The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 23, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
EdInk

Two-Tone Finishes

I was wondering if anyone owns (or even seen) any revolvers with two-tone finishes on them?

You see it all the time on 1911s and other semiautos (the slide and frame) but I cannot recall seeing it done very often on a revolver. I think a bead-blasted barrel and cylinder on a non-shiny blued gun (like a Ruger GP 100) could look nice.

The only ones that I recall being even close to two-tone are some of the S&W Ti or Sc Airweight J-frame snubbies but those only have different colored cylinders. The barrels are still the same color as the frame.

Can anyone think of some others or post pics from their collection?
Old October 23, 2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Zhillsauditor

I just purchased a S&W 627 PC V - 8, which is a black stainless steel frame with polished SS cylinder and muzzle break, and chrome plated trigger and hammer.

Looks like this:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Can't wait to take it out and shoot it.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I just picked up a two-tone revolver -- black frame, shiny cylinder, hammer and trigger. I haven't fired it yet. I may be able to live with the trigger, but the cylinder is going in to the mail today to a gunsmith friend to be shot with black Gun-Kote to match the frame.

I detest two-tone firearms.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Bob Wright

Well, I for one, own a trio of two-tone revolvers:

Or, actually, tri-toned revolvers, brass, blue, and case colored. For more you might consider opening the Ruger Forum for stainless/blue or nickel/blue revovlers. They are pretty popular with some folks. Sort of like mushi, either you like it or your don't.

Bob Wright
Old October 23, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
aaronsc

Look at Charter Arms' website The have lots.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/
Old October 23, 2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Bob Wright

Annnnnnnnnnnd furthermore, the 1875 Remingtons replicas have nickeled frames and blued barrels and cylinders. And Interarms Virginian had chrome plated trigger guard and backstraps. Many old Colt cap-and-ball guns had silver plated grip straps.

Realy, bottom line, they're not so rare a'tall.

Bob Wright
Old October 25, 2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Archer 9505

Pinto

In the 70's a style with frame blued and barrel and cylinder nickle was somewhat popular. I think it was called Pinto. (see link)

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Electra_Glide_in_Blue
Old October 25, 2012, 05:15 PM   #8
rrruger

I have seen a couple of very nice bead blasted stainless guns. The frame and cylinder were blasted with one medium and the cylinder flutes and recessed areas were blasted with another. The result is a two tone stainless finish.
Old October 25, 2012, 05:20 PM   #9
MLeake

In addition to case-colored or case-hardened and blue, there are also brass frames with blued barrels in cylinders with some older and reproduction revolvers.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Dave T

The only two tone revolver I've ever owned is my most recent acquisition. It's a S&W Custom Shop 681 3", round butt with the frame and barrel done in a OD green Teflon and the cylinder, hammer and trigger done in the same coating but in black. The coating was done by Birdsong for S&W.

I got it because it's a 7 shot 3", RB but not because of the two tone finish. It's ugly as sin but it seems to shoot pretty well so I suppose I'll get used to the color eventually. Or, since it seems to show holster wear pretty easily, when it gets bad looking enough I may just have the whole thing bead blasted to a satin stainless.

Dave
Old October 25, 2012, 10:31 PM   #11
5whiskey

Bob, I am in lust... and very jealous