The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 5, 2013, 01:45 PM   #126
jimbob86

Quote:
Can you imagine what the world would be like if the ignorance displayed in gun stores, (from both sides of the counter), carried over to other things?
It does. I read somewhere that today's "Education" system does not educate anyone, but prepares people to be trained in a narrow field, such that we have people that are highly trained in their own narrow field, but are helpless outside of it, and are conditioned to seek the advice of "experts", trust it implicitly, and have no curiosity to investigate things themselves .

Case in point- My brother works as Service tech for a giant equipment rental company .... This morning, he got an "emergency" call to drop what he was doing and drive across his major metro area (1.5 hour drive) to the airport, to fix a piece of equipment ...... arrived on the site with the Foreman telling him, "Your (piece of equipment) is running like (excrement), get it fixed!"

Brother: "Did you put fuel in it?"

Foreman:" Umm ......lemmee check....."

Foreman: "Oh.... OK, That explains that ....... (fuels and starts quipment)"

Brother: (standing there with arms folded, nodding knowingly) ....."All better now? See, I'm amazing: All I have to do is show up and ask a question, and stuff works.

It seems to me that more and more, ignorance is the rule, rather than the exception.
Old November 5, 2013, 08:09 PM   #127
Ozzieman

No apology necessary.
That HK crap was getting on my nerves.
Thank you.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 6, 2013, 08:23 AM   #128
TimSr

Not a gun store, but my story goes back to 1989, checking in at Akron-Canton airport in my way to Ketchikan Alaska. I check in my luggage and declare two firearms. They were required to physically check them. First I open the pistol case, and the poor lady obviously had no knowledge of arms whatsoever. She picks up my Ruger Redhawk, points it at her face and starts looking in the barrel to see if its loaded. In subdued and calm, yet near panic, I quickly grab the gun from her, and calmly say, "here, let me help you with that" and I flip open the cylinder and show her where cartridges would be if there were any. I open the rifle case, my rifle has the bolt removed, and I point to the empty box magazine in the gun. I was polite, calm, and smiling on the outside, but on the inside, I was shocked that she would be required to do this, with no training or procedure to defer to another employee with training.
In contast, while checking in at Ketchikan for the return trip, the lady opens the pistol case, flips open the Redhawk, spins the cylinder, slaps it shut and back in the case. She opens the rife case, and says "Model 70. Nice! The bolt needs to be removed." (The bolt was in, but open.) Then she reaches in, unlocks the bolt, pops it out, and sets it in the case beside the rifle, and closes it.
Cultural difference? Sarah Palin always reminds me of that flight attendant checking me in at Ketchikan and the difference in firearms knowledge and familiarity with Akaskan women. There was time when most of America was that way.
Old November 6, 2013, 11:31 AM   #129
Chaz88

Was at Wall Mart yesterday and strolled by the ammo section to see if any had magically showed up. There was a guy looking for .380. He was diligently searching his I-phone to see if .38 spl would work in his .380. I can see how the question might come up but it struck me as funny, particularly after I told him why it would not work and he then went on to extoll all the virtues of the .380 round. If he has spent the time to come up with a list of good points about the round how come he would think a .38 spl might work?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 6, 2013, 03:04 PM   #130
Darren007

Quote:
flips open the Redhawk, spins the cylinder, slaps it shut and back in the case.
My reaction to her doing this would have been the same as your reaction to the lady at the Akron airport. Sorry. Thats poor gun handling. Especially when it belongs to someone else.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #131
Chaz88

Would have to agree with that. The first thing I tell people is not to slam the cylinders open and shut or they will never touch one of my revolvers again.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 8, 2013, 05:53 AM   #132
dean1818

I had an employee at a local pawn shop show me a pistol that they has behind the counter.

As he picked up the gun he made a point to put his forefinger in the end of the barrel and handed it to me.

I looked it over thinking that he was just handling it odd, then I handed it back
And he immediately put the same finger in the barrel, then put it away.

I learned something..... All those years where bugs bunny put his fingers in the barrel of elmer fudds guns must actually work......

I have been a loser and have been using a safety all these years.....

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old November 8, 2013, 09:42 AM   #133
LockedBreech

Share your dumbest gun store stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
I had an employee at a local pawn shop show me a pistol that they has behind the counter.

As he picked up the gun he made a point to put his forefinger in the end of the barrel and handed it to me.

I looked it over thinking that he was just handling it odd, then I handed it back
And he immediately put the same finger in the barrel, then put it away.

I learned something..... All those years where bugs bunny put his fingers in the barrel of elmer fudds guns must actually work......

I have been a loser and have been using a safety all these years.....
I realize I'm a bit OCD, but if he does that 10x a day I wonder what the oils on his fingers are doing to the barrel.
Old November 8, 2013, 09:54 AM   #134
jimbob86

What caliber of pistol can a man stick his finger into?
Old November 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #135
2ndsojourn

^^^ Maybe it was the tip of his pinky in the end of a 500 magnum.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:30 AM   #136
Closing The Gap

Maybe he was a gnome.
Old November 8, 2013, 12:01 PM   #137
dean1818

It was the tip of his finger.... Dont remeber the caliber

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old November 8, 2013, 12:56 PM   #138
Tom Servo
Staff

Everyone's had their chance to pitch in, but we're getting off the reservation here.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:27 PM   #139
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Share your dumbest gun store stories.

LIVE! from the Dumbest!

We're at Bass Pro in Auburn NY.
Guy behind gun counter holding Rem 870, says to customer "Nice this about a pump (forcefully racks pump) most times you don't even need ammo (racks forcefully again), that sound is all you need!"

Now, I realize this has been mentioned but I've always viewed it as like a big foot kind of thing. Sure, people talk about it, say they've seen/heard it, but it can't be real.

Well, it's real.
Closed Thread