The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 15, 2023, 12:24 PM   #1
AL45

You're a mean one, Mr. Flinch

I would say my flinch started when I started reloading about 15 years ago. I decided to try some Ruger Only .45 colt loads in my Blackhawk and soon after developed a flinch. If I really focus, am shooting on a fairly regular basis and am shooting a gun with a light trigger, I can overcome it. A year ago, I went through a mid-life crisis and bought a Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull. Using my reloads of 335 cast lead at 1400 FPS, I have fired the gun around 30 times. It's a stiff recoil but not at all painful or scary. But using the method of "one round in the cylinder and not knowing when it will fire", the flinch is pretty noticable. I finally got to where I was hitting a couple inches low and left at about 15 yards, but certainly not acceptable. I've tried dry firing, but since I know it isn't going to fire, I don't move. I use a shooting glove and good ear protection, so no fear of pain or hearing loss. Mine is all mental. I told my wife maybe she could stand behind me and every time I flinch she could whack me upside the head with a stick. I think she liked the idea. Outside of getting a knot on my head, any other ideas?
Old April 15, 2023, 12:59 PM   #2
Electrod47

Imagine to yourself "I'm Not going to flinch." ......Then Don't
Old April 15, 2023, 01:20 PM   #3
tangolima

Focusing on front sight helps.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 15, 2023, 03:03 PM   #4
Skippy

I was told years ago during a private training lesson, "everyone flinches, just some more than others."

Whether true for *everyone* or not, it set my mind at ease that I wasn't the *only* one.

I minimize my flinching by dry firing a lot. In my revolver I like to load two or three rounds and leave a few chambers empty.

Old April 15, 2023, 04:09 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Flinch is the brain's way of protecting itself and its assets. It knows that a loud noise, flash and abrupt movement right in front of the face is dangerous and it takes reasonable steps to deal with it.

It will cause an involuntary blink to protect the eyes from the blast--this makes it hard for people to believe they're flinching because they don't see it.

It will cause the hands to move involuntarily at the moment of the threat to try to control the movement and keep the danger away from the face/head.

Put your brain to work concentrating on something else so it "forgets" to flinch.

Some people find that shooting to a spoken cadence can help.

Start with the gun at low ready and say "One".
Bring the gun up to the target and say "Two".
Fire the gun and simultaneously say "Three".

Keep the spacing between the spoken numbers even and don't let the spacing stretch out.

Another thing that can help is shooting at a blank piece of target paper that is far enough away that the bullet holes aren't easily visible. It helps the shooter focus on shooting technique and not get bogged down in trying to keep the sight alignment on the target absolutely perfect.

Don't get wrapped up in trying for an absolute perfect sight picture. Accept the wobble, it's always there anyway. If you try for a perfect sight picture, your brain can sabotage you by telling your finger to yank the trigger when it thinks things are perfect. Concentrate on keeping your trigger pull consistent instead of on trying for an absolutely perfect shot.

Concentrate on watching the front sight as it recoils and on trying to see the muzzle flash when the shot breaks. This gives the brain something to do other than to try to flinch away from the loud noise and movement in an effort to protect itself. Watching for the muzzle flash can be really helpful for some. This takes the brain's focus away from the flinch and gives it something to do that it won't be able to do if it flinches.

Try some double action shooting, if you have any guns with double-action triggers. Be sure to keep the trigger press one smooth action, don't try to stage the trigger--make it all one consistent, controlled, movement.

Better hearing protection can help. Some folks process the report of firing as felt recoil and that can make flinch worse.

Dryfire, even though you know you won't get recoil and report can still be useful because it helps get your brain used to going through the motions of aiming and firing. You're basically trying to offset the recoil and report of firing with a lot of the exact same actions but that don't include the recoil and report.

Dryfiring at the range can be valuable. If I find I'm starting to flinch, I will stop and dryfire a few times. It can help get me "out of the mode" of flinching and back to good technique.
Old April 15, 2023, 04:32 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Solid advice from John.

I find bringing a double action pistol or revolver to the range can help me focus on my sight alignment and trigger control. I often will start a session with some double action shooting. When I do, I find the rest of my shooting for that session is improved compared to not brining that pistol or revolver.

I’d also +1 the good hearing protection. I shoot a fair amount, and even for me I’m surprised at times how much turning down the volume on my electronic hearing pro can impact my shooting. Another option is doubling up with say plugs and muffs.

Besides dry fire by itself at home and at the range, with the latter as John mentioned being great for “centering” yourself, with new shooters I will mix in snap caps with live ammunition in the same magazine. It often helps “catch” a flinch. If you see a flinch a bunch in response, then stop and do a series of dry fires. You can also use it to practice your malfunction clearances.
Old April 15, 2023, 06:33 PM   #7
HiBC

Good advice! I'll re-enforce what works for me. I start "hearing footsteps" after shooting the 454 Casull. I just catch myself beginning to cringe. No shame in that.

Stop. Don't allow yourself to train into a bad habit. Don't pull the trigger on a bad shot. Better you only fire three good shots than three good shots and 9 flinches.

A good mental exercise is taking a cold shower. I hate it! But I know I'm not going to bleed or bruise or sustain any injury. A lot like muzzle blast and recoil,my body whines and resists. My mind has to take control. The mind has to take control.

It might help to shoot a couple of wheels of 800 fps target loads. Its not failure if you stop on a good note. You CAN save the 454 till next time. Or just shoot one semi perfect shot.

What Johnska said about "chasing perfect" has merit. Humans move. Know from dry firing what YOUR pretty darn steady is.

OK,you begin a trigger squeeze and you feel a cringe and squint coming on.

Stop. Don't force the shot Don't train into bad habits.Lower the gun. Breath. Regroup. We ONLY shoot good ones.

Focus on calling the shot. Put a target on the bench and mark your call. "An eight at 4 oclock" In order to do that you must follow through with seeing your sight picture . OK,maybe your sight picture won't be perfect. Thats not the problem. Your eyes have to take the picture of the sights at muzzle flash or recoil ..... What were the sights pointing at when the gun jumped?

If you can successfully FOCUS on that, your eyes will be open when the gun fires.

And beware compensating recoil before the gun shoots. Focus.

Five good ones is Great!! Flinging fifty someplace generally downrange wastes powder and primers and lead. Only shoot good ones. Call your shots.
Old April 15, 2023, 07:41 PM   #8
AL45

Some great ideas to try. Thanks for your input.
Old April 16, 2023, 02:15 PM   #9
ghbucky

Quote:
Flinch is the brain's way of protecting itself and its assets. It knows that a loud noise, flash and abrupt movement right in front of the face is dangerous and it takes reasonable steps to deal with it.
When I learned this, it helped me to deal with it, because I realized it isn't a weakness, it is a protective reaction.

I started shooting the 'Dot Torture' exercises and focusing on the exercises helped out.

If I lay off shooting for a while, and start back up again, the flinch comes back and I have to work it out again.
Old April 16, 2023, 03:46 PM   #10
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky View Post
When I learned this, it helped me to deal with it, because I realized it isn't a weakness, it is a protective reaction.

I started shooting the 'Dot Torture' exercises and focusing on the exercises helped out.

If I lay off shooting for a while, and start back up again, the flinch comes back and I have to work it out again.
Our first shot after a hiatus is often the best one of the day.

Last edited by Skippy; April 16, 2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old April 17, 2023, 12:30 PM   #11
ballardw

I end every session where I've been shooting any of the flinch inducing rounds by firing a .22 for a while.
That first round or two of .22 can be pretty revealing...

This goes for rifles as well.
Old April 17, 2023, 09:15 PM   #12
ghbucky

Quote:
Our first shot after a hiatus is often the best one of the day.
On the nose.

I watched my shots trail down toward 7 o'clock today. After about 80 or so rounds I was better. Still got plenty of work to do.
Old April 18, 2023, 02:30 PM   #13
TailGator

Dry fire helps me more than anything with flinching.

Re your wife whacking you in the head every time you flinch: If you wind up with more head lumps than empty cases, you'll need to have a chat with her.
Old April 18, 2023, 04:35 PM   #14
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Focusing on front sight helps.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
And continuing focusing on follow-through of sight picture/alignment throughout the entire trigger press. Wait until the recoil makes you lose it, versus allowing an anticipatory flinch (jerk) to fight recoil before it happens.
Old April 21, 2023, 05:58 PM   #15
AL45

Went shooting today. Started with a .22, .357, .45 colt and then the .454 casull. I focused on the front sight but what really seemed to help was thinking of slow songs in my head as I squeezed the trigger. A friend of mine is an excellent skeet shooter and he once told me that's what he does when he is shooting skeet. Sounds strange but it helped a lot. Might try singing out loud next time since I'm by myself. Not sure the coyotes and rattlesnakes would appreciate it though.