The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 17, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
boxjeff

Alaska - Tell a cop that you have a gun?

I was told by an Alaskan Trooper that if you are pulled over or approached in the wilderness for any reason, and have a gun you are required to tell the trooper that you have a firearm in the car or on your person. Is this correct?

I know there are a couple of guys from Alaska on this forum and was wondering if they have anything to ad to this?

Last edited by boxjeff; December 17, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old December 17, 2010, 05:16 PM   #2
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I'm pretty sure that is correct. I believe that kraigwy was an Anchorage cop for many years and would have an iron-clad answer.
Old December 17, 2010, 05:19 PM   #3
egor20

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alaska.pdf
Page 3 toward the bottom

A person 21 or older may be charged with Misconduct involving Weapons in the 5th degree under AS11.61.220 if s/he
· fails to immediately inform a peace officer that s/he is carrying a concealed handgun

· fails to allow the officer to secure the weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of thepeace officer.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 17, 2010, 05:28 PM   #4
boxjeff

Thanks!
Old December 17, 2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Not only the law but common courtesy requires it

WildsupportyourlocalpopoAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 17, 2010, 07:16 PM   #6
boxjeff

Courtesy...in Alaska it's great idea.

In my tyrannical state, NJ, it's a really bad idea!
Old December 17, 2010, 07:26 PM   #7
JayCee

I realize this is the law in many jurisdictions, but, quite frankly, I've never understood the logic behind the law. Officer safety? Since I don't pose a threat to a police officer, why do I need to inform him/her that I have a gun? So I can be hassled by the officer if he/she isn't knowledgeable in the law or doesn't like the fact that citizens have the right to be armed? Those who do pose a threat to a police officer aren't going to disclose that they're carrying. Seems to me this is just another "feel good" law that has no practical value and carries with it the potential for abuse.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old December 17, 2010, 07:31 PM   #8
boxjeff

After I wrote the last post I was pondering the same points!
Old December 17, 2010, 07:33 PM   #9
ccSnoopycc

In my opinion and what I have seen is that in my state if you tell a police officer you are carrying or have a gun in the vehicle you get ridiculed and treated similar to an ex felon. I know this varies state by state and I know police officer safety is a huge issue but carrying shouldn’t make you automatically a bad dangerous person.
Old December 17, 2010, 07:38 PM   #10
Samuel2011

Yup Like Wildalaska said its just common curtesy to tell the man in blue that your packing!
Old December 17, 2010, 07:39 PM   #11
roklok

It is legally required to notify a peace officer upon contact if a deadly weapon is concealed upon the person in the state of Alaska.

AS 11.61.220a1A states: A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon other than a ordianary pocket knife that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer.

Violation of AS 11.61.220a1A is a class B Misdemeanor, puishable by up to 3 months in jail.

It is not required by law to notify a peace officer of firearms in the vehicle, only if concealed on the person. It is courteous though to notify them of any firearms in the vehicle.
Old December 17, 2010, 07:45 PM   #12
JayCee

Excuse me, but I don't understand why it's "courteous" to inform a police officer that I'm legally carrying a firearm. "Courtesy" in my book means being respectful and polite to the officer; it has nothing to do with informing the officer that one is carrying.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old December 17, 2010, 07:47 PM   #13
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Unless the law explicitly states that you must inform the officer, it is generally not advisable to do so. If they pull you out of the car, then you gotta tell them ASAP because they are likely to frisk you. And if they do and you are carrying and did not tell them, things will go badly for you.

Quote:
Since I don't pose a threat to a police officer, why do I need to inform him/her that I have a gun?
Good question. On a related topic, why can't a CCW carry a weapon in a school zone? Or a post office? Or a court house? After all, there are plenty of school shootings and a legal CCW might be able to slow a school shooter down, right? Nope. No guns. You can have a million background checks, psych tests, etc. But you are not allowed to carry on school grounds.

None of these laws make any logical sense. People are afraid of guns. Period. And they let fear rule their lives and our lives. And despite the fact they are cops, most cops, especially on the east coast, are TERRIFIED of guns.
Old December 17, 2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Crazy88Fingers

It's courtesy because if he catches a glimpse of your gun, and you haven't informed him of it, things may go bad quick. Telling him you're carrying and have the proper permit makes things easier, just in case.
Old December 17, 2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Pahoo

Quote:
Not only the law but common courtesy requires it
The logic here is that most folks who carry guns or want to transport guns, are mostly confused if not ignorant of each state's laws. Why not take the guess work out of it and just provide this information.

In our state, you are only required to provide such information at the direct request/demand of the LEO and that is how the law reads. On some other documentation that is not part of the law, it states that as a coutesy, it is good information to volunteer.

If and when I do carry, I will do so, again, as a courtesy. .....

Fellas, just do your best, in your own best ways ......

Be Safe !!!
Old December 17, 2010, 08:09 PM   #16
2cooltoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccSnoopycc
In my opinion and what I have seen is that in my state if you tell a police officer you are carrying or have a gun in the vehicle you get ridiculed and treated similar to an ex felon.
I realize the question was posed about the great state of Alaska, but it is also the law in Texas. I have been stopped twice while armed and immediately informed the officer that I was licensed and armed. In neither case did the officer treat me any differently than in any other stop. They didn't ask me to get out, keep my hands in view, remove the weapon, etc.

They also gave me a warning, instead of a ticket, and told me to "have a nice day."

Maybe it's that "licensed" thing.
Old December 17, 2010, 08:09 PM   #17
JayCee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88Fingers
It's courtesy because if he catches a glimpse of your gun, and you haven't informed him of it, things may go bad quick.
Therein lies the problem...you are legally carrying, but if the officer somehow ascertains that you have a gun and didn't tell him about it, you're in trouble. But if you had told the officer, everything's cool (hopefully). What great benefit does society gain from a law like this, which criminalizes otherwise lawful behavior? The same thing is true of laws that criminalize carrying in a school zone, a post office or other "prohibited" area. It ain't the criminals that get caught by those "gotcha" laws, it's ordinary citizens who either forgot or didn't know about the law. And that serves no societal purpose...

Old December 17, 2010, 08:27 PM   #18
Wildalaska

Quote:
What great benefit does society gain from a law like this, which criminalizes otherwise lawful behavior?
Officer safety.

WildnevercouldunderstandtheproblemwithlawslikethiscopsareonoursideAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old December 17, 2010, 08:30 PM   #19
egor20

roklok

Thank you Sir, I think that was what boxjeff was looking for rather than my answer.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 17, 2010, 08:39 PM   #20
The Terminator

I have actually had enough interactions while carrying, that I have lost count. My state, Ga, does not require disclosure, but, I do it anyway. My guns are always checked, and then given back. Nice, if you have a stolen gun out there and want it back someday. I have been checked by County, GSP, and city cops. Never a problem. Usually makes for a nice chat, and though I doubt that it is a factor, I don't always get ticketed.

The last State Trooper wanted my insurance, told him it was under my pistol. He said is the pistol holstered? Yes, He said to just move it out of the way. It was never mentioned again. I guess that it depends on a lot, like one's attitude. Be combative, and ornery, and offended, and you might get a different reaction.

The horror stories abound, and some are true.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 17, 2010, 09:11 PM   #21
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I would argue the fact that cops are "on our side". I'm not saying they are on "the other side", but every cop is a different guy. Some are angry, some are nuts and some are actually great publics servants. Generalizations are pointless, every cop is an individual. When I interact with a cop I don't know, I assume the worst and hope for the best (the worst cop being equivalent to a mad dog). By the by, my brother is a cop and so was my father...
Old December 17, 2010, 09:14 PM   #22
psyfly

Well, I remin confused by the illogic of it.

I'll start by saying I don't have a problem telling any Texas Peace Officer that I'm carrying (and, it is, BTW, required by Tx law).

That being said, that same officer's safety is not affected pro or con by one iota by whether or not he knows.

Texas has a somewhat odd take on the whole thing, anyway.

You are required by law to notify, but there is no penalty for not doing so.

I still would, but don't see that my notification affects the officer's safety in any way.

Best,

Will
Old December 17, 2010, 09:16 PM   #23
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Officer safety.
Correct. THe officer is more safe by a law abiding citizen informing him/her of being armed, since a criminal would not volunteer that information.

Is it a courtesy? Depends on how you look at it.
Old December 17, 2010, 09:20 PM   #24
Yankee Doodle

In all my years on the "Job", To the best of my memory,I was informed less than 10 times that the person I had stopped for a traffic violation had a gun in the car. (Not required in N.Y.) All of them were told to keep their hands in sight, and step out of the vehicle. When they displayed their valid carry permit, they were told that I appreciated their honesty, and to have a nice day. No traffic tickets were issued. In my opinion, honesty pays.
Of the few times when drivers had not said anything, and either my partner or I saw the gun, tensions immediately escalated. Having your partner yell "GUN", really gets the heart rate up. So, even though it may not be required, like Wildalaska said, it's the courteous thing to do. May even pay dividends.
For whatever it's worth, if you keep your gun in the glove box with your registration, you had better say something before you open the glovebox. Much better safe than sorry.
Old December 18, 2010, 03:29 AM   #25
the357plan

I never say anything. I just present my CHL with my driver's license and let it speak for itself. I figure they'll know anyway when they run my driver's license. They always ask “Where is it”? I always inform them of its location and they always respond “Just leave it there”. I'm polite, they're polite and I've never had problems and received only warnings... except for just the other week. I was pulled over by a young LEO (looked like he was just out of the academy). He apologized for giving me a ticket, but said he had too. The Federal government had given the city grant money under the conditions that all traffic violations are ticketed for the holiday season. Saw something about this in the news, so I knew he was telling the truth and just doing what he was told. Now, I have to take driver training :barf:.