The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 25, 2022, 07:04 PM   #1
emissary1911

shooting sabot bullet out of a bergera muzzelloader

Got a question for all of the blackpowder guys?
I have a Bergera muzzle-loader and I am having trouble getting good accuracy out of saboted bullets!
I have tried everything ,but my shots are still all over the place ,but now if I use the aero lite poly tip bullets with just the skirt, i can put the shot in the same holed at 100yrds.
Can anyone give me an idea of whats going on ,with the sabot bullets?
BTW , my rifle is 45 cal !
Old March 25, 2022, 07:43 PM   #2
Pahoo

For starters

Quote:
Can anyone give me an idea of whats going on ,with the sabot bullets?
BTW , my rifle is 45 cal !
There are a number of reasons that can cause problems. The one that I see most often, is the qualty of the sabot. I Never went wrong with the Hornady. Can you tell us more about your shot-string. Read your Sabots after and note their condition. Also, what loading jag are you using?

Be Safe !!!
Old March 26, 2022, 04:43 PM   #3
emissary1911

The bullets are aero-lite saboted 40 cal bullets. Im am using the jag thats fits the bullets exactly!

I have another question, Is it possible that the sabot spinning around the outside of the bullet while it traveling down the barrel?
BTW, the sabot look fine ,marked with the rifling of the barrel, you can tell the sabot made good contact with the rifling.

The shot string looks like i use a shotgun, one next to the bullseye, the next one 2 inches high, the next one low may get lucky and get 2 shots next to each other, oh, and I'm using a tripod with the rifle lock in, i have also did it with my bipod mounted on the gun
Old March 27, 2022, 08:53 PM   #4
.358 whelen

never could get my slow twist 1-48 to shoot sabots had to use full size bullets