The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 15, 2014, 09:18 AM   #51
rkittine

This is also something that varies by county. I live in Manhattan and also in Suffolk, two of the most strict in some ways. To get a pistol permit you are not even required to take a firearms or handgun safety course, though in most counties you are. Technically you are not supposed to shoot someone else's handgun, but that is never enforced on the ranges. Borrowing is another story and if you lend a gun and that is used by the person you lent it too in a crime, guess who is also at fault.

When you walk into a licensed gun shop, you do not need anything to hold or look at a weapon except a valid drivers license, which us usually not asked for.

When I lived in Illinois, you could not touch a rifle, shotgun or pistol in a store without an Illinois Firearms ID card and that was back in the late 80s into the mid 90s.

In New York City you can borrow a Range Handgun at the local range (rent it actually) to shoot with.

One good thing about my New York Permits, I walked into the Sheriffs office in Pennsylvania, they made copies of my New York permits, did a fast background check and I walked out with a pistol permit. Can still buy long arms in PA with a New York drivers license too.

Bob
Old December 18, 2014, 10:08 AM   #52
db4570

Let me clarify a few things. (Erie County may have some differences from the rest of Upstate that I'm not aware of.)

1. You don't need any sort of permit for a long gun (except maybe for NYC. And there are new restrictions on many auto rifles, of course.) Some here have said you can't own any firearm here without a permit. Not true.

2. The new SAFE Act, as terrible as it is, regarding handguns mostly only affects high-capacity mags. So if you can get 10 round mags for your pistols, you are OK.

3. Not only does the permit take up to a year to approve, the harder part could be getting people to vouch for you. In my county you have to have known them for three years. In Erie County, you may not have to. But you still need 4 references that live in Erie County.

4. Without a permit, you can't have any sort of possession of a handgun. Period. Concealed, open, home defense, range use. Nothing.

Here's my advice, FWIW. I would hang on to what you have. Keep them with a relative out of state. Maybe you will make friends with someone in NY with a permit, and you could temporarily put the guns on his permit while you wait for yours to go through so you could at least go visit them once in a while. It would have to be a really good friend, though. And you'd have to leave your high-cap mags behind.

Here is a link to the permit application:

http://www2.erie.gov/clerk/sites/www...PP_%202012.pdf

Good luck! And welcome to NY. It's bad, but it does have its good points. Like, uh.... some of the scenery is very nice.

David