The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Does a ported barrel shotgun help or not.
Yes it does help. 14 29.17%
No it does not help. 10 20.83%
Just a marketing ploy. 13 27.08%
Not sure. 11 22.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 25, 2010, 09:27 PM   #51
oneounceload

HEY!...wife and I only went through a 60# bushel sack over the weekend.....

Zippy - a lot of folks like having more than one hole in the barrel - I do not - I have never seen or experienced any appreciable benefit for the increase in noise.....but that's just THIS old Fudd's view......

YMMV.............
Old February 26, 2010, 12:54 AM   #52
noyes

If you look at someone while they are talking to you , does their voice sound as load as when they turn their back to you while still talking ?

The sound being projected out of a non-ported barrel is going away from you.

The sound being projected out of a ported barrel is going up ,back and forwards all around you.
Old February 26, 2010, 12:45 PM   #53
BigJimP

Come on OneOunce ....man up .... what's a little deafening noise among friends .... ( Huh .. ) .....

I don't see much noise difference between a ported and non-ported gun / when I'm standing an a Skeet or Sporting Clays squad / not even a Trap squad -- unless you are standing mid-way down the barrel right next to the shooter / or the shooter swings accross in front of you ....( neither of which is good )...with a ported or non-ported gun.

I won't stand on a Trap squad / next to a shooter shooting a barrel length of less than 26" ( because that is obnoxious ) - or in a duck blind ... but that is what "double ear plugs are for" - the molded ones inside / electronic ear muffs on the outside.... ( I don't know anything about Oysters ...)..
Old November 25, 2013, 11:23 AM   #54
Muncher

Old November 25, 2013, 12:18 PM   #55
BigD_in_FL

Yep, so? We see one form of gas on one end of the gun and another on the other end.......
Old November 25, 2013, 06:07 PM   #56
zippy13

Great pic, Muncher, thanks.
Old November 25, 2013, 06:13 PM   #57
pete2

I have a 20ga skeet that is ported. I can't tell that it does anything except it's impossible to clean the junk out of the ports. I won't buy a ported gun again. It does make the gun louder.
Old November 26, 2013, 01:23 PM   #58
BigJimP

go to a craft store ...and get some cotton pipe cleaners....it makes cleaning the ports a piece of cake....( and the pipe cleaners are cheap ).....the synthetic pipe cleaners don't work as well..( in my opinion ).

I just cut the pipe cleaners up into some 3" segments with a good pair of scissors ....and toss them in my cleaning box on my bench .../ even when they get a little crusty ...they work fine.
Old November 26, 2013, 05:39 PM   #59
BigD_in_FL

Or just spray those holes with brake cleaner and hit with a compressor or a can of computer air then spray with RemOil
Old November 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #60
JD0x0

Yes, properly made ports can help reduce muzzle lift. But why would someone want a ported barrel, when a removable compensator/muzzle brake is more versatile and more practical and would be equally, if not more effective, at reducing muzzle rise? Then there's the fact that ports will reduce weight, therefore increasing recoil. You also have to deal with cleaning the ports. Not to mention, a ported barrel will never be able to use a suppressor effectively. Personally, I'm not a fan, when there are good/better alternatives.

Just my 2 cents.
Old November 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #61
TheDutchman19

I have ports on my clay busting guns and dont on my upland guns. The only negative for me is the noise. At the range hearing protection is a must, so not a big deal. In the field we are a little more laxed (I know, bad habit). Last year took a ported gun hunting. Not good! I jacked up my left ear. It had never been a problem in the past, so what was the difference? Ported barrel. I like ports but not in the field.