The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2019, 11:38 AM   #26
jag2

I started out, like many do, with a basic Rockchucker. At some point I decided I wanted a better press so I bought a Forster. Great press, no regrets. After I retired I started shooting a lot more, like weekly. I realized most of what I was shooting was 9mm, about 200 per session. Shorten the story, bought Dillon SDB for 9mm. Great decision. I rotate around thru different calibers weekly, mostly 45 ACP, 38 special and 32-20. A few other calibers only three or four times a year. It works out that I set up the Forster about once a month. Tough call on shooting 100 rounds a week of 38. Would consider buying another Dillon, but like I said I'm retired so time is not a factor but I always enjoy a new toy.
Buying a new press always seems a little expensive at the time but when you consider how long they will last (like the rest of your reloading life) they really are pretty cheap.
Old November 8, 2019, 12:00 PM   #27
Ben Dover

Just get a Dillon and be done with it.

I can convert my Dillons from 9MM to .30-06, or .357 mag to .223 in a few minutes.

A little more initial investment, but well worth it in the long haul.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 10, 2019, 08:25 AM   #28
DukeConnor

My 650 does nothing but 5.56. We shoot more 5.56 than anyother rifle caliber. Once we got it set up and running perfectly I was hesitant to mess with it.

SDB for the handgun stuff. Rockchucker handles the 30 cal duties.
I also have a lee c press for cast bullet sizing.
I will be adding a 550 to the stable for Christmas.

I really enjoy reloading and using a variety of presses.
Old November 10, 2019, 06:19 PM   #29
dyl

Quote:
50 rounds in a half hour. And, once your dies are properly adjusted, the next time you reload it will take even less time. Hope that helps.
Yes it does.

Quote:
Just get a Dillon and be done with it.
- your username checks out Ben Dover!

I have learned a good bit fiddling around with my press. Mostly character building. Glad that's over with (I hope!). I think I must have gotten a press that was more fiddly than other Lees because some had theirs working pretty well quickly. In my case, I took a break for 3 years or so, so I actually wasn't happy with the operation until... 7-8 years after I purchased it.
Old November 11, 2019, 08:27 PM   #30
kmw1954

Have 2 Lee Progressive presses and use them both. 1. Lee Pro1000, 1. Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro. The ABLP is a recent addition because I needed a 4th station for a 45acp load. Otherwise I have 2 carriers for the Pro1000, one each with a large and small primer chute and then I have shell plates for the 38/357, 380/223, 9mm/40 and the 45acp.

On the Pro1000 I can change from one to another in about 10 minutes and that is taking my time. With tool heads already set up with dies it is very quick and in most cases the only adjustments that are needed to be made are powder charge and seating depth and those adjust quickly and simply. Only other adjustment is to the case feeder.
Old November 11, 2019, 08:48 PM   #31
stagpanther

I Have two lees, a Hornady and a Lyman. The lee classic is a lifesaver for me cause it also does 1.25" dies for my 338 lapua magnum. Probably will get either a Dillon or Forster eventually.