The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 23, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
toppermost

Least "scratchy" holster? Holster wear...

(Every holster scratches eventually, but...) Which "plastic" holsters in your experience tend to scratch the finish of your handgun the least?

I want an all-around, range, open carry, hiking, camping retention holster. I had one great Serpa a couple of years ago but have had bad luck with them ever since (were they lemons??).

I am interested in the 5.11 thumb drive, or a Safariland thumb drive of some kind - but I am open to ideas!

Last edited by toppermost; December 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old December 24, 2013, 03:09 AM   #2
chris in va

Helps if you post the gun model.

How about a quality thumb snap leather OWB? Would look classy out in AZ plus wouldn't flop around as much.
Old December 24, 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Shadi Khalil

I have been using Comptac holsters for years and have not had any issues with scratching.
Old December 24, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Leather is going to scratch less and hold up just as well. It will look better too.
Old December 24, 2013, 11:09 AM   #5
BarryLee

I have two of the SafariLand 6378 holsters. I use the belt mount instead of the paddle, but it comes with both so you can choose which you like better. The holster has a thumb operated locking mechanism and a lining to protect your gun. I got them on Amazon for a decent price and may buy more in the future.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6378
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 24, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
toppermost

It would be for a Glock 23.

I admit, I have always wanted a nice looking leather holster, but I am concerned about moisture - I go anywhere and every where I hike. It will get wet. It will get sandy. It will get mud in it.
Old December 24, 2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've been carrying a Glock 33 in a Crossbreed Supertuck since January 2008. The only apparent damage to the gun is where the top edge of the kydex goes across the slide. It appears to slowly polish the tennifer finish such that there is now a shiny line maybe 1/10" wide across the slide. Personally, I couldn't care less.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:20 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Safariland AT7 holster line....

Check into the new polymer holster series from Safariland; www.policehq.com www.safariland.com .
I think it's called AT7 or AS7. These new designs reportedly reduce the contact points inside the holster body & let dirt/grit/water/etc slip through.
They are only for the Beretta M9 9mm pistol & the Glock 22/17 models but in early 2014, I'm sure the firm will bring out more designs.

The holster costs around $36.00 too, .
I might get one for the Smith & Wesson M&P pistol. They are easy to modify to cross draw FBI cant etc.

Clyde
Old December 25, 2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I admit, I have always wanted a nice looking leather holster, but I am concerned about moisture - I go anywhere and every where I hike. It will get wet. It will get sandy. It will get mud in it.
It will clean up easily with a damp cloth. Unless you are swimming with your gun on your side, I would still go with leather.
Old December 26, 2013, 08:03 AM   #10
WC145

Quote:
I have two of the SafariLand 6378 holsters. I use the belt mount instead of the paddle, but it comes with both so you can choose which you like better. The holster has a thumb operated locking mechanism and a lining to protect your gun. I got them on Amazon for a decent price and may buy more in the future.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6378
These are great holsters, rugged and secure, and very, very fast. I've used one for casual duty work and IDPA and have been very pleased with it. I just wish they made a Commander length model for 1911s, luckily they're inexpensive enough for me to experiment with shortening one to fit.
It does leave light rub marks on the top of the slide behind the ejection port.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 26, 2013, 11:42 PM   #11
boondocker385

I like leather.... I find that sweat is tougher on holsters than dirt and water.
Old December 27, 2013, 11:41 AM   #12
KyJim

I would suggest you look at Garret Industries line of holsters -- http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-holsters/. They have a Kydex shell and are lined inside with thin leather. Keeps moisture out whle protecting the gun's finish as much as possible. I sometimes carry my Kahr CM9 in one and can recommend it.

Old December 27, 2013, 05:46 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

If you don't want to damage the finish I suggest not holstering the firearm.
Old December 28, 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Fugit1ve Wizard

My Uncle Mike's Reflex holster works well for me. Glock finish is very durable, and should last through many draws before you'll see wear, particularly with a modern synthetic holster such as the Reflex.
Old December 30, 2013, 12:07 PM   #15
toppermost

Quote:
If you don't want to damage the finish I suggest not holstering the firearm.
...am I the only one who wishes you could delete posts that contribute nothing to a discussion?
Old December 30, 2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Microgunner

I've had bad experiences with plastic holsters in the past and therefore prefer leather.
Recently I purchased a S&W M&P CORE and could not find anyone willing to make a leather holster for it (it has a Trijicon RMR mounted).
I finally ordered a custom fitted Kydex holster from Bravo Concealment.
I've been wearing it four days a week and after six weeks or so the pistol is showing significant finish wear.
I hate plastic holsters.
Old December 31, 2013, 06:50 AM   #17
In memory of dad

Holsters

ALL holsters will eventually wear on a finish. Some faster than others but that's what handguns are made for. To carry and protect, not look pretty or go buy a stainless weapon
Old December 31, 2013, 07:55 AM   #18
PawPaw

Quote:
I am interested in the 5.11 thumb drive, or a Safariland thumb drive of some kind - but I am open to ideas!
I can't speak to the 5.11 holsters, but the Safariland ALS system holsters are leather lined. I have several of them for various pistols and they're my go-to retention holsters.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 2, 2014, 04:35 AM   #19
crashxl

If it's a carry gun why are you worried about scratches? It's no longer a pretty safe queen it's a freaking tool to save your life! Use the thing like it! Would you buy a hammer and and only use nails that wouldn't scratch it?
Old January 2, 2014, 11:36 AM   #20
DannyB1954

I use one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-Sport-...item46156cd272
They look like cheap junk, but it is my favorite. It is made from a soft flexable plastic. I see no wear on my guns. It is ambi, so you just need the one for your caliber. I think this is the one.

I accidentally bought 2 of them from Amazon. A couple of years later and I am still on the first one, and I am not letting go of the 2nd one either. Also fits my Ruger SR9C nicely.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:11 PM   #21
toppermost

Quote:
ALL holsters will eventually wear on a finish.
This was mentioned in the OP.

Does anyone actually read these things?
Old January 3, 2014, 05:15 PM   #22
KyJim

I get the fact that using guns causes wear. That's part of it. What I don't get is why some folks care if somebody else wants to minimizes that wear by using a leather holster. Why not just get a holster lined with something really abrasive like sandpaper? Why not get everything duracoated in pink or neon green if the looks don't matter?
Old January 3, 2014, 07:09 PM   #23
Sarge

Any of the lined Safariland holsters are good. I use the 27 for IWB and the 295 for duty. I've used the 6280 and it's a good duty holster as well.

I've also got a Bianchi UM84, which covers the gun well but that danged metal ring will contact the slide of my nickel 1911occasionally, on the draw. I believe they make a thumb break attachment for it and I may have to try that.

Tags
5.11 , glock 23 , serpa