The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 6, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
51_60_colt

Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870 express

Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870 Express....Any one better than the other? Also, opinions on 28 inch barrel vs 26 inch barrel? Thanks!
Old April 6, 2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

The 870 Express will be the better made pump by far.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:52 PM   #3
cryption

fork out for the 870 police magnum, I know a couple gunsmiths who won't work on an express
Old April 6, 2009, 09:59 PM   #4
51_60_colt

What makes the 870 better? And, why wont they work on the express, not high quality enough?
Old April 6, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

The 870 Express is made with some of the same parts as the 870 Wingmaster shotgun. Anyone who knows about pump shotguns can tell you that the 870 is the shotgun that all other pumps wished they could beat. No other pump shotgun will touch them.

Take apart a 870 shotgun, and then take apart a Moss 500 and you will see why the 870 is the better shotgun. They are just built better with better parts and a better design that will last a lifetime with normal use.

The Browning BPS pumps would be the closest competition. They are good pumps as well.

But the 870 is probably without question the best selling pump shotgun ever made.

I have owned 6 870's over the years.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6
51_60_colt

Thanks...my brother has a 500 moss. and my friend has an 870 so when I'm out their way I'll do some in depth lookin....I think I'll go with the 870 when it comes time though
Old April 6, 2009, 11:18 PM   #7
inSight-NEO

Quote:
The 870 Express will be the better made pump by far.
Not necessarily true by any means. Better finish? Maybe...Better reliability? Dubious at best (when comparing the 500/590 to the 870 Express anyway).

Sure, I might take a Remington 870 Police over a Mossberg 590-A1, for instance, but I certainly wouldnt complain owning the later. But, these two shotguns are not the main topic of this particular discussion. So, in terms of "commercial" grade shotguns, I just dont see the 870 Express as being any better than a Mossberg 500/590. At this point, it basically comes down to which gun "fits" the best and offers the most desirable features. Both will stand the test of time, but simply claiming that the Express "hung the moon," so to speak, is a bit premature IMHO.

Quote:
But the 870 is probably without question the best selling pump shotgun ever made.
This is true...But, best selling doesnt always mean its the best....as many Ford owners might tell you.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; April 7, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:21 PM   #8
sailskidrive

disagree...

I own several Mossbergs and several 870s.

12 ga Moss 590-A1 - new
12 ga Moss 500 c.1990
12 ga Sears Slugmaster (Mossberg 500) c.1975
20 ga Moss 500 c. 1985
12 ga Rem 870 c. 1975
28 ga Rem 870 Wingmaster - new

Both of the current production Mossbergs and Rem 870s are pretty crappy, with the worst by far being the Mossberg Maverick series and the Rem 870 Express. Plastic trigger housings, matte finish receivers, plastic safety buttons or slides. What the heck happened to American quality, they look more like imported Chinese crap.

I bought a 28 ga Rem 870 Wingmaster last year for the little lady to shoot. It's a beautiful gun, too bad I was paying more for a Wingmaster when it is basically just the same gun they used to manufacturer in the 70s as the normal 870.

Regarding build quality, the parkerized military issue Moss 590-A1 with the steel trigger group and heavy steel barrel is the best made in the group. I've personally carried this firearm overseas as a contractor and it stood up to abuse that no regular Moss 500 or Rem 870 could ever take.

~Sail
Old April 6, 2009, 11:25 PM   #9
the rifleer

Remingtons Quality has gone down in the last few years. If you bought a 870 that is 10+ years old, the it is a good shotgun. If its new go with the mossberg.

I have a mossberg 500c and its works great. it has a 10 year warranty and i think it a great gun. Go with the mossberg.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:28 PM   #10
inSight-NEO

Quote:
Regarding build quality, the Moss 590-A1 with the steel trigger group and heavy steel barrel is the best made in the group.
I have the "standard" 590 (8+1) myself; while not an A1, I like it. Now, I have added a metal safety and will soon be adding a heavy-walled barrel. So, other than the metal trigger assembly/guard, it will basically be an A1. The metal trigger stuff will be put on hold until its actually needed.

Regardless, the Mossberg is a quality weapon and does whats expected of it. Sure, its no Benelli SNT (I have one of those myself and personally consider it the best in quality when considering "commercial" grade shotguns), but parts are plentiful and inexpensive. While the Mossberg is somewhat lacking in "beauty and finish," it makes up for it when it comes to durability, ease of use and reliability.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; April 7, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:44 PM   #11
coldshot

I've never shot a Mossberg, I hear that they are not well made, but that is a questionable statement, & I can't go on what somebody else say's. One of my friends has been shooting an 870 since the early sixties, & I shoot my dads M37 Featherlite that is about the same vintage. Pump guns are tough regardless of manufacturer, I have a winchester 1300, and the M37, I love them both for their simplicity, ease of cleaning and they always work. I have come close to buying a Mossberg 500 a few times but I already have two pump guns, that is the only reason that I didn't buy one. I also really like the BPS hunter in 12 gauge, Might be the smoothest pump action that I have ever handled. Buy what you like and enjoy it. As far as barrel length goes I'm no expert but I like a 26" for Skeet, & upland, a 28" for trap & water fowl. The receiver on a slide action is longer than an O/U or a single shot, so a 26 inch pumpgun compares to a 28 inch O/U or single shot. Buy what fits you And feels good in your hands.
Old April 6, 2009, 11:51 PM   #12
MagicMan

I've had both. My 870 feels like it's made better & more solid than the 500. I'd buy another 500. You can't go wrong w/either.
Old April 7, 2009, 04:10 AM   #13
tazz7002

both good guns i have a 10 yr 870,take 870 ,thats why police use them
Old April 7, 2009, 06:39 AM   #14
spikespeigel

I've never had any problems with any of my four 870's... But it will have alot to do with how you take care of it...
Old April 7, 2009, 07:41 AM   #15
Doyle

Quote:
No other pump shotgun will touch them.
Yea, right. Apparantly you have no knowledge of Benelli Nova's or Browning BPS's. Either beats an 870 Express or Mossberg.
Old April 7, 2009, 08:20 AM   #16
Chuckusaret

Mossberg or Remington? Both are good guns based on their price but not as good as my Browning B25. I have both the 500 and 870 and the Mossberg goes bang every time, thats more than I can say about the 870 that has had a FTF problem since the day I bought it. Everyone keeps telling me to put some rounds thru it to break it in. BS, I have at least 500 rounds thru it and no change. Get the Mossberg.
Old April 7, 2009, 08:57 AM   #17
MagnumWill

All right, i've got to throw my .02 in. I own a Mossberg 590, and a buddy of mine owns an 870 express (With all the ATI crap bolted to it) and I think they are PRACTICALLY EQUAL!! I chose the mossberg when I bought one. Why? because i feel that I got the same amount of quality (even though I can't do barrel swap with a 590, but I don't bird hunt) for about a hundred bucks less. Do I think the fit n' finish of the 870 is great? Completely. DO I think the mossberg is equal to it? Yes. Plus, the mag release is in a WAY better position on the Mossbergs, and I think the safety setup is better, too. You can use the Knoxx stocks without any adverse effects if you've got an oversize safety on your 870. But hey; they are both GREAT GUNS, and they serve their purpose.

I'm not sure if I like these threads, since people pit one thing against another that really may not be relevant. I mean hell, for all we know there could be a Maverick 88 somewhere that can survive more punishment than some 590A1 somewhere else! I bought a Chevy Blazer new, and the car needed about a $1500 infusion every year to keep it out of the scrap yard. My wife owns the same truck, same year (From GMC) And it's never needed more than general maintenance. The same goes with guns. I'm not saying that your Howa .308's got nothing on my Mosin Nagant M44, I figure that if we tend to use guns that are M&P worthy- we'll be alright, they're gonna serve their purpose.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Housezealot

wow this seems to be the question of the day in the forums, I have owned both and thought they were both great, I got rid of the 870 and kept the mossberg becuse I shoot left handed and the safety is better for me. to the guys that say mossbergs are not built well I have to disagree, I know people have brand loyalties but I love my 500 just as much as my old 870 (still kind of prefer my old winchester 1897, but hey I think thats cause it was my first shotgun)
Old April 7, 2009, 02:05 PM   #19
colostomyclown

A good Mossberg well-maintained will last forever. Same with Remington. they're both great guns. But to a mall ninja, reputation is everything.

Learn how a gun works and operates from top to bottom and then use your best judgement. I don;t care if you have a Benelli autoloading combat shotgun and I have a single shot new england 20 gauge....whoever has better control and knowledge over their weapon will probably be the better man for it.
Old April 7, 2009, 02:33 PM   #20
TxGun

As practically everyone else has said, they are both solid and reliable shotguns. I have a decided preference for the 870, but only the older Wingmasters. To me the 500 vs. the Express question is a complete toss-up.

Oh yeah, to answer the second part of your question, I prefer a 24-26" bbl. with a choke system for hunting. I don't feel the 28" bbl. offers any advantage...and it is a bit less handy. But that's just me. Some feel the 28" bbl. swings better for them.

Last edited by TxGun; April 7, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old April 7, 2009, 03:45 PM   #21
TMackey

Here is my 870 bought about 3 years ago.

The rag on the left is from 2 wipedowns 4 weeks apart. The rag on the right is 3 weeks since the last wipedown.

I used to own a 500 and now own an 870. I won't be buying anymore new Remingtons. My 870 is a rust magnet and jams on occasion. The 500 I had never rusted and only jammed once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (253.4 KB, 492 views)
Old April 7, 2009, 05:01 PM   #22
recoilguy

I am 50 years old. I have a Mossberg I bought in 1973 with washing dishes money. It has killed more Ducks and pheasants then most guys entire arsinal will ever hope to kill. It has also missed a few birds in its day. I have cared for it and kept it clean and well oiled. It still works and I hunt with it a couple times a year still. It is a little loose isn the skide now but it ejects every shell I shot and has not misfired ever. I have never owned an 870 but have hunted with many 870's and their owners. A nice gun too.

I can't talk to Mossbergs now aday but I love the one I have. I paid $110 bucks for it in 1973 I had to save for 3 months to get it. One day my son will say this old thing was my dads.

RCG
Old April 7, 2009, 05:19 PM   #23
scorpion_tyr

The Remington is better choice by far... if you have the same brain I do. If not then either one is fine. I consider them to both be equal with the only differences being the safety and slide release. I prefer the way the Remington is set up. Many prefer the Mossberg.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:21 PM   #24
87mustang

remington shotguns are for shooting things, mossberg shotguns are used to shoot things and pound nails, but do neither very well.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:29 PM   #25
bwheasler

Dads' 870

I'm still using my Dads 870 with was made in the early 60's My nephew calls it Lucky, which is true because he kills something every time he uses it. If you are leary of a new Express, there are plenty of vintage 870's out there. You will not be sorry. I love mine so well I'm taking ti to Africa in May to hunt warthog and kudu, that is how confident I am about mine.