The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2022, 05:14 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

May have ruined my Powder coat powder.

So I left my powder in my trunk in plastic bottles for about 2 weeks. Got busy kind of forgot about it. I grabbed it out today as I had cast some bullets. it was clumped up really badly.

While it was in the trunk my trunk leaked during some bad storms, had about 1/2in of water in the spare tire area. It was also hot, in the 90F range.

The powder is clumpy and fluffy if that makes sense.

Did I completely ruin the powder? Did it get to hot and start to bake with the high temps in the trunk? Is is moisture? Can I dry it out and save it? I would really hate to have to buy new powder....

I also posted in CastBoolits before someone tells me to ask there. Waiting on answers.
Old May 25, 2022, 05:14 AM   #2
mehavey

Dry it
Shake it out in you usual Tupperware container to de-clump
Shake some bullets in it as usual.
Bake

Seriously doubt you have a problem.
Not to worry
Old May 25, 2022, 02:35 PM   #3
gwpercle

Sounds like the heat caused some , but not all to stick to itself .
Get a wire mesh strainer ...like the one in your wife's kitchen ...but don't use her's , over a container , pour some clumped powder in the strainer and gently tap the sides to get as much powder in the container and gently tap to loosen powder from clumps (this is how you sift flour) Throw the clumps away ... even if crushed back into a powder the heat will have affected the powder and it will not cook on correctly ...Throw the clumps away .
Then just use the rescued powder like normal and if you lucky the rest will be OK .
If the clumps fall apart easily then thats good powder , if clumps have to be crushed ... don't use those .

Note ...the strainer is a good way to separate the power from bullets after you have coated them ... the strainer catch's the bullets and the loose powder falls through strainer into the big container you catch power in .
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; May 25, 2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 25, 2022, 07:30 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

No way to tell from here what is due to moisture and what, if anything, is due to heat. My approach would be to get some bentonite clay oil absorber from AutoZone or some other such outfit and spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it in your oven at about 450F for an hour. Take it out out and cool it until it is quite warm but not burning hot to touch. Pour it into the bottom of a paper wine bottle bag and roll the bag up and put a rubber band around it. Put the powder container in the same plastic bag with the paper bag of dried bentonite and seal it. Wait a week and see if the clumps don't fall to dust.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 26, 2022, 08:05 AM   #5
Shadow9mm

I have a big safe sized silica gel pack was considering putting it in with that. Ill try and post some pictures tonight
Old May 26, 2022, 09:18 PM   #6
reddog81

Do you shake n bake?

I’d dry it out and do a test of 20 to 30 bullets. Try the smash test on a few. If that works test the rest with some actual reloads.

I wouldn’t worry about breaking up clumps as they powder will break up naturally when swirling bullets.
Old May 27, 2022, 02:46 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
Do you shake n bake?

I’d dry it out and do a test of 20 to 30 bullets. Try the smash test on a few. If that works test the rest with some actual reloads.

I wouldn’t worry about breaking up clumps as they powder will break up naturally when swirling bullets.
I do shake and bake. Probablem is the powder is all clumpy and fluffy. It is not wanting to stick to the bullets or clumps and coats unevenly.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:30 AM   #8
reddog81

I’d shake harder or buy new powder.

I have at least half a dozen different powders sitting in my basement unused. If money is an issue PM me and I can mail some.
Old June 2, 2022, 08:06 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

It dawns on me that if you have a rotary tumbler, you could put it in with a few brass or bronze balls in the half-inch size range and see if a short tumble doesn't re-powder it. In pyrotechnics, antimony balls are frequently used, as they are hard and non-sparking.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle