The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Old 454

Just loaded my first .45 acp

well my press is up and running and I have reloaded my first rounds.

I reloaded .45 acp with SNS Castings 230 grain rn with 4.4 grains of tite group.

All bullets measured out to 1.250 OAL

I droped few in the chamber of my 45 and all seated well and when the I turn the gun upside down the all fell out easly from the chamber, then ran some in the mag and all fit well in the mag, then ejected them through the gun and all seated and ejected very nice, no jams or stove pipes.

So its off to the range I go this week end and see how they preform!
Old March 22, 2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Ethan.G

please let us know how that works out for you, im thinking about buying some titegroup to use in 45. and .380acp
Old March 27, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Old 454

from the range.

Well I went to the range last Sunday and fired my first reloaded rounds, I still have all my digits attached to my hands.lol

All rounds fired as I had hoped all went bang no FTF or FTE.

Mixed brass .45acp .230 grain RN lead from STS with CCI LPP and 4.4 grains of Titegroup and a COAL of 1.250, this is about a mid load according to the LEE book with 4.0 the minimum amd 4.8 the max. I figured this probly gave me around 800 FPS.

Shots were smooth and not to much recoil, but Titegroup seems a little smoky and not much flash. not to bad all in all. I think when I run out of this Titegroup I am going to give AA#5 a try.

I just want to say thank you to all who took there time to answer all my questions this past winter as I read up on the reloading. thanks again you all are the best!
Old March 27, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I'm thinking about trying either WST or AA5 next in .45 apc. I think I will try using 185 JHP. It should be interesting to see how these might turn out. It is always fun to see how a new load you have worked up is going to work.
Old March 27, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

All cast bullets will shoot a bit smokey from the lube. Load and shoot a few FMJ to see what the powder is really like.
Old March 27, 2012, 06:36 PM   #6
89blazin

reloads

Good for you Old 454. Lot's of people like to discuss cost savings to justify reloading. I just plain enjoy putting them together and then letting one of my weapons help take them apart. Feels good doesn't it?
Old March 27, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
bitttorrrent

Just loaded a handful of my first .45 with Dad showing me how. I helped him when I was 10 but don't remember.

Replaced a few parts under warranty on his dillon and now works smooth. my only hiccup was not getting the primer seated 100% of time. I just had trouble feeling when it was in.

Anyone else have this problem? Not really a problem as only had a few in about a 1000 rounds total. I think i am not pushing the lever hard enough forward before the next stroke.
Old March 28, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Old 454

Yes it does feel good, the fact that you can make some thing like ammunition is a great feeling especialy when it functions as it is supposed to.

Its also good to be part of a forum where so many people will part with there pearls of wisdom so you don't fall into to many mistakes along the way.

I am also learning this along with my two sons, its nice to know that I can pass this on to them when its time for the dirt nap!....hope that won't be for awhile yet....lol

Thanks again to all for your time and info!

I am sure I will be pestering you more along the way.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:06 PM   #9
mnhntr

I like A#5. I just tested some on a chrono. Check the numbers I got in the thread above.