The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 21, 2002, 11:31 PM   #1
Bob Locke

Front Sight

I have in my possession a certificate good for the 2-Day Defensive Handgun Course at FS. I am contemplating paying the difference and taking the 4-Day course instead.

Most of you know that I'm not a novice shooter. My last IDPA qualification put me at Expert/SSP.

With that in mind, any opinions on the matter?
Old July 24, 2002, 01:10 AM   #2
blades67

I'd just take the two-day course.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 26, 2002, 10:26 AM   #3
AAshooter

Bob, I have been to Front Sight several time. I would pay to upgrade to the four day course or look at buying a separate certificate for a 4-day course. If you can get a new cert, you might be able to use the current one you have for a skill builder class.

For first time attendees, I believe you can buy a 4-day certificate for a couple hundred bucks. As I recall, on http://www.frontsightalumni.com one guy was selling some as low as $150.

Either the 2-day or 4-day will spend the first half day on gun safety and handling. Since the class continues to build on itself, the last 2-days of the 4-day are probably the most valuable for the experienced shooter.

If you are like most shooters, after the two days you will be wanting more. And, if you have to travel from Colorado to attend you will want to get all you can out of each trip.

Go for the 4-day class. Even as an experienced shooter, I think you will learn a great deal. Let us know how it goes. In fact, let me know when you plan to go and I might see you there.
Old July 27, 2002, 12:42 AM   #4
Bob Locke

I'm looking at the end of October right now. Can't call the dates off the top of my head. My little brother is stationed at Nellis AFB, so I'm planning to make it a multi-purpose trip.

My thought process behind taking the two-day class is that it would fulfill the prerequisite for several of the advanced classes. With four kids and a wife, money is definitely an issue here. I was thinking that I would take the two-day "beginner's" (for lack of a better term) course and then drop the money on one of the advanced courses early next year.

Thanks for the advice, and I'd love to pick your brain about your experiences. Drop me a line ([email protected]) when you get a minute.
Old August 14, 2002, 05:00 PM   #5
GSB

Quote:
Most of you know that I'm not a novice shooter. My last IDPA qualification put me at Expert/SSP.
Although accuracy is a goal at Front Sight, the course really isn't about perfect accuracy as much as it is about mindset, the law, safe gun handling, and a lot of little details surrounding the practical aspects of carrying a weapon for self defense. A number of people I attended the 4-day with were IDPA competitors, and they felt they learned things that IDPA didn't give them. The plus for them was that they generally scored MUCH higher on the practical shooting test at the end of the course than the rest of us.

At the very least, you'll get to feel good about yourself when you dust the rest of the class in the final scoring.

All that said, I think that if I were in your shoes, I'd do what you plan - take the two day just to get entry into the more advanced classes. Sounds like the best use of your time and money.
Old August 15, 2002, 12:49 PM   #6
tackdrivr

My thought process behind taking the two-day class is that it would fulfill the prerequisite for several of the advanced classes.

Actually the two day class doesn't include a skills test. To qualify for some of the advanced classes you will need to shoot graduate or distinguished graduate on the skills test. The two day class will not accomplish your goals.

HTH

Fred Darling www.frontsight.com
Old August 15, 2002, 01:20 PM   #7
Bob Locke

Quote:
Actually the two day class doesn't include a skills test.
That's what I thought.

Okay, that settles it. Gonna take the 4-Day DHG and try for graduate/distinguished gradute on the skills test. Got an offer on the table right now for a grey certificate for $250, and I can use that for the 4-Day DHG. Need to check to see if the other certificate is good for the SkillBuilder.

Thanks all for the info (and esp. AAShooter for your PM's).
Old August 15, 2002, 06:40 PM   #8
GSB

Thanks tackdrivr, I didn't know that about the two day. Only took the 4-Day myself. I didn't think it covered everything it should have in that amount of time, but that's probably picking nits. There's always Thunder Ranch or Gunsite.
Old August 15, 2002, 06:45 PM   #9
AAshooter

I am glad I could help!