The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 28, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
PoorRichRichard

Steel in my old Mossy 500

The gun is actually an old New Haven 600AT(about 25 years old), which is the Monkey Wards/Sears rebrand for the Mossberg 500 (exact same gun). Has a fixed Mod choke, and the gun has been great for dove and quail. Also used it for ducks twice this past season, and I'm wondering if the steel shot is going to screw up my barrel. Not sure if it make a difference, but I almost always use 3" shells when hunting ducks with steel shot.
Old March 29, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
PoorRichRichard

Bump. Any imput? Anybody?
Old March 31, 2012, 09:14 AM   #3
okiewita40

If it is that old and will accept Mossy 500 barrels. I would just buy an up to date barrel on it and run the choke tubes. May even get a better pattern out of it that way. Just my opinion though.
Old March 31, 2012, 12:59 PM   #4
big al hunter

+1 for the new barrel. It might be safe to use steel in the old one. That is around the time manufacturers were making all barrels tough enough for steel shot. If you get the serial number to mossberg they can tell you if it is safe. Try mossbergs website. I would go with the new barrel just for the ability to change chokes. If the barrel was not made for steel it will eventually wear out the barrel. If your gun is chambered for 3 inch shells no worries. If it is a 2 3/4 chamber Very bad for both you and the gun. A 3 inch shell will fit, but that does not mean it is safe. The crimp on a 3 inch shell will roll into the barrel and cause very high pressure.
Old March 31, 2012, 07:53 PM   #5
PoorRichRichard

Thanx guys. Gonna call Mossberg and get more info. Gun is meant for 3" shells, so I think I'm ok. Been thinking about getting a new barrel w/ interchangeble chokes, but for the money, I might just get a newer gun for ducks. Thinking about a Nova.
Old April 1, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
big al hunter

Nova is a good choice look for the flex tech stock. Reduces recoil by about 40%. My buddy has one on a nova and I got one on a tc encore last year, love it. Best factory reducer I have seen.