The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2009, 08:00 PM   #1
ragwd

priming tools and shell holder

Thanks for looking and having patience with another noob question. I use a RCBS AUTO PRIMING TOOL. The hole in center of the shell holder seems to be too large. The large pistol primer seems to have too much slop in the shell holder and sometimes doesnt sit in center which causes all kinds of trouble in trying to prime. Am I using the wrong shell holder, do they make special shell holders to fit the auto primer with smaller holes?? Thanks again.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2
ragwd

Well I got plenty of looks and no post, thanks for reading. Maybe I didn't explain it well or maybe I didn't give enough info. So I will try to give more info. Like I said in original post I am using a RCBS auto primer

Anyone else using one of these? Well anyway it takes a shell holder just like the press does. I am loading for .45 acp. so I use the appropriate shell holder. I am using my once fired S&B and Winchester casings.

The hole in the center of that shell holder is larger than the primer and when the primer is relased from a tube to the center it doesnt always sit in the same place. If it doesnt sit just right the primer gets kinda smashed. If i move the primer with my finger to one side it works fine, if it stays to the other side it has a problem. Having to move the primer with my finger just slows things down and this was supposed to be easier. So I figure its either my inexperience or poor design.

It didn't seem to have a problem with Remington primers, but I had short supply, and this problem is mostly with Winchester primers. Maybe its just my technic So any help?
Old March 23, 2009, 10:22 AM   #3
kraigwy

Except for my progressive (Dillon RL 1000), The only primer feeder I use is the RCBS Auto Priming tool you're talking about. It works great and is the most consistant primer feeder I've ever used.

It completely seats the primer, consistantly, you can feel if everything is correct.

I've used it on just about all my match ammo & most of my hunting rounds (the cases I dont run through my progressive press.)
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 23, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Alleykat

I use an RCBS hand priming tool occasionally. It also uses standard shell holders, and I've never had a problem with primers' not centering.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
ragwd

Thanks for the posts, Well its not poor design then it must be Winchester primers or my technique. I am guessing it my lack of experience and considering I have only loaded a few hundred rounds. I do clean the primer pockets. Thanks again
Old March 23, 2009, 02:52 PM   #6
jeh7mmmag

I would suggest you give RCBS a call about this. I use the RCBS handprimer and found out that only certain shell holder will work with handprimer.
Some of my primer were not fully seated because of shell holder.

They can advise you on the tool you have.
Old March 23, 2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Russ5924

delete
Old March 23, 2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Gneiss

Check your primer rod assembly

From your description, it sounds like your primer rod assembly may be put together wrong. See if the spring loaded sleeve is on upside down - when correctly assembled it should form a cup that the primer sits in to keep it centered. See photos.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Correct.jpg (117.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Incorrect.jpg (75.5 KB, 77 views)
Old March 24, 2009, 12:19 AM   #9
ragwd

Gneiss, As I remember i do have them right but will check. thanks for the photos. Also thanks Jeh7 I really should call them to see what they say.
Old March 24, 2009, 02:03 AM   #10
rg1

I've got 4 shellholders for .45ACP that also are used for 30-06 sized case heads-rims. One shellholder has a .262" hole, another has a .265" hole thru the shellholder. I also have 2 Lyman shellholders (#2) and they both have a
.253" hole in the shellholder. The cup on my large primer punch for the RCBS Automatic Primer Tool measures approx. .249". The cup does have side to side movement in the larger holes of the RCBS #3 shellholders but does fit the Lyman with the smaller holes without any lateral movement. I've not noticed any problems with any of my shellholders though with my Automatic Primer tool like yours. I wouldn't prime cases with any other equipment and love my priming tool. RCBS #3 is correct for .45ACP. Lyman's is #2, Hornady is #1, and Redding's shellholder # for .45ACP is #1 also. My Lyman #2's do fit the size of my cup on the punch better. I hadn't even noticed the difference until checking them to reply to your post.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:17 AM   #11
ragwd

RG1, thanks for your post, I do have the RCBS #3 and in reading everyones post maybe its not the size of the hole but either my inexperience or my primers rod. I am new to reloading so it could very well be my primer rod assembly and my techinque. I have nothing against the winchester primers, I don't know enough to have preferences yet but the remington primers only gave me one bad seating out of 300 as compared to winchester which was one in 20 or so. I know there are going to be others who say I have reloaded winchesters for years and never had problems, so I am not blaming the primers but right now it looks as though its my primer rod and my inexperience. thanks for everyones posts, very nice crowd hangs out in here.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:26 AM   #12
MADISON

RCBS 09460 priming tool

I have been ther and dun that....
If you use an RCBS shell holder that hole should be small enough that you don't seat an off center primer.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:05 PM   #13
ragwd

Gneiss, thanks, those pics said a thousand words and corrected my problem. yes I had my set up the wrong way and now mine looks like the correct picture. thanks again.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:36 PM   #14
Gneiss

Excellent, glad that I could help out.

The instructions that come with it aren't the best, but it is a nice tool and should give you a lot of good use.
Old April 7, 2009, 06:20 PM   #15
James R. Burke

Maybe just the wrong priming rod?