The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 16, 2015, 02:04 AM   #1
Deustheproducer

Found A Gun In My Grandfather's Things

My grandfather was a great man. He was a veteran in WWII and served in the navy. He passed away last year, and it's taken that long to sort through all of his belongings. One of the things I found was a gun.

First off, I'm 21. I don't know a lot about guns, but have been meaning to learn so I figured this was a great opportunity. On the side of the barrel it says

"Daewoo Precision Industries LTD."
"DP51 9mm Parabellum Made In Korea"

I don't really know anything about it. The magazine was empty, and in the same case was a good amount of assorted ammo. Anyway my question is... Can I keep it? I live in georgia currently, and will be moving soon with my brother once he gets out of boot camp to Virginia. Basically, I don't know anything about this kind of stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10917612_1534115173523938_1466599322_n.jpg (108.1 KB, 160 views)
Old January 16, 2015, 02:08 AM   #2
RodTheWrench

Take it home and enjoy it - great gun! Not from WWII as far as I know.
Old January 16, 2015, 02:45 AM   #3
JimDandy

Can you keep it? Who knows.

Generally speaking there's no prohibition against someone who is legally allowed to have a pistol (i.e. non-criminal, usually 21+ and more) from inheriting a pistol from a relative.

It was your grandfather so we might assume there's one more level of closer living relatives with a higher claim unless it was left to you specifically. Then there's your brother. And any other possible grandchildren.

Not knowing more even the lawyers who volunteer basic ballpark advice probably can't answer your question. When they get a specific "Can I do X" question posed to them, most often they reply with a version of:

Talk to a lawyer who is local to you and is well versed in firearms/local laws. For all we know Anytown, USA may have a law on the books that invalidates what is usually permissible in 99.99% of the rest of of the country.

I can even give you a for-instance. In my neck of the woods we just passed an incredibly stupid, vapid, poorly crafted monstrosity of an initiative that added or just repeated a section on transfers of firearms they euphemistically refer to as "by operation of law upon the death of the former owner of the firearm" and sends you down one of two different paths based on pistol vs non-pistol because of a state level pistol registry.

I don't know if Georgia has anything like that too. Free Advice on the internet is usually worth less than what you paid for it.

If I were you, I'd check with everybody else to make sure it's ok if you have it. That's your first hurdle. If Cousin Billy gets mad you've got it and didn't tell anyone, one theft report later it all gets REAL ugly. Having just lost a grandfather on one side, and a grandmother on the other, I'm absolutely amazed how ugly how fast this stuff can get.

I'd check with a local firearms and/or estate lawyer to find out if there are any legal hoops to jump through. If the lawyer bills you for an hour that's probably still less than the cost of the pistol, and a WHOLE lot less than any fines or other even harsher penalties.
Old January 16, 2015, 07:02 AM   #4
foxytwo

No problem keeping it in Georgia but I do not know the laws in Virginia. Go to handgunlaw.us to research Virginia's gun laws. That is a fine looking pistol.
Old January 16, 2015, 09:08 AM   #5
wogpotter

Check online for a users manual also. Good idea for a self admitted learner.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 16, 2015, 10:46 AM   #6
jmr40

The only issue in GA might be other relatives wanting the gun. If grandma or whoever is in charge of the estate says you can have it, it is yours. If other relatives claim grandpa told them they could have it when he passed they could muddy the waters and make things more complex than they need to be.

There is no problem "gifting" a gun to a GA resident who can legally own a gun here and there is no paperwork needed.
Old January 16, 2015, 12:10 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

In the absence of a clause in a will passing the gun to a named person, following probate, the gun is owned by the immediate heir now in possession of it, since a claim for the gun was not made during the probate process. Once probate is completed, the assets of the estate are distributed, and title vests with the heirs. That includes personal property. Unless there are multiple heirs clamoring for the same set of car keys or the antique teacups, requiring an executor to sell the property and divide the proceeds, ownership is a done deal here. Once the will is probated, it's over.

If you live with your parents, one of them is the heir, and it's up to them if he/she wants it or if you can keep it, or if it should be shared between you and your brother. Nieces and nephews, long lost relatives, have no claim, don't even ask them. It's a given that there is at least one cousin or whatever who will lie through their teeth about Granddad's pistol so they can take it to a pawn shop and fund their next party night.

Unless you find a receipt in the records, I would ask the Sheriff to run a check to see if somehow Granddad perhaps bought a stolen gun, other than that, nothing.

Enjoy it.
Old January 16, 2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Sharkbite

That pistol has a unique operating system. Get a manual and figure out how it works.
Old January 16, 2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Jim Watson

You are an adult in a free state. The only obstacle to you keeping the gun is what is said above about other heirs, whichever of your parents is his son or daughter being the main one. Don't be surprised if it starts a big argument, inheritances seem to bring out the worst in people. I mean Genghis Khan and Adolf Hitler grade dictatorial behavior.

One source lists the DP51 as being on the market from 1991-2009. There is a new importer bringing them in under a new brand name with a tackytickle searchlight rail and camo paint jobs. And higher price.
Old January 16, 2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

1. The OP needs to research the laws where the OP is located.

2. Family interactions - not our business.

3. So, contact a reputable source on #1

That's it before we start down the family trail of woe. Closed