The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 9, 2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Hardy

One thing should be mentioned---The 3rd comes in gray box and if inlay is not cracked---it's good and what makes it even better is if you have the white shipping box They are getting fewer. I did see a RE Lee in all its boxes for just over $1000.00 on Guns International. That is a 2nd and probably good deal for collector.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:04 PM   #27
Slamfire

Quote:
That's the first I've heard of Colt doing anything to a sig series.
This is a copy of my letter to the company when I sent my 3rd Model back for work.

The bastards reblued my pistol, in doing so polished off the cylinder scenes and the barrel markings.

I regret not sending the thing back for replacement as they ruined it.

Quote:
Colt Black Powder Arms Company (CBAC) 29-Jul-99
110 8th Street
Brooklyn New York 11215
(718)499-4678

Gentlemen:

Per telephone conversation with J.D. Cabrera:

I am returning this Colt 3rd Model Dragoon , serial number xxxxxx for warranty work. Enclosed is my sales invoice, dated 22 June 99.

Problems:

I am having misfires and hangfires with the pistol. #10 Remington and CCI caps would not fit the nipples. #11 CCI and Remington would. I seated the #11 as deep as I could on the nipples. Unfortunately, I would pull the trigger and get a misfire. In one case the pistol misfired on all six cylinders. Then as each cylinder was rotated for the second attempt, the cylinders fired correctly. I think the hammer is seating the cap. Maybe the hammer nose is too short. The hammer nose is indented with the nipple pattern. Maybe it is too soft. Maybe that is contributing to excessive head space. Or maybe there is a nipple problem.

I have cylinder throw-by on this pistol. The cylinder stop is not always catching the cylinder and it goes past the 12 OC position.

The spring comes off the hand and spring assembly. Is this normal? With my other pistols, these are not separable.

Per J.D. Install a taller front sight for $25.00. This pistol shoots about 2 feet high at 25 yards. Please install a tall front sight, one that I can file down to get a correct zero at 25 yards.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:51 PM   #28
Hardy

Dang.... Well, I guess now we need to discuss if anyone cares to, the quality and reliability of shootin them or the collector that never fired his or hers. I had an 1860 Army that I fired and shot great compared to the others. But I had an 1851 Navy 3rd that had the prettiest grips in the world made out of wood but couldn't hit a can at 15 ft. Um...
Old March 13, 2011, 08:36 PM   #29
denster

Slamfire

The letter you posted explains a lot. You sent your gun back to Colt Black Powder Firearms which is an entirely different entity than Colt.
As Fingers, Hawg and MCB pointed out the third gens were not manufactured by Colt and are not recognised as Colts. They were manufactured by Lou Imperato (also the founder of Henry Firearms) in Brooklyn, NY. Interesting is that Lou made most of the 2nd gens also but those were inspected by Colt and therefore recognised and warrented by them.
Old March 13, 2011, 09:02 PM   #30
Hardy

denster is right.. The 3rd gen colts came w/ black manual and a warranty only by them-- Colt Black Powder Firearms. But, they do have colt stamped on them and are out of production. That is where I see some value in them, not to shoot but collect. As for example, the Marine 7.5 inch dragoon w/gold cylinder, screws, and loading lever, less than 1000 were made. How many did the Italians make in the last 12 years? But...I thought Laugh-In would outlive HeeHaw..so what do I know
Old March 14, 2011, 09:27 AM   #31
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy
But...I thought Laugh-In would outlive HeeHaw..so what do I know
Ha Ha, that's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy
we need to discuss if anyone cares to, the quality and reliability of shootin them or the collector that never fired his or hers
The 3rd gens have more quality control issues. These never had a finial inspection by Colt.

It's my understanding that Lou was a wheeler dealer and as many revolvers went out the back door as the front door. Repeat sales and quality was not at the top of the list.

My 3rd gens all have a great finish but most needed some finial fitting to make them 100%. All are good shooters with a tune up.
Old March 14, 2011, 06:47 PM   #32
Hardy

I have one (3rd)1849 pocket left that is PURE coated with silverplating(backstrap/trigger guard) Even though there is some flaking, it is a showpiece to most.It's gorgeous. Not everyone critiques these or has the info or knowledge about these 3rds that you have. That is why I think these postings are useful to the interested collector investing. The other 3rd 49 appeared to be nickel plated. I think right now in 2011, the collector is looking for these that are still in a perfect no crack liner. The liners gave way to many since they were light cardboard w/scant of felt? And possibly Wd 40 or other lubicants dissolved the cardboard or just clumsy handling. But the ones that are not cracked in that gray box, that has colt manual along with white shipping box should be a must for serious collecters to demand when shopping for collectble BP revolvers.
WBH
Old March 14, 2011, 06:52 PM   #33
Hardy

So to reiterate and also forget the arguments over whether they are true colts or not, is too determine their value and future value. They are out of production guns that have colt stamped on them. I just want to reinforce investment value to those interested in buying-- to make sure those boxes are not cracked and shipping box/ manual comes to.
Old March 14, 2011, 07:11 PM   #34
Hardy

And one more thing before my stupi wind gives out and I'll leave yu alone for awhile.

I remember being about 7 years old getting a Mattel six shooter that looked just like the real McCoy that even had rotating cylinder where you put brass cartridges that spring loaded a grey bullet and a stick on cap. I talked w/ some older folks and everyone had one. They all said they lost their gray bullets /just like I did/ and no one still has them. I haven't checked internet on these but the holsters were great they remember. I think they were called "fanners." Does anyone still have theirs? I bet if you had one still in box w/papers / holster --you'd have a real pricy piece
Old March 19, 2011, 04:34 PM   #35
Hardy

Okay, I talked w/ retired gentleman that worked for colt and was instrumental in the licensed company Colt Blackpowder Arms. He said that this company was licensed to build the 3rd gen colts/ assembled in Brookland and everygun was inspected by Colt International (of course parts came from Italy as so did for the 2nd gens) before they were stamped Colt. Colt kept inventory and did not let one go out without Colt inspection .
Old March 19, 2011, 04:59 PM   #36
junkman_01

Besides spelling Brooklyn incorrectly, your 'inside information' flies in the face of this quote from the article "History of Colt reproductions' by Dennis Adler.

"Imperato organized the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company in Brooklyn, New York in 1993. A year later, the 3rd Generation Colt Blackpowder Signature Series was introduced under a licensing agreement with Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc. Under this new "licensing" arrangement, Imperato not only manufactured the 3rd Generation black powder revolvers, he was also responsible for quality control, final inspection, marketing, advertising, sales, distribution and shipping to distributors or customers."

Ref: https://www.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF...fColtBlack.pdf
Old March 19, 2011, 05:29 PM   #37
Hardy

Well,I apoligize for my spelling since I only type with one finger. I was just telling you what a retired man from that company by the name of( K. England) told me. Maybe you are right. But he told me that they were inspected by Colt. I wasn't there. I don't know. In fact, the Colt Handgun book says the 3rds were all made by Uberti. But, they are in the colt book as being colts.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:33 PM   #38
Hawg

Sounds like somebody is getting their chain jerked.
Old March 19, 2011, 05:40 PM   #39
Hardy

Thanks for the pic and add for the mattel fanner I want it.

Well, as far as getting my chain jerked, won't be the first or probably the last. Just relaying info. As I said, I wasn't there. I rely on all of you for accurate info. And I believe you. I guess, it is up to the collector, hobbyist, shooter etc to decide what they are. Thank You
WBH
Old March 19, 2011, 06:18 PM   #40
Hawg

YW Hardy. There's also auctions for the gunbelt and the brass bullets that filled the loops.
Old March 19, 2011, 07:19 PM   #41
Hardy

Hawg,
Dang I believe you had one or you want one too

I looked at that box and everything. The cartridges have springs and pop the little gray bullets. Be kinda fun in the den--wouldn't it
Old March 19, 2011, 08:05 PM   #42
Hawg

I had a buddy that had one. I was just trying to help you out.
Old March 20, 2011, 03:17 PM   #43
Hardy

You did...thanks. I'm wondering about that biding price though
Old March 20, 2011, 11:29 PM   #44
Gaucho Gringo

I wish I had my Mattel, Hubley and all my other toy firearms and accessories from the late 50's - early 60's. I would not only be a minor celebrity but also be somewhat richer today. Anyway it was a fun time to grow up with all the westerns on TV and the movie theaters and then being able to buy the same guns and outfits at your local toy store and pretend you were your favorite western hero in playing with your friends and switching back to the bad guys because someone had to play them. Nobody thought anything wrong with this and I am glad I grew up in this time period. My now young adult children did not have this experience and I think they were deprived of a lot of childhood fun. I am trying to somehow get my 4 year old granddaughter involved in western & gun culture. It is not easy as children are taught that any type of gun is bad nowadays but I am trying.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old March 21, 2011, 06:32 PM   #45
Hardy

Gaucho,
I talked at the um watering hole w/ 2 guys that are 60+ and I ain't far behind--- about these fanners. They beamed and screamed---" I had a pair of them!!!" Best toy gun ever made!" And they wished they still had them. One guy who was a football star at Marshall way back swore up and down that the holsters were better than any. Well, I don't know about that. But I remember they were not made out of plastic. Maybe a light weight steel? And one asked if I remembered the "Paladin" gun that not only had the chess piece on the holster but also on the black grip? I think I do, but that is way back vague.

But you know what? Maybe these childhood memories of OUR kids' guns should go to another topic. Heck, at least they were not video! I still want to see more info on colt collectibles. HEY HEY
Old March 23, 2011, 09:45 PM   #46
Hardy

I'd like to show some of these 3rd gens---Yall want pics?
Old March 23, 2011, 10:08 PM   #47
arcticap

Yes, it's about time!
Old March 23, 2011, 10:44 PM   #48
Hardy

ok within 2 days
Old March 23, 2011, 10:57 PM   #49
Hawg

TEASE!!!!
Old March 24, 2011, 04:59 PM   #50
Hardy

No, my camera is loaded w real estate appraisals. As soon as I get them down and deleted-tommorrow- I'm gonna show some fantassstical pics!!!! Do you want just 3rds or others too?