The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 19, 2002, 03:11 PM   #1
clem

M3

Can anyone tell me about a "M3 Imperial" knife? It looks like a bayonet blade parkarized with a leather handle. There is also a ordance bursting bomb on the hilt.
I came across it and me being a retired leatherneck, I'm use to K-Bars, it's got me wondering.
Thanks.
Old November 19, 2002, 03:25 PM   #2
Gomez

I can't tell you about that particular M3 (collector's value, maker, etc. but this ain't Antiques Roadshow), but I can tell you that the M3 was the successor to the M2 and the same blade that you see on the M3 was utilized on the M4- M7 bayonets. The blades were all the same. The bayonet fittings (cross guard and pommel) were unique on each model. The stacked leather washer handles became black bakelite plastic along the way. The M7 was the issue bayonet with the M16s until the new M9 whoopdido superknife was issued. My uncle, who served in WWII brought several M3s home with him and we used them in the workshop and yard until he died a few years ago. They still reside in a place of honour on his workbench in the garage.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Old November 19, 2002, 09:11 PM   #3
clem

Paul,
Thanks...that's what I needed to know....