The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2017, 06:15 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Are Glock 19 dimensions "perfect" for carry?

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Glock must be feeling pretty flattered. I've recently been wondering whether I shouldn't get something that size. I carry an XD Subcompact, and while I never thought an extra inch of muzzle length would make a difference, I've found that I really do shoot more accurately (especially quickly) with a longer sight radius. PPQ, XD duty, G19, whatever, I seem to shoot better with it.

Looking at options, I see that in pretty recent times both CZ and S&W have made major releases of guns that clone the G19's dimensions in almost every way. In fact I've read that the P10c is an almost perfect fit in Glock holsters. The G19 is one of the best selling models ever (or is it the best?) and it's pretty clear that its competitors are going directly at them, almost like saying "Hey gun market, we'll sell you a Glock 19 that doesn't have the features that people don't like about it." Now you can have a Glock, but not have to say you have a Glock

And truthfully, as someone who really isn't brand loyal in any part of my life, I found both the CZ and S&W 2.0 Compact to be better in my hands than the G19, Gen 4 of 5. They're all excellent products and if you can carry one, you can carry any because they're identically sized. If I decide to "size up" to one, it's almost certainly going to be the S&W only because it just seemed to "fit" best (which is a weird thing to say, having just said they're all the same size) I seemed to just shoot best with it and enjoyed it the most.

(Although CZ's stippling along the frame, where the support thumb rests in a "thumbs forward" grip is a really nice touch. I found it easier to keep my hands firmly planted on that one when recoiling...I may need to put a piece of skate tape on my other guns there).

But anyways, my rambling point here isn't whether people find Glock to be ideal, or the G19 ideal, but the Glock 19 dimensions to be ideal.

That's 7-ish inches long, 5 inches tall, and about 1.2 inches wide. There are tons more options in this size range too of course.
Old October 13, 2017, 06:23 AM   #2
shafter

In my opinion the Glock 19/23 is a pretty hard package to beat in terms of having good capacity, easy to shoot, and quite concealable without too much difficulty. It's hard to call it perfect, but it's awfully hard to go wrong with one.
Old October 13, 2017, 06:31 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

The G19 is a hot seller for a reason. As a “jack-of-all-trades, if-I-could-only-have-one” gun, it’s hard to beat. The compact class of pistol (including the G19 & it’s competition) is just about the perfect size for me, most of the time.
Old October 13, 2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Ridgerunner665

What they said... But they left one out.

The Glock 32 is the same size, and adds another fine quality to the list of good things....power.

The most bang for your buck, 357 Sig.
Old October 13, 2017, 06:34 AM   #5
CDW4ME

Glock 19/23 is easy to carry, good primary weapon.

Slim single stack 9mm (Kahr PM9 / Glock 43) is not my idea of a primary weapon, but is okay as 2nd option in pocket to larger pistol IWB.
If I carry a single stack its a 1911.
Old October 13, 2017, 06:36 AM   #6
Brit

The different models of Glock 19's, over the years, give great options for carry.

Some folks love the smoother finish, as in the first Glock 19's. Or the lack of finger grooves, on the latest, the Glock 5s.

The reason the Glock 19, any era, is so popular, some say the most popular model for carry in the world, is simple. Accurate, great concealability (Is that a word?) and has 16 great bullets, 9mm hollow points.

My choice, after major cock-ups (Limp wristing, weak ammo, etc, etc!) given from Glock GA. Is the Gen 4, love the finger grooves, and the wee pyramids, on the grip, with TruGlo night sights.

If I was starting again, I would most likely go the #5, lots of new, and improved features. But I do OK with my Gen 4, thank you.
Old October 13, 2017, 06:37 AM   #7
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
But anyways, my rambling point here isn't whether people find Glock to be ideal, or the G19 ideal, but the Glock 19 dimensions to be ideal.

That's 7-ish inches long, 5 inches tall, and about 1.2 inches wide. There are tons more options in this size range too of course.

My Glock 30S is pretty much a 19 in .45... and I’m very happy with it. Only better thing is that I can shorten the grip length up slightly by going with a 9 rounder over a 10 rounder.

I actually was never a fan on the 19/23. Rather get the extra rounds and barrel length out of the 17/22... or even the 34/35.
Old October 13, 2017, 07:27 AM   #8
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball:
...Rather get the extra rounds and barrel length out of the 17/22... or even the 34/35.
You live in Jersey I’m in CO so 15 round mags are the legal limit, the 19 outsells the 17 by a wide margin everywhere especially here in CO. I can shoot my Gen3 19 about as well as my Gen 3 17, but these are both keepers.
Old October 13, 2017, 07:54 AM   #9
sarge83

I have both and prefer the 23, but I like the .40 caliber round.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:13 AM   #10
FITASC

To answer your question, the overall size isn't too bad, but they could improve on the "blockiness" of the overall shape - making it thinner, (finally adding adjustable backstrap) rounding off or angling the slide, bobtailing the heel would all make it IMO, even better for concealed carry. I would imagine some of those things might also shave off ~4 oz or so.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 13, 2017, 08:17 AM   #11
MandolinMan

Quote:
Not for everyone all the time. I think that's why the gun market is flooded with subcompacts, micro compacts, and mouse guns. I would say that the Glock 19 size gun is IDEAL, but not always practical to carry. I worked for a company that allowed their employees to carry while out and about ( often in high risk areas) with the strict qualification that it was never to be seen. Pocket carry ended up being what worked best for me. I carry a Glock 19 sized pistol when I can, but sometimes it proves to be too large. YMMV.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:18 AM   #12
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
You live in Jersey I’m in CO so 15 round mags are the legal limit, the 19 outsells the 17 by a wide margin everywhere especially here in CO. I can shoot my Gen3 19 about as well as my Gen 3 17, but these are both keepers.

They make factory 15 rounders for the 17/34.

But still, extra rounds for the .40 and the additional barrel length/sight radius.

Besides, I’m out of NJ in the next year.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:21 AM   #13
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
To answer your question, the overall size isn't too bad, but they could improve on the "blockiness" of the overall shape - making it thinner, (finally adding adjustable backstrap) rounding off or angling the slide, bobtailing the heel would all make it IMO, even better for concealed carry. I would imagine some of those things might also shave off ~4 oz or so.
I think those very things are what the competition is going after.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:27 AM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

What FITASC said exactly mirrors my thoughts. And while I understand the cost advantages in locking up on a square lug machined across the barrel hood, I believe the old Browning style 3-grooves in the slide lockup gives a slimmer profile for IWB carry.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:30 AM   #15
adamBomb

Quote:
For some yes, for some no, for some partly...

Its just another size gun. It works for some people. It doesn't work for others at all. It just depends. There are pocket guns, subcompacts, compacts (ie glock 19), and full size and tons of stuff in between. So yea tons of companies are trying to make compact size guns. The size and capacity fits a role/need just as a pocket gun does.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:35 AM   #16
Brit

And don't let the door hit you in the bum Screwball!
Old October 13, 2017, 08:41 AM   #17
TXAZ

The Glock is popular because it gives the most “bang for the buck”, not because it’s a great gun.

In most purchases over a dozen guns, low price meeting base requirements wins, not the best.
Simply put it’s a commodity product, not a refined precision machine.
If you like Glocks great, but it’s still a commodity item.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 13, 2017, 08:45 AM   #18
Fishbed77

Quote:
The Glock is popular because it gives the most “bang for the buck”, not because it’s a great gun.
The Glock 19 is a great gun.

It just happens to occupy a market with a lot of other great guns.
Old October 13, 2017, 09:31 AM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

Plenty of options out there and it's fun to bash Glocks, yet again.

Anyway, just a hint if you are thinking about a 357 Sig model - try it before you buy it. I've seen folks in classes that bought them for stopping power and found the recoil not to be to their liking. Switching them to a 9 mm and their performance was enhanced. If you can shoot it well - great - this is a caution for folks who just buy on "stopping power" hype.
Old October 13, 2017, 09:43 AM   #20
TunnelRat

What I will say about 357 SIG is beyond the recoil, make sure you hear it first. Even with quality hearing protection I find there is not much in this world as obnoxious as being in the lane over from the guys using 357 SIG (one of the departments near me uses it in their duty pistols and they frequent our range). When you're behind the pistol the sound has to wrap somewhat, but next to it I'd rather be in the bay over from an AR any day of the week.

As for the main topic, I'd probably agree. I have 3 G19s right now, a PPQ 4", CZ-P10c, P320c, you see the trend. They are all quite close to each other in size. I have owned and do own some fullsize pistols, but frankly I don't find I shoot them notably better than the G19 sized pistols. I also find I can carry them without too much difficulty, though of course there are easier options. I also think in terms of sales that size occupies the greatest following. I can say that in all the courses I've done fullsize pistols always seem fewer than the compact pistols. I think for many people they work well.

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 13, 2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old October 13, 2017, 10:19 AM   #21
mr bolo

The Glock 19 is the ideal size for practical use, small enough and light weight for carry and big enough to use as a combat pistol, plus it has a very large parts support / accessories, and places that do custom work or specialize in the Glock pistol

the others are just clones of the GLOCK with minor changes to attract buyers , competition.

if the Navy SEALs chose the Glock 19, it's good enough for me, they could have chose the others

Naval Special Warfare Command made a decision to add the Glock 19 to the available inventory of the SEAL Teams. They will slowly begin to phase out the Sig P226 and replace those with the Glock 19.

Last edited by mr bolo; October 13, 2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old October 13, 2017, 10:25 AM   #22
TailGator

That size of pistol is certainly popular for a lot of reasons, and versatility is a major one. I personally conceal the G26 better, but the 19 and its competition fits a sweet spot for an awful lot of people.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:11 AM   #23
sigarms228

IMO the Glock 19 is the gold standard in a concealable 15 round 9MM pistol as far as size, weight, full grip for most, and performance. Others have come pretty close but no cigar though the release of the M&P 2.0 Compact is the same size in height and capacity though a little bit heavier and time will tell how is stacks up as far as reliability and durability.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:11 AM   #24
mr bolo

I tried the Glock 26 and the grip is just too short and doesnt fit my hand, and if your going to use a magazine with a extension , why not just carry a G19 since the size is more practical

you dont save much space if your going to use a grip extension on the G26 plus you lose the longer more useful sight radius of the G19
Old October 13, 2017, 11:47 AM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

For what it is worth, I shoot the 26 quite well at IDPA, short range match distances. I would like to carry my G17 but the 26 and 19 are a touch more comfortable at times.

Of course, everybody has a different hand. What works for me and you can be different. I've taken intensive courses with a 26, it was just fine.