The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Carmady

Power Pistol vs HP-38 for lead .380acp, .38SP, .45ACP

During the shortage I stocked up on Power Pistol because it was either that or nothing, and it had been nothing for a couple/few years.

Now HP-38 is on the shelves, and I was wondering if it's a more suitable powder for what I'm loading, which is:

95gr L-RN for .380ACP
158gr L-SWC for .38 SPL & .357
200gr L-SWC for .45ACP

with max velocities well below 1000fps. Looking for similar recoil/feel to regular FMJ rounds for practice.

Barrel lengths:
.380 2.75"
.38 2"
.45 5"

Would HP-38 be better enough (if at all) to make it worth getting some?
Old February 19, 2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Slamfire

I was advised to use Power Pistol in the 9mm by David Sams, who built my Bullseye Pistol M92 Berretta. That is the powder he got best accuracy with 115 gr FMJ's. And I can say, it shoots fine.

HP-38 is the same powder as W231, of which I have shot kegs of the stuff in the 45 ACP. This powder is well characterized and very flexible in a wide number of pistol cartridges. I have tried it from 32 S&W Long up to the 45 L Colt. It works well and meters well. It was a staple for the 45 ACP.

So, I would recommend just trying it. But if the question is one powder "better" than the other, I cannot say. HP-38 has been around for a very long time, Power Pistol is relatively new, though it may be just a different burn rate Bullseye. Only time will tell, in our very crowded powder market, whether one is all that better than another.
Old February 19, 2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Sevens

Power Pistol is fantastic for high pressure, full-spec pistol rounds. Great in 9mm, .40 S&W and 10mm for sure.

Yes, can be used other places... if you want to make a .45 JHP load that runs to the end of it's ability, Power Pistol will work.

But I do have to agree that HP-38/W231 is definitely better suited to .38 and .45 loads, normal loads and typical "WWB" or hardball loads.

I say either is fine, if I were in your shoes... I would buy the HP-38 and use it. Good idea.
Old February 19, 2017, 01:05 PM   #4
ligonierbill

I use Power Pistol in all your rounds, with the exception of .357 Mag. However, the only one running lead is the .38 Special. PP works very well for me there, so I haven't tried HP-38, although I have some on hand. Would it work better for low velocity lead? Me, I'd give it a try. It is certainly an appropriate application, and a big reason I reload is to experiment. If I didn't have a planned load list in front of me, I'd try some today. Buy a pound of HP-38 and have fun. It won't go to waste.
Old February 19, 2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Carmady

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some.