The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 26, 2007, 01:05 AM   #1
FS2K

Question about Safety Orange Camoflage.

Please help me understand something. I don't remember where I heard this, or read it, or who told it to me but I heard that since animals like deer are colorblind it doesn't matter that the vests are orange.

Is that true?

I was wondering, just because these animals can't see color couldn't they recognise brightness? Especially the Neom Orange on those vests. And why camo pattern?
Old January 26, 2007, 07:10 AM   #2
TCman

The camo pattern will break you up instead of just a big orande blob.
Old January 26, 2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Keep in mind that camo pattern blaze orange is not legal in all states. Research accordingly prior to donning camo blaze orange. My state requires solid orange so I am a giant orange blob.
Old January 27, 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
DReicht

From what I've read deer don't see orange like we do. To them is a much duller color that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
Old January 27, 2007, 05:55 PM   #5
buck460XVR

here in Wisconsin blaze camo is legal a long as it's 50% orange. From my experience deer have a harder time seeing blaze orange against snow or the skyline than most other colors.......so if you're hunting in snow or in a treestand after the leaves have fallen, it's almost an advantage. Either way hunter safety is still the #1 priority.........
Old January 27, 2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Clayfish

The eye has two types of cells that are responsible for vision; cones and rods. Cones recognize color while rods are light receptors. Deer have more rods than cones than we do which results in better night vision but poor color recognition. They see orange as a dull brown. The color they see best is blue because of the UV reflection. So stay away from bright blues in the woods and you are okay. The most important thing in camoflauge is breaking up your silohete. I usually only wear camo during bow season when they get close or when it's cold because my cold weather gear is all camo.
Old January 27, 2007, 07:23 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
Keep in mind that camo pattern blaze orange is not legal in all states. Research accordingly prior to donning camo blaze orange. My state requires solid orange so I am a giant orange blob.
Yep not leagal in my State as well.
Old January 28, 2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Desertfox

Deer don't know orange from olive drab but cows, coyotes, squirrels and turkey know. Just my experience. Don't ask me how I know.

The big orange blob is broken up a little to deer when you wear a big vest and wrinkle it up in big folds so it has shadows. Still orange to everyone else but broken up a bit to them. I do sit still while hunting so this is achieved easier than if I was on the move.