The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 16, 2011, 06:07 PM   #1
WyomingWhitetail

Any body build a BP double rifle

So im just thinking as i have many other projects on my list before i would get to this but i love the elegance of double rifles but i can't afford a cartridge version and im not ready to try and build an action yet. I was thinking that a muzzleloading version would be much easier to build and would be fun to shoot and would be great to hunt with. Im thinking a .54 or .58 cal percussion with two triggers. So anybody have one of these or better yet has anyone actually built one of them.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:29 PM   #2
jackpine

you could mix and match some dbl shotgun and standard rifle parts to get a dbl rifle together but it would cost you more than a kodiak double muzzle stuffer. The hard part is barrel regulation, it's more of an art than a science.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:33 PM   #3
WyomingWhitetail

yea ive been reading some on the barrel regulating and that sounds like a challenge. i enjoy building things so thats why i would be interested in building one.
Old February 16, 2011, 08:26 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I would think you'd have to weigh in the "cost factor" on parts versus what you can buy a good used S x S for - unless you've accumulated some that would work - It seems like by the time you purchased the parts you might be close to what you could pick up a used one for? - are you going to use something like two Green Mountain barrels (36") or take a 42" and cut it in half to have a rifle with 21" barrels? Just some things to consider - Of course if you're in to the "creative side" and like to build things and figure 'em out - it could be lots of fun. I've owned several antique rifle/shotgun side X side combinations and have know several who have built S x S muzzleloading shotguns. I have often thought it would be fun to build an over/under rifle - still the same number of parts though as a S x S. I hope you'll keep us all posted on what you're going to do and hopefully some photos as well - sounds like an interesting project! Best of luck to you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 16, 2011, 08:35 PM   #5
WyomingWhitetail

hmm i hadn't thought about cutting a barrel in half and building it as a little shorter barrel. might not shoot as well as a longer one but sure would be fast handling with the right balance. I will probably hunt deer with this occasionally but mostly just shoot it. like i said it will probably be a while before i got around to this as i have to finish a mauser hunting rifle and a marlin in .219 zipper first. Just looking for ideals and inspiration.
Old February 17, 2011, 01:29 AM   #6
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine
you could mix and match some dbl shotgun and standard rifle parts to get a dbl rifle together but it would cost you more than a kodiak double muzzle stuffer. The hard part is barrel regulation, it's more of an art than a science.
But if it incorporated a firearms receiver in its construction then the receiver would be restricted as if it was still a centerfire rifle.
A firearms receiver generally remains a firearms receiver until it's actually demilled and then formally recognized by the BATF as meeting the requirements of being demilled.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:24 PM   #7
WyomingWhitetail

well i know several people who have built a ton of blackpowder guns so im not worried about a legal aspect. Not sure if its what you talking about but barrel regulation refers to "tuning" the two barrels so that they hit the same point of aim at a specific distance. Would still like to see or hear any ideals for such a project.
Old February 17, 2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Pahoo

Seems to me that a few years back, I say a SXS made by CVA and both bores were .50. Do not remember what it was called but it did have a name rather than a number. ........

Be Safe !!!
Old February 17, 2011, 03:44 PM   #9
WyomingWhitetail

Yea I know there are a few commercially available and seeing the 72 cal kodiak was what got me thinking about this. Not sure if I would want a big bore or something more like a 54 or 58.
Old February 17, 2011, 04:01 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

worked on this with a side by side 577 Snider cartridge gun as a goal... I picked up a couple old solid rabbit ear shotguns ( looked for a greenier cross bolt for strength )

we next did an expiriement by fitting a pair of .410 barrel liners ( wich of course just flopped around inside the 12 ga barrels... at least until we marked each barrel 1/3 of the way around, & drilled & tapped holes for "set screws" this allowed roughly 1/8" of barrel liner movement inside the outer barrel... I was able to get .410 slugs to regulate at 50 yards by adjusting those set screws... Idea being, if I could do this with a bigger bore ( the 577 ) the gun would be lighter ( the double .410 was heavy ) but then would later fill the gap between the barrel & liner with epoxy or ???

this would be a pretty easy way to regulate a set of barrels
Old February 17, 2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Rifleman1776

There have been many, many double bp rifles made.
The old English big game rifles were almost always double barreled.
In other European countries hunting rifles were invariable double, or triple barreled. Even today the 'drilling' styles have multi-barrels.
Various craftsmen from centuries back made double rifles and some are still made by contemporary craftmen. I have seen some beauties.
And there are the swivel breech style. Complex, beautiful and functional.
Yes, CVA did make the Kodiak double barreled percussion hunting rilfe. I know it was made in .50 cal. but may have also come in .54, I'm just not positive on that.
Answer is 'yes', lots and lots.
Old February 18, 2011, 03:46 AM   #12
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man
this would be a pretty easy way to regulate a set of barrels
Traditions sells an over/under express double rifle that's a .50 inline with double triggers. Their over under design includes an innovative barrel jack for fine tuning its barrel regulation to produce fine groups beyond 100 yards with saboted bullets. This modernized over under concept isn't limited to inline ignitions, but being a .50 with a wood stock adds up to it weighing 12.5 lbs.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=264847

Last edited by arcticap; February 18, 2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old February 18, 2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

you don't see a pic on that link, of the jack screw adjustment system... but it sounds like the same "type" of system used on my Russian Remington double ( I got lucky enough to get one of the few imported side by side 45-70 doubles a coulple years ago )

really like this rifle... this is the barrel regulating system...

one of my "other doubles" before the .410 barreles were installed on this one...