The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 31, 2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Latex Ducky

Hello everybody! Is assembly easy?

Hi I've been lurking a bit here and decided to get an account. I probably won't post much.

I've been jonesing for an AR-15 lately and I told myself that if I got all As this semester (I'm in college), I'd get one with a limit of $1000. I don't want to spend that much and I will probably try to assemble one myself since that can save a lot of money. So is that easy to do? I can follow instructions and I'm careful.

I really want it to be as cheap as possible. I've never assembled a gun before and I really only have experience with .22LR (rifle/pistol) and the occasional usage of other peoples rifles. I have shot most all calibers but .22LR is the cheapest to do regularly.

Also, will prices drop more in a few months since we are further from the election period?

I also want a surplus mosin nagant. Those things are cheap!

Last edited by Latex Ducky; August 31, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old August 31, 2009, 01:17 AM   #2
mrnkc130

personally i think they are pretty easy. I usually buy a stripped lower, then a parts kit, then a butt stock, then just get a complete upper. they also have some complete rifle kits less lower reciever that you can get into fo $800 or so. here is a link to rock river, i think they are great quality and hard to beat the price, i have had 3 rock rivers no complaints

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=199
Old August 31, 2009, 01:55 AM   #3
ChicagoTex

assembling an upper from parts is somewhat tricky (mostly the barrel installation) and requires a couple specialized tools. Thankfully most AR uppers are sold complete (and I looked into it, it's no cheaper to do it yourself).

Assembling a lower from a parts kit is pretty easy, if you go on ar15.com they have assembly instructions there that can be very helpful. No specialized tools are required for lower assembly.

For these reasons, generally the cheapest way to build an AR is to buy a stripped lower, parts kit, buttstock, and complete upper. Should take you no more than an hour to put it all together and tada! off to the range.
Although if you're lazy you can usually get a lower with the parts kit and buttstock already installed for only $20-$30 more.
Old August 31, 2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Sevens

Though I've certainly shot my share of them, I've never owned one, so I don't have the answers you seek. I can tell you that there seems to be a glut of them for sale right now as production FINALLY caught up to demand. I'm seeing used prices under $800 for some decent rifles with accessories. I can't imagine new complete rifles are all too far off. So I'd do some looking before deciding for sure that you must build one from parts.

As for a Mosin Nagant, they are cheap for a little history, but that doesn't really make them a "must" purchase. Ammo is a PITA unless you want to deal with corrosive, and there's obviously a limit to what you can practically do with them. I'd recommend a trip to www.surplusrifle.com and that might better help you decide if buying a Mosin is for you.
Old August 31, 2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Omaha-BeenGlockin

You'll need tools for the upper---its not exactly cheaper building your own---the beauty of it is you can get parts when you can afford them instead of plunking down $1000+ for a whole rifle----also you learn the in's and out's of your rifle.

And yes---I build my own uppers too.
-------Metallica
Old September 2, 2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Ridge_Runner_5

My suggestion is buy a complete upper assembly, and a stripped lower. The lower can be put together with a screwdriver and a pair of vice grips. Uppers need more specialty tools and unless you plan on building a lot of ARs, the tools will not be cost effective.

Tags
ar-15 , assembly