The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2007, 12:42 AM   #26
bushidomosquito

If killing vamps and werewolves were my game, I'd go with a frangible silver hollowpoint jacket filled with compressed silver casting grain and loaded to highest velocity for maximum fragmentation, kind of a pure silver Glasser. To quote the sexiest werewolf huntress ever, "Let's see the bastards try to dig those out."

But seriously folks, I did a little math and figured out that, not counting my time, which reloaders never do i'm told, I can make a 155 gr. .40 hollowpoint for about $4.50. Of course .45 would be the next step but I wouldn't bother with 9mm unless I get a beautiful safe queen .357 mag some day. Silver is about $14 an ounce now and I would need a few hundred dollars worth to get started considering I could cast about 40 to 50 at a time. Now here's where I could use some input from the bullet gurus. My Barnes solid copper xpbs weigh in at 155 gr. but they're kind of long compared to a lead hp with the same cavity size. Silver's weight just about splits the difference between copper and lead. Since I want to shave about 3/16" off the base of the Barnes, can I make the cavity slightly smaller and shallower to shift the weight forward and expect them to stabilize? Should I just find a good jhp and try to duplicate the profile as best I can? Anyone know of a good hp bullet mold that is slightly larger than .400" to make up for shrinkage? If I could find that I would just pour the casting wax into it.

I think it's safe to say that a modern firearm with all the fancy engraving and bling better be a tack driver just like that high priced custom pocketknife better be able to split hairs all day. It's just expected. IMHO real silver bullets should be damn near match grade. If I'm going to do this, most of my time and effort will be spent getting these things to fly straight and group well. Without that it's all for show. I expect a good deal of trial and error but want to start out as close to perfect as possible.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:02 AM   #27
bushidomosquito

Six of each caliber...

Splat, I haven't even begun to think about selling these yet. Cant imagine the liability involved. Wouldn't even know what to charge while still in the r&d phase. But if you insist, I will accept a deposit of $15 each for the .38, .357,
.308s and $20 for the ACPs for my start up costs.
That brings your tab to $390. Each bullet will be shipped with sized, polished and gold plated new brass and any loading info I have worked up. The rest is on you.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:32 PM   #28
Archie

Now that you mention it...

I think a real silver cast bullet would make a rather distinctive and attractive pendant.

In silver, I would like a replica .45 Colt bullet; the original was 255 grains, round nose ogive with a flat meplat.

I've always wanted a gold version of the old Elmer Keith 429421 bullet on a chain. (Chain attaches to the base, not the nose.)

Any thoughts?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old December 4, 2007, 02:44 PM   #29
bushidomosquito

If jewellery is all your after, you don't have to wait for me to work out all these pesky details. If you have one of the bullets that you like, just take it to any custom jeweler and they could make a pattern and mold to cast it. It's amazing what they can do with silicone molding compound and wax injection. I've seen solid gold strawberries, flowers and even insects that looked like the real thing!
Old December 4, 2007, 03:38 PM   #30
Splat!!

Quote:
Splat, I haven't even begun to think about selling these yet. Cant imagine the liability involved. Wouldn't even know what to charge while still in the r&d phase. But if you insist, I will accept a deposit of $15 each for the .38, .357,
.308s and $20 for the ACPs for my start up costs.
That brings your tab to $390. Each bullet will be shipped with sized, polished and gold plated new brass and any loading info I have worked up. The rest is on you.
Can I have them by Christmas??