The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 21, 2015, 09:44 PM   #26
Valerko

I'd say you need to concentrate on planing more then a gun. I have Sig 226 with light and spare mag for me , as well as shotgun loaded with 2 target loads, 3 00 bucks and slug , for my wife.
If I decide to go investigate a bump in the night (that's a big if ) , I sure as hell don't wanna leave my wife unarmed
Old September 22, 2015, 08:47 AM   #27
FAS1

Quote:
I currently have a 4 inch .357 revolver. Is that good enough? I was thinking of picking up a shotgun too. Maybe a remington 870.
Nothing wrong with your gun for HD. I do also keep a shotgun (Beretta 1201FP) loaded in the big safe in the closet. My wife would go that direction if something happened. My primary HD gun is next to my bed in a quick access handgun safe.
Old September 23, 2015, 07:06 AM   #28
adamBomb

Quote:
Nothing wrong with your gun for HD. I do also keep a shotgun (Beretta 1201FP) loaded in the big safe in the closet. My wife would go that direction if something happened. My primary HD gun is next to my bed in a quick access handgun safe.
I just got one of your FAS1 safes and mounted it in my closet. I like the quick access and it should keep the kids out.
Old September 23, 2015, 07:46 AM   #29
OldMarksman
Staff

Posted by FAS1:
Quote:
My primary HD gun is next to my bed ...
So was mine , from 1962 into the first years of 21st century.

Then two things occurred to me:
  • It would be accessible timely, if I happened to be in the bedroom when I happened to need it; and
  • it would not be accesible, if I happened to be in most other places in the house.
Old September 23, 2015, 08:39 AM   #30
TimSr

I love how a guy can ask a simple about whether his only gun is suitable for home defense and it turnes into a debate about whether he has to become reloader.

357 is a fine tool for home defense. Perhaps someday it will lead you to becoming a hardcore gun enthiast, after which you might eventually buy other guns and take up reloading. Go buy some factory ammo and shoot it.
Old September 23, 2015, 09:02 AM   #31
adamBomb

Quote:
I love how a guy can ask a simple about whether his only gun is suitable for home defense and it turnes into a debate about whether he has to become reloader.

357 is a fine tool for home defense. Perhaps someday it will lead you to becoming a hardcore gun enthiast, after which you might eventually buy other guns and take up reloading. Go buy some factory ammo and shoot it.
Yes reloading is not for me.
Old September 23, 2015, 11:58 AM   #32
jimbob86

Quote:
He does not have to do anything.

He should practice. Reloading would make that more economical, if he wanted to take that up. He does not, at this time.

Quote:
Go buy some factory ammo and shoot it.
...and save your brass, if only to sell as "once fired" ..... that would help defray the cost of factory ammo a bit. Once fired .357 brass can bring 10-20 cents apiece .....
Old September 23, 2015, 12:09 PM   #33
FAS1

Quote:
So was mine , from 1962 into the first years of 21st century.

Then two things occurred to me:
It would be accessible timely, if I happened to be in the bedroom when I happened to need it; and
it would not be accesible, if I happened to be in most other places in the house.
HaHa! For me, when I am sleeping is when I am unarmed and most vulnerable so that is when I need a HD gun close by. If I am awake, I am armed.
Old September 23, 2015, 12:11 PM   #34
FAS1

Quote:
I just got one of your FAS1 safes and mounted it in my closet. I like the quick access and it should keep the kids out.
Thank you, always glad to hear some feedback!
Old September 23, 2015, 12:32 PM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer

OK - the 357 works. The OP would benefit from taking some HD oriented shooting training. Reload if you want to.

Is that it?
Old September 23, 2015, 02:37 PM   #36
leadcounsel

Quote:
I am starting to wish that I could read a thread on TFL that includes the word "reloading" without it turning into an MBA project.
I'm starting to wish reloaders didn't always default to the "cost savings" argument, which for most people doesn't add up... Call it an expensive hobby that allows you to recoup some costs, fine. But I tire of reading about all the money you save by reloading, like a big sale pitch.

I'll also note that the OP has agreed that another expensive hobby would get him in big trouble with the kids, and he's noted that he doesn't have the room or desire to get into it and keep the kids out of it... I believe that's check and mate.

But yes save the brass since it has resale/trade value for those who reload. I have no beef with reloader hobbyists. For those folks I applaud the endeavor.

Quote:
leadcounsel, do you calculate the cost of your time spent on gun fora?
In my time here, I've posted 0.56 posts per day - and I do it as a momentary distraction from work.... on a computer that is already in front of me. So, hardly the same as setting up in front of a press assembling bullets in total concentration for hours on end. It's a form of communication, entertainment, learning, and hobby. It costs me zero $, and minimal time investment to read the and reply to the occasional post.

All of my "down" time is mentally noted as to a cost/benefit analysis. We are designed for downtime and rest. But I realize that laying on the couch all day costs me a lot of money and productivity. I'm sure everyone here does as well.