and about 5000 rounds of 44-40 through it. Mostly my black powder handloads, which are as much 3Fg as I can squeeze under a 200 grain Mav Dutchman bullet. No fillers, no wads,Max charge. Never a problem, great rifle.
Old October 18, 2022, 12:16 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'm kind of old school when it comes to shinny rifles. My rifles are either deep blued or dark matte blued. Such rifles are used for the taking of game. If I were to shoot at a rifle range only. Than I might consider shooting a Bright Brass'er or polished Stainless for that purpose.
Old October 18, 2022, 05:36 AM   #5
mehavey

Rub a little water solution of Black Powder residue on the brass.
It'll get real "earth" colored in a hurry.
Old October 19, 2022, 09:49 PM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I had the brass from an Uberti Model 1866 analyzed a few years ago. The analysis said it was 56% copper and 44% zinc. A true brass.

The original Model 1860 Henry rifle as well as the original Winchester Model 1866 rifles had frames made from a type of bronze known as gunmetal. The composition was 80-88% copper, 10-15% tin, and 2-5% zinc with a small amount of lead added to help fill the molds.

Uberti's replicas of the 1860 Henry and 1866 Yellowboy are currently only available chambered for 45 Colt or 44-40, although a friend does have an older 1866 chambered for 38 Special. You will not find any Uberti brass framed lever guns chambered for 357 Magnum, I suspect because the impulse of recoil might tend to stretch the brass. Don't forget, both of these rifles were originally chambered for the 44 Henry Rimfire cartridge, which was pretty anemic by modern standards. 45 Colt and 44-40 pack more punch than the old 44 Henry Rimfire round.

I seem to recall an incident Mike Venturino mentioned in one of his books. He was looking at buying a used replica of the Henry or 1866, the details escape me right now. Mike went off on a trip before buying the rifle, and while he was away the owner ran some ammo in that developed too much pressure, probably higher than SAAMI Max. When Mike got home the brass had stretched and the head spacing was ruined. He did not buy the rifle.

But with standard SAAMI spec ammo the brass framed rifles are fine.
Old October 25, 2022, 02:23 AM   #7
bamaranger

CAP & BALL

Just followed a similar conversation regards cap'n ball revolvers on line elsewhere, and on Youtube. The Italian brass frame revolvers are true brass, not alloy, and will stretch and batter with heavy loads and may well with heavy use. The modern Henry centerfires are an alloy and much stronger.
Old October 25, 2022, 10:35 AM   #8
Jim Watson

The New Henry conventional centerfires like the Sidegate .30-30 are said to have receivers of "hardened brass."
I wonder what alloy and how hardened.
Lockup is like a Marlin with a vertical bolt engaging a notch in the breechblock, no doubt with shoulders in the receiver.