The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 2008, 03:46 PM   #26
JP Sarte

taylorce1:

I have seen out of state guys buy guns while hunting in Michigan. Kind of like a "me gift" while on vacation sort of thing. I have done it myself. Last fall in Kentucky I bought a CVA stainless muzzleloader. Saw it. Liked it. Bought it.

I am with you 100% on the booze thing in camp but my reference was to drinking in places other than camp, i.e. the bar, restaurants, etc. The general point I guess is that it would be better to encourage commerce of all types instead of discouraging it. When people come they spend. It seems like the state is not really considering the big picture.

Although overcrowding is not a real problem in Michigan selling fewer licenses would seem to relieve that problem if it was. Charging unrealistic fees doesn't seem appropriate to me. If the true nature of out of state fees was to protect access for in-state hunters that would be a great way to go.

I spoke with a wildlife guy in Colorado two years ago on the phone and I asked him why bull tags were so expensive. To my complete surprise he was honest. His reply: "Because we can, we have something people just can't get in a lot of other places." Basically saying "that's what the market will bring".

I may be old fashioned but my notion of government is one where it serves the people not profits from them.

As with you I can only speak to the state I live in.

Michigan's Report Card

Law Enforcement: D+
Management: D
Academic study: C
Monitoring yearly harvest: F
Public disclosure of DNR information: F

JP