The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 2001, 09:41 AM   #1
Gator

Bison hunts

My lovely future wife has told me I can't place a trophy above our ficeplace...that is unless it's a bison. My understanding is there are limited options for this kind of event.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as far as planning such an event.

Gator
Old July 9, 2001, 10:26 AM   #2
Dave R

About 5 yrs ago I ran into an old buddy on an airplane. He was coming back from a Bison hunt in Montana. So I know it can be done...
Old July 9, 2001, 12:01 PM   #3
Paul B.

Gator. Send me your E-mail address and I'll send you a link on Bison hunts. They are in Montana on Ted Turner's ranch, of all places. No permit draws or any of that stuff. I'd post it on the forum, but I don't know how.
Paul B.
Old July 9, 2001, 01:09 PM   #4
Keith Rogan

I wouldn't put a dime in Ted Turners pocket if I could help it! There is ranch here in Kodiak with a large herd of open-range bison. Ted Nugent comes up here regularly to hunt them and of since he can afford to hunt wherever he wants, that's a pretty good recommendation.
You can hunt on horseback or on foot as you choose and it's in wild country packed with bears and other wildlife. It's not a "canned" hunt.

I don't think they have a web site, but Bill Burton (the owner of the ranch) can be reached at: (907) 486-3705 for more information.

Keith
Old July 9, 2001, 03:46 PM   #5
VonFatman

Not a flame...heck I think a Bison over the fireplace is a great idea....but what kind of hunt can it be? I mean...they just stand there. In KS they have bison "hunts" to thin the heard...well let's just say it's not real challenging. I'd love a mount but I think I'd buy it mounted and use the "hunt" money for more challenging game. Just my .o2
Oh, and I second the Ted Turner boycott idea...what a jerk.
Old July 10, 2001, 06:54 AM   #6
Gator

Yes, I have to agree with the Ted Turner comments. Some of us still won't forgive his wife Hanoi Jane for her lovely work. (Although, she did look kinda good in Barbarella the movie)

I must admit this plan is still in the research phase. I'd love to have a mounted bison on wall. But I figure I better know some more about this before I shell out what looks like about $4,000 for a guided hunt.

Gator
Old July 10, 2001, 04:25 PM   #7
rock_jock

Isn't that kinda like going on a bovine hunt?
Old July 11, 2001, 07:01 AM   #8
Kingcreek

It's like hunting a bulldozer.
Shooting it is easy- getting it into the truck is a real challenge.
OTOH, Bison meat is some of the best eating if you've got LOTS of freezer space. Keep in mind that some of those pricy hunts are just hunts. Meat, hides, skulls, are usually priced seperately- read the fine print.
Old July 11, 2001, 07:33 AM   #9
Jeremae

too Tame??

Well if it doesn't excite you enough to hunt an animal the size and weight of a small car that will just stand and look at you due to lack of fear....

You could use traditional plains indian technique and hunt them from horseback with just a lance or bow and arrow....

if I don't fight...What about my kids???
Old July 11, 2001, 09:20 AM   #10
Gator

Guys, you're starting to make this sound a lot easier than it should be. Or are they really just going to stand there like a parked bulldozer and look at me with large eyes wondering what the heck I am?

I would imagin that a bison would be quite the challenge. Shot placement would be very important. It would be a serious issue to contend with if you pissed one of these guys off!

I was thinking it would be best to try to make this hunt something educational by using "period weaponry." I was thinking of purchasing a black powder rifle for the event.

Gator
Old July 11, 2001, 01:49 PM   #11
Keith Rogan

>>>>>Guys, you're starting to make this sound a lot easier than it should be. Or are they really just going to stand there like a parked bulldozer and look at me with large eyes wondering what the heck I am?<<<<<

The bison here on Kodiak are free-range wild bison that are preyed on by bears regularly and are wary in consequence. In fact, the bears are the reason that this rancher is switching over to bison - his herd of cattle have been decimated over the years. This isn't a canned hunt with a herd of animals tucked into a 1000 acre ranch someplace.

Still, potting a buffalo in open country with a modern rifle is probably not that challenging. Consider doing it with a traditional .45/70 at 100 yards or so and I think you'll get all the challenge you can handle! A handgun hunt?
Old July 11, 2001, 02:17 PM   #12
Gator

Keith,

I like the idea of the handgun hunt...but alas all I have is a 3 inch. .44 mag. While most of my friends already consider me a bit on the crazy side...i'm not sure I want to test my aim on a bison at 50 yards with this thing.

100 yards and a 45/70 sounds just about right.

Gator
Old July 11, 2001, 08:40 PM   #13
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Friends that have done the Bison hunt report that it is more of a shopping trip than anything. Drive up, pick'em out, drop'em.

One fellow told me that the preferred method (per the ranch guys) was to head shoot'em. They soak up lung hits with ease. This guy hit his low in the head - no results. Thumped the bison several times with a .45-70 in the chest and had to wait a while.

Not my cup of tea.

Giz
Old July 12, 2001, 04:19 PM   #14
DesertSheep

Try this web site: www.thbison.com

This at least sounds like more than a pasture shoot.

I shot 2 buffalo as part of a cull operation for a gun club. Each one dropped from a well placed 225 grain bullet from my 300 win mag at about 25 yards.

Since we were culling the young bulls, they were the same size as the cows, so the hardest part was identifing which ones were the bulls. Plus getting them to stand still without another one behind them was a challenge.