The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2017, 09:51 PM   #1
TheLastGoodFight

"Skeeter Loads" for .45 Colt

I've been shooting a lot of .44 special lately with a 240grn "Elmer" bullet over 7.5grns of Unique, which I believe was Skelton's "pet load." I would like to replicate this round in .45 Colt using a 255grn Elmer bullet. I would prefer to remain in my Unique comfort zone, but would be willing to open my mind a smidge if absolutely necessary. Any suggestions?

Side note- Somewhere along the way Skeeter mentioned a good larger North American game .44 spec round that was a bit more potent than the above mentioned load but I've been unable to locate it. Does anyone have that info, and is it a safe round to shoot through modern Smiths?
Lastly, does the 240, 7.5grn load need a gas check? I've had some fouling issues in my s&w 21-4, which surprised me given Mr. Keith supposedly designed his bullet to be used without one. Thanks in advance.
Old February 12, 2017, 12:07 AM   #2
Pathfinder45

There is plenty of load data out there using Unique in 45 Colt with cast lead bullets. Pick a load that will give the velocity you are looking for. 8.5 grains is pretty standard, and hard to go wrong with.
Old February 12, 2017, 12:24 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Lastly, does the 240, 7.5grn load need a gas check? I've had some fouling issues in my s&w 21-4, which surprised me given Mr. Keith supposedly designed his bullet to be used without one.
Leading is not dependent on if the bullet is designed for a gas check, or not. Even gas checked bullets can cause leading if things aren't right.

Cast bullets need to be both the correct alloy hardness for the velocity they are being fired at, AND they need to be properly sized to fit the bore. Both of these things have to be correct, or you can have leading problems.

the design of the bullet doesn't mean it can't be too soft, too hard, over, or undersized. That depends on the caster & sizer.
Old February 12, 2017, 09:22 AM   #4
TheLastGoodFight

I am using a #430240EK from Missouri Bullet Company, diameter .430 made for .44 spec/mag. I've yet to dabble in my own casting yet. I'm having a hard enough time getting mass produced products to yield favorable results.
Old February 12, 2017, 09:47 AM   #5
rodfac

For the leading issues with your .44 and commercial cast bullets, try the Lee Liquid Alox, swirl lubing technique right over the top of the commercial lube. It's worked for me so well, that I routinely swirl lube any commercial lead alloy bullets before use.

For Skeeter's pet, standard load for the .45 Colt, I remember in one of his writings using 8.0 - 8.3 gr of Unique behind either the flat point round nosed bullet (Lyman's 454190) as well as the Keith replica (Lyman 454424). I cast both of them from straight wheel weights with a pinch of tin to help mold fill out.

Missouri Bullet Co. mimics these two venerable designe with their .45 Colt Cowboy #1 at 250 grains (RNFP) & the Elmer K at 255 grains (LSWC). I've shot the Elmer Keith one with good results ~2.5" 25 yds from a New Vaquero, but have no experience with the other. Both are relatively hard bullets at 18 brinell but I got no leading (using the add'l Lee lubing technique).

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 12, 2017, 10:00 AM   #6
huntinaz

8.5-9gr Unique and a 250-260gr SWC is classic stuff in the 45 Colt.
Old February 12, 2017, 11:06 AM   #7
rclark

Quote:
Lastly, does the 240, 7.5grn load need a gas check?
No. I've loaded from 600fps to 1300fps with lead bullets with no significant leading. As said above, leading can be caused by multiple things. Throat dimensions, bullet diameter, barrel constrictions, and bullet hardness are usual culprits, To hard a bullet driven slow, or to soft driven to fast cause leading. For .44 Special 12-15 BRN hardness should be a about right.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 12, 2017, 11:29 AM   #8
black mamba

I highly recommend Missouri Bullet's coated bullets. They are clean to handle and cleaner to shoot. I love Herco with cast bullets, and 9-9½ grains is great with the 255 SWC.
Old February 12, 2017, 06:44 PM   #9
sghart3578

I load a Lee 255 gr RFN, as cast and lubed with Lee Alox over 8.5 gr of Unique.

I shoot this in my Vaquero, my Blackhawk and my Rossi '92 (that I have since sold).

It is accurate, soft shooting and will do the job. In my opinion it is the first and last load that you need.

Steve in N CA
Old February 12, 2017, 09:19 PM   #10
TheLastGoodFight

This is all great info. I sincerely appreciate everyone's participation.
Old February 13, 2017, 08:15 AM   #11
Real Gun

"Ruger only" loads do not include your Smith & Wesson. Be careful.

I have done well with 9.0 gr Unique and 250-255 gr lead, but I shoot it in a Ruger NM Blackhawk. I believe my Vaquero would handle it too.
Old February 13, 2017, 08:31 AM   #12
huntinaz

http://http://sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

9gr should be fine according to Taffin. I liked that load but have a lot of Herco so been using that at about 8.5gr.
Old February 13, 2017, 05:15 PM   #13
Paul B.

"I am using a #430240EK from Missouri Bullet Company, diameter .430 made for .44 spec/mag. I've yet to dabble in my own casting yet. I'm having a hard enough time getting mass produced products to yield favorable results."-

I feed several .44 Spl. and mag. handguns and have found that bullets sized .431" work a lot better. Very little leading and they're accurate in my revolvers.
Of course, I do my own casting. it's the only way to get exactly what I want.
Paul B.
Old February 14, 2017, 01:51 PM   #14
GeauxTide

8-9 grains of Unique will be dandy. Missouri bullets are excellent.
Old February 15, 2017, 02:06 AM   #15
salvadore

I had a .44spec. With a cylinder of .435 and a bore of .427, if I had sized to the bore, gas cutting would have been monumental. I don't think that big of difference is common, but sizing to the bore may not be a good idea.