The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2014, 02:15 PM   #1
bikerbill

Beretta 92FS

Was at Cabela's last week buying some ammo and fell a little bit in love with a Beretta 92FS ... They were priced at about $650 ... Was thinking of it, with night sights, as a replacement for my 1911 nightstand gun, a Springer Loaded, given the higher capacity and, well, just because it looked cool ...

Wondering, all you Beretta owners, if the price is right (didn't look to see if the ones on display had night sights or not, hadda run to an appoinment). Also wondering if the DA/SA is more of a pain than it's worth; I've never shot a semi except for the SA or DA only models I own.

I already own a Springer XDm in 9mm, minus night sights. Would the Beretta be redundant?

Thanks ...
Old February 23, 2014, 02:38 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Beretta is a good gun and the DA pull is not bad at all (it is a true DA, not a partially cocked system like the Glock), and the price seems OK. Whether you "need" it or not is your decision.

Jim
Old February 23, 2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Pahoo

Search; gunwatcher

Go in here and in the search field, type or copy/paste;

Beretta 92FS

http://www.gunwatcher.com/

Be Safe !!
Old February 23, 2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Seven High

Is it possible for an owner of a 92FS to install night sights himself, or does the slide have to be sent in for this? What companys install night sights on Berettas?
Old February 23, 2014, 02:57 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

When buying from a web site, don't forget the shipping costs and your dealer's handling fee. Also, if there is anything wrong with the gun, you might have a problem returning it or getting the problem fixed.

Unless it is something, like an odd-ball antique that I can't buy from a LGS, I won't buy on-line or anywhere I can't see what I am paying for.

Jim
Old February 23, 2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Pahoo

Just looking, for now !!

Quote:
When buying from a web site, don't forget the shipping costs and your dealer's handling fee. Also, if there is anything wrong with the gun, you might have a problem returning it or getting the problem fixed.
The link was not posted as to where he should buy but only to give the OP a price comparison. ..

If we were always this critical on purchasing on-line we would never buy any thing. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 23, 2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Mastrogiacomo

I own the Beretta Vertec which is second to none. I had two FS which I sold because of bills and plan to get them back because they were accurate as anything and a blast to own. Highly recommend. Prices vary from state to state but it sounds in the ballpark.

Laura
Old February 23, 2014, 05:10 PM   #8
LockedBreech

$650 isn't obscene, but it's not a great price. I bought my Italian Beretta 92FS from Bud's Gun Shop for $580 - that includes shipping and insurance. With my local FFL I was $605 out of pocket. Currently, Bud's has the same Italian 92FS for $526. Even using a credit card and even paying an FFL fee, that is still well below $650. I have purchased four times on Bud's, always with great results (Excellent-grade Mosin 91/30, Beretta 96A1, Beretta 92FS, RIA 1911). It's worth noting that you can inspect the firearm upon receipt, and if you are not satisfied with what they sent, you can refuse the transfer and Bud's pays for the return shipping and gives you a refund.

I do not regret the purchase at all, even though I couldn't really afford it and should not have clicked buy. It's a lovely pistol, smooth and refined. No visible tooling, burrs, or finish problems. I've only fired 151 rounds through it (100 of WWB 115-grain, 51 of 124-grain Speer Gold Dot standard pressure), but those rounds ran perfectly and accurately.

It is a well-crafted service 9mm. For a person with somewhat larger than average hands like myself, it feels very natural.
Old February 23, 2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Grumpy_Bottom

As a 1911 die hard, and a browning hp devotee for 9mm applications, i was shocked at how much i loved the 92fs. It shoots amazing, fits my hand well, and takedown is remarkably easy. I like it so much that I've considered an a1 with rail as my bedside gun but i can't quite justify that yet when i can make do with the regular 92...if i had it to do over again, I'd buy the railed version and call it a day
Old February 23, 2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Dragline45

$650 isn't a great price, I see them at $550 all day as an average price. I got my M9A1 a few months back for $650, but they typically run $100 more than the 92 due to the addition of the rail.
Old February 23, 2014, 08:04 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Is it possible for an owner of a 92FS to install night sights himself, or does the slide have to be sent in for this?
Generally the front sight is integral to the slide. Also, the rear dovetails are VERY tight, in my experience. Night sights on the 92FS are not a do-it-yourself job.
Old February 23, 2014, 08:10 PM   #12
shortwave

Love the 1911 platform as well, but not anymore than the Beretta 92 series.

Mine have all been boringly reliable and more accurate then I could ever match. Also a long but very smooth trigger in DA and the recoil, even with +P is very soft. Suppose the weight has something to do with that.

Some don't care for the slide mounted safety on the 92 but this has just never bothered me. Too, I would handle one and manipulate the features as they are wide gripped. A great range and HD pistol but would be a beast for cc.

YMMV.
Old February 23, 2014, 09:45 PM   #13
1goodshot

You can have night sights installed for around $200 at tool tech. J&G had some nice used berettas last week.
Old February 23, 2014, 09:52 PM   #14
IM_Lugger

Quote:
I already own a Springer XDm in 9mm, minus night sights. Would the Beretta be redundant?
Not at all, they're quite different guns. Go for it I love my Inox 92.

btw I had the XDm but sold it since I liked my Glock better.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:45 AM   #15
Sweet Shooter

The 92 is a beautiful gun. An all-time design C L A S S I C. About $575.00 around my neck of the woods (over the counter). It will go on, and on, and on, and on, out-shooting you. You don't often hear it talked about in the pistol world like you do with other mil-standard firearms (AR/M4), but a good 92FS is a for-life purchase, chrome chamber and bore. The military gave up trying to break it during tests against Sig's offerings. Simple, easy to keep clean, and you can carry it under a shirt. Good for life. Or death, take your pick.
-SS-
Old February 24, 2014, 08:45 AM   #16
power5

7000 rounds through mine on all stock internals and only ever field stripped and cleaned. Has fired anything I have put into the mag. Softest shooting 9mm I have felt yet. My brothers heavier baby eagle is harder on the hand than my 92fs. The lighter slide may be a reason, and its probably a reason its so easy to get on target for followups.

I didn't get the railed version because I felt it ruined the classic look of the 92.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:46 AM   #17
cmichini

I like mine very much. Smooth trigger, accurate. I do wish the safety/decocker was on the frame (like the Sig) and not on the slide. Other than that I am a big fan. Plus surplus mags are very plentiful. I see them new at gun shows here in NC for about $12.

I found another for sale by private party early last year. It was a smoking deal so I bought it. That's my pistol for knocking around the range. It came with character (i.e., some scratches) so I don't worry if it gets a ding or two. The barrel is clear and bright and the operating surfaces had just the slightest finish wear.

They are sturdy guns. I'd say look around for a used one. You may be able to save a couple hundred bucks and still wind up with a nice gun that will last your lifetime.
Old February 24, 2014, 09:54 AM   #18
TailGator

I saw one for $600 just this weekend at a gun shop that is not known for great prices.

Great gun, though - beautiful in both aesthetics and in function. A D spring is a nice addition that lightens the trigger. Some people complain about the DA to SA transition, but it was something that I quickly grew accustomed to. Overall a 92FS is one of the nicest shooting pistols around, IMO, and one of the most handsome pistols in production, as well.
Old February 24, 2014, 10:36 AM   #19
Ryu825

A 92fs centurion was my first choice as a hd gun before I knew anything about guns and is still my favorite of my semis. I realize now that the grip is a little big for my short fingers after buying several other guns and maybe it has something to do with being my first but it still just feels right to me. I do wish the safety was on the frame but I can still reach it on the slide so it's ok. I'm a lefty so an ambi safety is a plus. You can also flip the mag release but I (with my short fingers) found it easier to keep it right handed and use my middle finger to release the mag without having to really change my grip. The da pull is long but smooth and breaks clean. People seem to complain about it but usually that first shot is my most accurate. First round I ever shot through her went through the bullseye and that was actually my first time ever shooting a semiauto . Takedown is pie just push the button, pull the lever and off comes the slide. I can field strip and put it back together 4 or 5 times before I can do the same once with a 1911. Adding night sights would be nice I should do the same but it's a job for a professional. Overall I love this gun and I'd recommend it to anyone
Old February 25, 2014, 02:17 AM   #20
Pilot

Install a Beretta "D" spring, and Elite II hammer, and you will get a much better DA trigger pull, and a slightly better SA pull too.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:07 AM   #21
Guv

Wonderful gun, could it be the "Luger" of our age? Very easy on the eyes, ultra reliable, something for a son/daughter, niece/nephew, good freind to be proud to inherit one day. And unlike all the plastic frame pistols you can individualize it with some nice grips, functional or purely cosmetic.
Old February 25, 2014, 12:54 PM   #22
dgludwig

Quote:
Also wondering if the DA/SA is more of a pain than it's worth; I've never shot a semi except for the SA or DA only models I own.
Mastering a DA/SA configured pistol is like anything else, it's mostly a matter of proper training and much practice. In terms of a semi-auto pistol being relied on for self-defense, carry concealed purposes, a da/sa-actioned pistol is the mode I do best with.
Old February 25, 2014, 01:48 PM   #23
Cheapshooter

The Beretta 92fs is a very nice, full size 9MM. Some complain about the large size of the grip, but mine fits me fine.
On price, one quick reference I use is Davidson'r Gallory of Guns Gun Genie http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx
A quick look turnd up a best price of $606 including shipping, FFL fees, and tax.
I have bought several guns from Cabela's, and Bass Pro. I think my 92fs came from Cabela's. The prices are not the best, but, when I factor in gift cards, and rewards points tied to their credit cards it can bring them below anything elsewhere. Wife, and kids all know that Cabala's gift cards are a preferred present. One key to my strategy, even though I use the credit cards a lot. I always only buy what I know I will have the money available to pay off each month so I don't get charged interest that would way more than wipe out the points.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 25, 2014, 02:14 PM   #24
LockedBreech

Cheapshooter, that's exactly what my dad does. I think he has like $950 in Cabela's points right now. He can't decide what to get.
Old February 25, 2014, 03:14 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

I love free guns!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!