The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 28, 2021, 07:41 PM   #1
Stormshadow45

Magpul MOE handguard strength

Do you feel that the Magpul MOE handguards are strong enough to support a sling? I am looking at trying the QD sling mounts but I am afraid that the carbine course I am going with all the movement and running the metal inserts might pull through the plastic. I have looked at some of the metal handguards but weight is a issue.
Old October 28, 2021, 10:09 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

I personally found the MOE hand guard to be a touch flimsy, however the MOE slimline is a touch sturdier. however IMHO neither are good candidates for direct sling mounts
Old October 29, 2021, 04:52 PM   #3
BornFighting88

Magpul is pretty good for accessorizing an MSR, or a stock and parts for a .22 rifle, IMHO. But for something that could take the weight of the rifle, maybe more. I don’t like them. They are plastic, after all. You have a valid concern about the steel cups separating from the plastic host. Unlikely to happen, but still possible. Had a Magpul stock on my 22 charger and was a huge fan, but for a fine center fire rifle….. nah, pass.
Old October 29, 2021, 06:35 PM   #4
HWS

In Swahili, Magpul=Plastic Crap

After a trick handguard failed, my sling came off, and my rifle fell in the dirt after a hard shooting run, I went back to double heat shielded mil spec handguards. No heating problem, no failures.
Old October 30, 2021, 07:16 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

About 10 15 years ago I put one of these on a rifle. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3058349150

It has sockets for QD sling swivels on both sides.

Some rail covers for hand protection and you can mount a vertical grip anywhere you want. Also it offers better ventilation than the MOE or mil-spec handguards
Old November 2, 2021, 07:11 AM   #6
gaseousclay

Agree with some of the others. Magpul makes some good accessories, but I wouldn't trust their handguard with mounting a sling. I have a Midwest Industries free floated handguard that's built like a brick house and I don't have to worry about my sling becoming detached
Old November 2, 2021, 07:21 AM   #7
101combatvet

Go with mil-spec.
Old November 2, 2021, 08:19 AM   #8
Joe-ker

I agree with others. Plastic is fine until you want some serious attachments, then go aluminum