The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 8, 2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Dave Sample

Work in Progress

Dudly Doowrite meets Snidely Whiplash as Captain Eagle tries to over come the Evil Mojo in his new shooter, EAGLE III!

Old June 8, 2005, 06:25 PM   #2
Dave Sample

This one is a Carbon Steel lower end with Stainless Steel Slide (Ugh)! I picked the top end up at a gunstore (Yuk) and thought it was blue steel in the white. Much later I realized it was the Evil Mojo!

The lower end has been blasted with the rought stuff on the rounds just like the slide has. Then we did the sides and flats in the glass media to make a contrast in both metals. I will put up some pictures after it is blued and we will see how thius gun works then. It should be a fun one! It has a Novak front with a solid pin, and will have a Bo-Mar adjustable rear when we complete it.
Old June 8, 2005, 11:30 PM   #3
HunterTRW

Greetings from Frostbite Falls:

According to Inspector Fenwick (and Jay Ward), Dudley's last name is spelled Do-Right, not Doowrite.

Had Dudley carried a piece like the one you are crafting, I doubt that Snidely would have given him nearly as much trouble as he did. (What do the RCMP carry?)

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old June 9, 2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Dave Sample

Thanks for the correction! I did know the correct spelling but was afraid to use it! Also, I am glad you like the W.I.P.. I should be able to use it out to 300 yards with the 400 Cor-Bon loads. I hope the Evil Mojo in that slide can be overcome as it was very hard to fit and lap in. I have set it up like a Bullseye Gun so it does not pass the "Gravity Test" yet. Since it is a Toy Gun and my own personal firearm, I am not concerned about reliability at this point in time. I am getting to like that big flat top slide and hope it turns out like I plan. I am not going to checker it as I plan to shoot it a lot and it won't be a carry gun for CCW. It would be too hard on the Gangsta's.

I am not going to use anything fancy on the thumb safety, but I will do the 30 LPI on the underneath of the slide stop for ease of operation. I like the standard thumb safety just fine, in fact on some of my 1911's , I like the WWI version.

Here is what the rear sight looks like. i like to "Melt" the Bo-Mars and then blast them and blue them in a satin black finish.
Old June 10, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5
beenthere

Work in Progress

Evil Mojo or not (I like stainless) that is going to finish up into a beautiful hunk of iron. On second thought, it's pretty ugly and I'd suffer through possession anxieties if you want to throw it my way.

Ron
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old June 10, 2005, 12:18 PM   #6
beenthere

Do-Right Special

Hi Dave,

Didn't even notice that was your posting till I went back to check it out. Now we know it will not only be beautiful but FINE in all respects. Congratulations.

Ron
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old June 10, 2005, 06:30 PM   #7
sjstill

Looks like it'll be a dandy!

I've been mildly interested in the 400 CorBon, but have never taken the plunge. Do like the 10mm, though

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
Old June 22, 2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Dave Sample

I have this one put together now and it looks pretty nifty. I will post some pictures later after I take some of the bunch that went together yesterday here at Falling Rock. We went to Gunsite and picked up three batches of bluing which makes about four guns complete now. Odds and ends include the re-buiilt Gold Cup and the '70 series Colt that was a basket case when it came here, ruined by a "do it your selfer", who managed to destroy the feed ramp and a lot of other stuff including the worst beavertail fit I have ever seen. It is now a neat '70 Series Colt shooter for old tired eyes and I hope you enjoy seeing what we do to these terrible guns that come here to the Court of Last Resort. I take no pleasure in doing this kind of work, but I am always delighted with a good result that did not cost a lot of bucks to repair. Pictures are coming soon!
Old June 22, 2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Dave Sample

Well, here is good old EAGLE III in it's final state.

Old June 22, 2005, 07:04 PM   #10
Dave Sample

Here is the completed re-build of the '70 Series Colt. The "T" is for Taylor.

It is a nice gun now with all the things we need for old eyes to see the targets. The new sights are the Caspian Diamond Ghost Ring with a Novak front cut with a fiber optic green insert.

Old June 23, 2005, 08:19 AM   #11
Harry Bonar

work in process

Dear Dave:
A SUPER, SUPER, GREAT looking gun! You are a pistolsmith par-exceelance!

Harry B.
Old June 23, 2005, 06:36 PM   #12
Dave Sample

Thanks Harry. Here is a few of the GEN CE LE MAY 45 Commamder size Evil Mojo that I got put together yesterday, also. I am not happy with the stock Colt Trigger so I am going to put another trigger in it before we shoot it. This is an Old Randall slide with a new top end, pre 70 series Colt Commander barrel, Caspian Diamond Ghost ring rear sight with a red fiber optic front for quick and dirty day time work. I have had this hanging around for years and want to get these guns finished so we can play with them.

Old June 24, 2005, 10:46 AM   #13
M V Dell

That "T" trigger looks a lot like the Teddy Jacobson trigger I have on one of my pistols. The teflon rods mounted on the top and bottom make it a very nice trigger.

Last edited by M V Dell; June 24, 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old June 24, 2005, 10:54 AM   #14
dale taylor

Looks like Taylor trigger to me. Green rod makes sense with red targets. Not my gun however. [email protected]
Old June 24, 2005, 11:44 AM   #15
Dave Sample

We had some stuff that we needed to get rid of that was lying around here for quite a while. Teddy had sent me this trigger as a gift, but it did not work in any of my Custom 1911's so we thought it would be good to use it in this '70 Series Colt rather than throw it away. Remember that this gun was junk when it came here. The owner had two of the trigger groups that Teddy sells so we got rid of one group in this gun after I got rid of the bling and re-cut all of the angles on the sear and hammer hooks. I have my own way of doing 1911 triggers and so this one came out nice and we got rid of some junk that was otherwise just taking up space here. (Don't try this at home!). The idea was to get this old timer running again with a minimum amout of money spent and I think we did a great job of that. It was either use the Teddy stuff or use some left over Norinco parts. This work was done as a favor to two pals of mine that were stuck with a butchered 1911 Colt. The Court of Last Resort comes through one more time

Old June 24, 2005, 12:24 PM   #16
Incursion

People like Steve Camp and others including Roy Huntington who is the editor of American Handgunner have seen this trigger either in a picture or in Roy's case, he has a sample trigger.
Old June 24, 2005, 12:48 PM   #17
racinstylez

Nice work.
Old June 24, 2005, 01:33 PM   #18
Dave Sample

Hey! If that is a "Sample Trigger", why isn't that an "S" on it?

I am aware of the whole Trigger Story. It cost Teddy a whole bunch of money to design a trigger that he couldn't afford to sell. He is a very generous man, if he likes you. I offered to send it back to him but he insisted that I keep it.

We tried it in the $225.00 Norinco, but it didn't work very well.. Now it is gone! Thanks to Teddy for the gift! The rest of that trigger group cost big bucks. I am just glad that we found a use for it. I had to blast the Bling away though, it hurt my old eyes. Now the "T" looks nice. And the "T" stands for..................Trigger! My favorite Horse! Happy Trails to you.........

This is how the China Gun ended up, with the Gun Guts From CMC, Colt grip safety, and a S&A mainspring housing that was messed up and then saved with a little file work. It shoots a lot better now. I did like the China Bling, though.
Old June 24, 2005, 03:21 PM   #19
Dean Taylor

The older series 70 is my 1911. It did not run due to excessive metal removal by some unknown. The receiver was welded up, recut and tuned up. Many internals were replaced.

All my pistols have a T somewhere as my name is Taylor. As far as I am concerned the T is for Taylor like my other pistols.

The parts for this 1911 are all spares not scheduled to be used in a custom build.

For me there are two important things about this 1911.

1- It is a junker that did not run and now runs fine. Thank you Captain.
2- The sights were selected and used in an attempt to make things easier for my old diseased post surgery eyes. Dave discovered this sight system at the Shot Show and I bought it to try in my continious search for a system that works well for me other than my Open class sight system. He had previous experience with Ghost Ring sights. So far they work very well but I would like to get more experience before I even conside getting rid of my C-Mores.

Dave is an elite pistolsmith who "finishes the Job". This is just another example of his fine work. I thank him for all his efforts on this project.

Dean P10
[email protected]
410-952-7848
Old June 25, 2005, 12:40 AM   #20
Jammer Six

Quote:
All my pistols have a T somewhere as my name is Taylor. As far as I am concerned the T is for Taylor like my other pistols.

Dave is an elite pistolsmith who "finishes the Job".
Popcorn. We need popcorn.