The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 25, 2022, 11:17 AM   #1
bluetopper

Cheapest aftermarket rifle barrel maker

I'm wanting to put a not very common rifle chambering on a Savage Axis and I was wondering where I can get the best deal on an aftermarket rifle barrel?
Old April 25, 2022, 01:39 PM   #2
hounddawg

least expensive I have seen would be ER Shaw. Eabco, Midway, Brownells all carry them for around $270 with a barrel spanner
Old April 25, 2022, 02:16 PM   #3
BornFighting88

What do you consider "not very common" for a chambering?
Old April 25, 2022, 02:33 PM   #4
bluetopper

6mm BR if that matters.
Old April 25, 2022, 04:47 PM   #5
GeauxTide

Shaw doesn't offer barrels for Axis and $200 is the low end. You'd do better to buy an Axis in 243 because you'll spend and easy 150-200 on mounting and chambering.
Old April 25, 2022, 05:24 PM   #6
hounddawg

Axis uses the Savage small thread size, same as the 110 does from .223 - .308

that being said ER Shaw does not have a prefit chambered barrel for 6BR. Call James at Northland Shooters Supply (763) 682-4296 and get a Criterion prefit in almost any chamber you would want. $340 - $365 for stainless match depending on length. Tax and shipping will put that at or slightly above $400. McGowen might be slightly cheaper, but not by much by the time you add in chambering , crowning, and finishing.

While you are spending money budget another 200 or so for a barrel wrench, action vise, GO/ NO GO Gages and a lapped recoil lug. Oh and get a new barrel nut. The easiest way to get the old nut off is with a 24 inch pipe wrench, a propane torch and a cheater bar. Savage puts them on at the factory so tight the Pope would cuss

One other thing, if you want the rifle to be repeater and eject you will need to modify the ejector pin slightly to get the short 6BR case to eject properly. Nothing major, just need a jewelry file and a bit of patience to deepen a notch. But you might buy a spare ejector or two and a couple of springs in case one decides to launch itself across the garage on disassembly / reassembly. Been there done that. Google for a video of where it is needed to be filed down.

Last edited by hounddawg; April 25, 2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old April 25, 2022, 06:56 PM   #7
bluetopper

I'm told the Axis action is not their short action and not what I need. I need a mentor.
Old April 25, 2022, 08:27 PM   #8
BornFighting88

Just curious. I have not heard of or do not know that round off of the top of my head. Check out McGowen, too. They have pre-fits once in a while that someone orders and doesn’t pay for. They may have 6BR pre fit for you.
Old April 25, 2022, 08:54 PM   #9
bluetopper

How about a barrel from Eabco.
Old April 27, 2022, 08:59 AM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide
Shaw doesn't offer barrels for Axis and $200 is the low end. You'd do better to buy an Axis in 243 because you'll spend and easy 150-200 on mounting and chambering.
Any small shank pre-fit barrel for Savage 10/110 fits the Axis action, so if they make a Savage pre-fit it'll fit the Axis action. A decent custom barrel will cost around $400 plus the tools to install it. I on average spend between $500-600 for barrels depending on custom options like fluting, muzzle threads, and coatings. I find that cheap barrels usually shoot okay around 1.5 MOA to start, but it takes awhile fir them to settle in around 1 MOA. Although I've had one that wouldn't shoot better than 2 MOA ever.
Old April 27, 2022, 03:11 PM   #11
stagpanther

Eabco/Shaw does make a 6mm BR Norma--ever so slight difference from the BR but still needs different sizing from the BR. i have one and can switch it out from axis to 110 no problem. All that said--if you got any flavor of the 6BR (there's at least 3) I'd go with a AICS magazine capable stock/chassis as the cartridge can be a tough one for short-actions to feed due to short COL. MDT makes a good one.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 27, 2022 at 03:30 PM.
Old April 27, 2022, 05:39 PM   #12
hounddawg

My bad Stag , thanks for the correction
Old April 27, 2022, 09:09 PM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
My bad Stag , thanks for the correction
No sweat and I agree a barrel vetted by NSS would be better, but their production times were waaaaaay out there last time I asked (unless you get an in-stock).
Old May 1, 2022, 06:55 AM   #14
std7mag

The big question is.
What kind of shooting platform are you planning your build?

A hunting rifle?
Bench rest? Short range (400 yards & under) long range (600 - 1,000 yards)?
Varmints?
F- Class?

Single feed, or magazine?

All these help determine contour, length and twist rate.

Of course any extras add to a barrels cost. Stainless, fluted, threaded muzzle, etc.

Right now Douglas has the fastest turn around for a new barrel. (3-4 weeks)
Depending upon what your looking for most everyone else is 6 months plus.

If you have a smith local, or a lathe, there are barrel blanks out there that ship in 24 hours.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 1, 2022, 08:05 AM   #15
ilmonster

I can vouch for Northland Shooter Supply and their barrel systems. I have a Rem 700 action I recently had the barrel removed from. I ordered a 6mmBR Norma barrel (26" Varmint contour), tools and go/no-go gauge set from NSS and installed it on my action with no issues (same process as Savage, just a different nut spec). Last week, I loaded up my first 25 rounds to break in the barrel. These shot well on a very windy day. Cleaned the barrel last night, and this was the easiest barrel to clean I've ever shot (I've never shot a non-factory barrel). These barrels are made locally (locally for me) by Criterion. The 6mm BR Norma is also a really neat round. Low recoil (the R700 was formerly a 6.5CM), doesn't use a ton of powder and so far looks to be a really accurate cartridge (which the 6BR is known for). Definitely worth the money!

p.s. MDT magazines work great. I don't think there is truly a "cheap" way to rebarrel your Savage. 6mm BR Norma isn't that rare a cartridge, and there is in fact a website dedicated to the caliber (6mmbr.com). A lot of bench rest and PRS shooters use 6mmBR. Let us know what you choose!

Last edited by ilmonster; May 1, 2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old May 1, 2022, 09:34 AM   #16
stagpanther

The eabco 6mm BR Norma barrel I bought was easy peesy to pop on and off a savage action EXCEPT the included guages they sent were not the right size--took me a few seized bolts after firing to figure that out. Replaced with PTG guages and all was right in the jungle again.

edited to correct; eabco manufacture

Last edited by stagpanther; May 1, 2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old May 1, 2022, 06:53 PM   #17
std7mag

Since when did Shaw include headspace gauges?
I have bought 4 of their barrels (ok, 1 was a private buy) and never got a headspace gauge.
Didn't know you could order one from them either.

Note,
Shilen also doesn't "include" headspace gauges. Lol
I got the Shilen through NSS.

Old May 1, 2022, 07:21 PM   #18
stagpanther

My barrel came with a barrel nut wrench and black non-descript go and no-go guages. A cartridge would not headspace properly when I used them at first. This was an Eabco "special." https://www.eabco.net/savage-rifle-b...-by-eabco.html

I do not know who actually made the blank for Eabco--maybe Douglas--in which case I'm technically wrong that Shaw exclusively made the 6mm BR Norma barrel featured on the Eabco site. But they do offer shaw kits including the gauges. I replaced the gauges with PTGs and everything was fine. Don't recall saying shilen supplied gauges.

Last edited by stagpanther; May 1, 2022 at 07:52 PM.
Old May 4, 2022, 06:57 AM   #19
bacardisteve

Criterion barells are hard to beat for savage pre fits.
Old May 26, 2022, 07:51 PM   #20
bamaranger

kit special

About Feb of this year I bought a EABco Shaw package deal, cheap, no shipping, to include wrench and 2 gauges., cal .243 Win. An experienced pal helped me remove the muzzle/crown boogered Savage factory tube from the 1980's era Savage 110. Getting the headspace right was a chore, can't say if it was the included gauges, the action or us, but eventually we got it right.

My usual , safe load yielded high pressure signs and low velocities and so-so, accuracy from the onset, and I was concerned I'd made a major goof. But.....

A change in powders boosted velocities while yielding no signs of high pressure. My C.O.A.L. has shortened noticeably, chasing the lands will be easy with this one. I've relieved the barrel channel a wee bit at the forearm and will shoot for groups this weekend...here's hoping.

My Shaw/EABCO experience thus far is positive.
Old May 27, 2022, 02:19 AM   #21
stagpanther

The go no/go gauges that came with my barrel were actually quite far off from one another--I mean who thinks to measure the gauges when they get them, right? My rifle kept having headspacing issues and eventually I got tired of adjusting the barrel nut over and over--that's when I did a shoulder measure between the gauges and discovered there was too much space between them, the PTG guages were tighter and when I used them my headspace issues went away.
Old May 28, 2022, 06:42 AM   #22
std7mag

Setting headspace shouldn't be that hard.
And i'll agree, you kinda expect headspace gauges to be correct.
I've only used PT&G and 4D Rental gauges. Both have worked with no issues.

The only thing that's given me issues of late, are new Savage rifles. The "loctite" they use is like left over shot blast. Hard as heck to unscrew the barrel from the action & get the barrel nut off the barrel.
Screwing the barrel onto another action i didn't like the feel of.
Had to order a tap & die to clean the threads up.

Bamaranger,

With 243 Win & 100gr bullets, think slow!
As in burn rate.
Try RL26, IF you can find any!

You can thank me later.

Old May 28, 2022, 10:05 AM   #23
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by std7mag
With 243 Win & 100gr bullets, think slow!
As in burn rate.
Try RL26, IF you can find any!
RL26 is like magic fairy dust right now.

However, when I was shooting 100+ grain bullets in a 1:7 26" McGowen Savage .243 Win just about any "Magnum" rifle powder worked well. I got really close to 3300 fps with 105 grain Hornady A-Max and Berger VLD bullets with RL22 and Norma MRP. I didn't think I should be going that fast and settled on a load that averaged 3200 fps to give me some cushion, even though I didn't ever get pressure signs at my top load tried.