The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 12, 2023, 10:36 AM   #51
zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
The gas checks to make those can be bought at Sage's, which I posted above. They also have shot. That is how I make most of my snake shot loads now. I've been using mostly #9, but I did try some #12 with #6 and it upped the payload a good bit. Just not sure it's necessary to use anything but 9 for actual snake shot.
thanks
Old March 13, 2023, 10:56 PM   #52
Drm50

1000 fps with 44 shot capsule out of 45, I can see why it wouldn’t spin. What I can’t see is how it’s going to run 1000fps without touching riflings. A one BB kill with #6 or #4 shot is a one in a million happening.
Old March 14, 2023, 07:47 AM   #53
STORM2

North Central Texas, private range. I’m on property several times a week. Those of us who do maintenance in the trees and weeds wear/carry a pistol with snake shot. Personally I switch my gun out to avoid changing ammo. When I unlock the gate I swap to a Colt Commander loaded with shot. I know it will empty the magazine because I tested it. (my Wilson will also). The important thing to understand is your POI will be much lower at point blank range. To understand how much use a LARGE piece of cardboard. Draw a snake on it.
Stand away safely about 6 feet (or so) and shoot your drawn snake. Now you understand why this exercise might be valuable. Anything beyond that distance your threat is lower as is your hit/ kill odds. Don’t forget your ammo is also expensive and hard to find.
Old March 14, 2023, 11:40 AM   #54
MarkCO

Quote:
Don’t forget your ammo is also expensive and hard to find.
Costs me under $10/50, and in .357 and .41 Mag, I have enough components to load about 1000 on hand.