The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2016, 03:49 AM   #1
A pause for the COZ

Kind of an interesting fall for collecting Turret presses.

1st off, I in no measurable way need any more reloading presses.
Counting shot gun reloaders I think I am 10 now.

Two latest additions to the stable. The old adage that states.Buy it when ya see it cheap counts.

#1 RCBS Turret press. (new) Fleet farm had a clearance sale. $118 before $10 rebate.
Have been using the heck out of it. Really good press.

#2 Lyman all American turret press. Happened across this one on a local online auction. $12.50. Running a batch of 308 win cast loads for my AR10.
Also a very nice press.

Old November 21, 2016, 04:25 AM   #2
JeepHammer

It's when you own 10 presses and not one damn part interchanges when you should start questioning your sanity.... (Guilty)
Old November 21, 2016, 04:32 AM   #3
A pause for the COZ

Yea I know... its a disease.
Old November 21, 2016, 09:12 AM   #4
g.willikers

Nice finds.
When I got my progressive, I gave away my Lyman turret.
Wish I hadn't sometimes.
Old November 21, 2016, 01:46 PM   #5
tranders

I like how you have your powder dispensers set up.
Old November 21, 2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Sevens

I can't seem to (mentally) get on board with a turret press that doesn't have quick-change and low-cost turrets. Or maybe I can be more clear when I say... it seems to make precious little sense to buy a turret press without quick-change/low cost turrets when such a press does exist.

That Lyman looks like a neat one. And I do understand the fun of piling up tools that you made not actually "need."
Old November 21, 2016, 11:23 PM   #7
A pause for the COZ

I have a LEE Turret press for the ease of swapping turrets. truth is the LEE is the easiest to use and most efficient of them all.
As for now though speed is not a concern for me with my Turret presses.
The RCBS puts out some quality ammo.

If I need to put the hammer down and knock out a bucket full I break out the LNL AP for that. Usually 223, 300 Black out, and 45 acp. Seems I go through buckets full of those.
Old November 21, 2016, 11:36 PM   #8
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
I like how you have your powder dispensers set up.
ME TOO! With all the different presses I have I really needed an adjustable powder measure stand. No one makes one. So I made my own.
Should last a couple life times.

Old November 22, 2016, 11:38 AM   #9
tranders

Fantastic! Two thumbs up.
Old November 22, 2016, 10:59 PM   #10
Wat_Tyler

love it!
Old November 24, 2016, 07:01 AM   #11
Mike / Tx

daggum Coz you sound like me. I do admit you got a better price for your RCBS than I did but I also got a half dozen heads with it. Your right though, it does put out some quality ammo even if it isn't in the hundreds of rounds an hour. I also like your powder measure stand. I have several I have made for this or that, and it's nice to have THE one that fits wheee it needs to.

I use mine for my hunting ammo for my revolvers. Makes them more accurate than I am. If I want production I go out to the 4x4 progressive and go to it. I got it back in the mid 80's and have everything I need to load for everything I shoot. I thought about going with a Dillon but just couldn't justify the additional cost for the new tooling. The old 4x4 has clicked off umteen thousands of rounds and just keeps on ticking.
Old November 24, 2016, 11:16 AM   #12
JeepHammer

I don't own a .30-40 Craig, but I can crank out rounds for one...
(Sanity in question?)
Old November 25, 2016, 10:22 PM   #13
chuckscap

I have a Dillon 650 for pistol and a Lee Turret press for rifle. I love the Lee, I have turrets set up for each caliber. I load 270 Win, 375 Weatherby and 500 Jeffery, the Lee does it all. I had two of the turrets machined for the bigger dies for the 500 Jeffery.

Old November 26, 2016, 04:49 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
I can't seem to (mentally) get on board with a turret press that doesn't have quick-change and low-cost turrets. Or maybe I can be more clear when I say... it seems to make precious little sense to buy a turret press without quick-change/low cost turrets when such a press does exist.
When you don't want to actually swap turrets or constantly quick-change dies, it doesn't matter.
It's just potential on-press storage that can still be used for reloading without moving the die or (potentially) without making adjustments.

My Redding T-7 turret was set up for .327 Federal for 3 years. All I had to do to load any of the '.32 revolver' cartridges was adjust the dies a bit. The remaining die stations were used as-needed for cartridges that weren't loaded as often. Installing and removing the 'as-needed' dies is/was no different than using a single-stage press.

Right now, the T-7 has dies installed for 6x45mm and .475 Tremor, because that's what I've been working with the most. In one of the 'as-needed' holes, there's a .308 Win sizing die, because I've been slowly working through some .307 Win brass for an upcoming project rifle. And there's still one open station, should I need to do something different.

But, I'm not limited to the T-7, either.
There's the Rock Chucker that gets used with and without the 7/8-14 adapter bushing, and with and without a Hornady quick-change adapter (for the few cartridges where I generally only use one load).
And, farther down the bench, there's the Lyman T-Mag turret. It rarely gets used, because Lyman's poorly-engineered, sloppy linkage (on all their presses) irritates the crap out of me. But it does have another 6 die stations if I need the room.
Heck, there's even an old 'restored' Pacific press sitting on the floor. I never even bothered to mount it, because the T-7 and Rock Chucker are superior and no different in setting up dies.

Everything else aside... I have multiple different loads for most cartridges that I load/reload, and I don't always use the same press. Having those dies pre-set in a quick-change bushing or turret head is just a waste of time - and sometimes a pain in the butt - if I'm going to have to make adjustments anyway (or pull the die[s] from the turret and use them in the Rock Chucker).
Old November 26, 2016, 10:40 PM   #15
Overkill777

I just ordered a Lee Classic Cast Turret press kit on a black friday sale. I have been doing all my loading on a Rock Chucker the past couple years. I'm hoping the turret will speed up production for pistol rounds. I don't have the funds for a progressive and I figured the turret would be easier and cheaper to set up for multiple calibers.
Old November 26, 2016, 10:51 PM   #16
Sarge

I was prowling a local pawnshop awhile back and saw an old gray & red Lyman 'Spar T' turret press that looked awfully familiar. Turns out it belonged to one of my (late) favorite uncles and was in there on consignment, by one of his grandsons. I always wondered what happened to his reloading gear. Hell I sat at this press with him 25 years ago while we cranked out 45 ACP for his WWII Colt.

I paid the $50 asking price and for once, didn't haggle. I scrubbed it with engine cleaner, tore it down and lubed/adjusted the turret for free movement and zero vertical play. I did get a little generous with the grease which you see running in a couple of places. No matter, carb cleaner will cure that. I bolted it to my outside work bench, fired it up today and prepped a couple hundred rounds of 45 Colt brass. Ran like a top. Uncle Les would crack a big grin if he could see this.

Old November 26, 2016, 11:48 PM   #17
disseminator

Great story Sarge, The old turret lives to load another day.

Old November 27, 2016, 10:12 AM   #18
g.willikers

Eghads Sarge, that is identical to the one I had.
Am I your late uncle?