The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2022, 03:37 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

NOE 360-182-WFN brass mold

Did my first pours with my new NOE mold today. I'm not happy, on the struggle bus big time.

I could not get things hot enough. I had my lee furnace up to HI, and let the furnace, with the mold on top, warm up for around 30min. The lead was pouring smoothly. the sprues were staying liquid for a normal amount of time. However the bullets had tons of wrinkles and rounded spots everywhere. I could not get clean pours. I threw the bad bullets back in put the mold on top and let everything warm back up for another 20min or so. tried again, a little better but still problems. tried again got a few useable casts, maybe 5 of so before the mold cooled down too much.

The mold is HEAVY, my hand was hurting. I will NEVER buy a brass mold again unless its a 2 cavity. Super hard to work with.

The sprue plate annoying. It swings too freely. it swung all the way back and burned me at least once. going to tighten it down.

After casting I found that the shank for the gas check is maybe a touch oversized. its SNUG getting a gas check on. I was hoping to powder coat.... but not sure if I will be able to get my gas checks on....

After all that I cast some 124g round nose 9mm and some 158g 38spl wide flat nose from my inexpensive lee molds. other than having to turn the temp down on my mold cause the bullets were frosting, I was able to cast some beautiful bullets.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg todays castin.jpg (399.0 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 31, 2022 at 04:19 PM.
Old February 1, 2022, 02:00 AM   #2
armoredman

I've never used a brass mold. I have one NOE mold and it is perfect, but it's not brass. I didn't think brass would cool down that fast.
Old February 1, 2022, 06:33 AM   #3
mehavey

The heaviness/sprue swing is an innate characteristic gang moulds -- nothing to be done,

I assume the OP scrubbed the bejeezes out of the mould w/ toothbrush/dishsoap under hot water before casting.

Press/crimp the gas check on (or pre-size with LEE sizer before PC'g -- no big deal.
(I use both/either/or the Lyman 450 Gas-Check Seater or the Lee as circumstances require.) YMMV

(PM me if that NOE mould needs a new home)
Old February 4, 2022, 11:24 AM   #4
rickt300

I broke my wrist bullriding back in the 70's, I don't buy anything heavier than a 2 cavity mold and have even started to use aluminum molds. But the facts are brass molds require a longer break in period and need to be squeaky clean to start with.
Old February 6, 2022, 03:52 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

So, my hand is getting stronger, but its still a heavy mold. my lead thermometer came in today and I grabbed my infared thermometer.

Lead has been WAY hot. Accoring to my new thermometer I have probably been casting around 900-1000 degrees... sheesh. I got it regulated down into the 750 range. I left the mold on top of the furnace to heat. it was only getting to around 215F, way too cold. took it inside and put it on a electric stove burner, got it up to about 375F. First 2 castings had a few problems but nothing crazy. After that I got mostly good clean bullets! Brass likes to be run HOT...
Old February 6, 2022, 10:59 PM   #6
Beagle333

Brass does like to be run hot. I use a mold oven to preheat my mold (hot plate with coffee can on top). And I run my lead about 725°. But even with preheating, I have to cast fast until I get the mold to the temp it likes, then I can slow down and enjoy the process. You have to cast really fast at the first though, to get everything hot and working good. Especially if you have any HP molds. Good luck!
Have a Colt and a smile.