The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 11, 2000, 03:19 PM   #1
stuckatwork

Hello everyone!

My buddy bought an after market barrel for his Glock 17 because he wanted to shoot lead bullets. And he refused to believe me that lead can be used in his factory barrel without terrible things happening. Anyway, when he got the barrel he discovered that it would not chamber reloaded ammo. He contacted Federal (the place he got the barrel from) and was told that he needed to use new, virgin brass to be fire formed and only used with that barrel.

I miked the new barrels chamber and got a reading of .385. Where as the Glock factory barrel miked out at .390, a Sig barrel miked at .393 ( a bit loose)and my Beretta 92 came in at .390. The outside diameter of a 9mm case reload averaged at .391.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of this situation before? I can almost understand this if this barrel was a high end competition barrel, it is not. Do you think that the rep is blowing smoke his patooki?

Thanks,

Old December 12, 2000, 08:47 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Stuckatwork, personally I think they're blowing smoke. Whether you use new brass or fired brass your die is going to resize it the same every time. It sounds more like to me that the barrel was chambered with a worn reamer. The case dimension spec for 9mm at the base is .392". You might also look at the diameter of the bullet itself. Another thing I would check would be the crimp. It's just possible that the brass was bulged slightly when the bullet was seated. George