The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Slasher42

New Haven by Mossberg 600AT

I kind of bought one of these New Haven by Mossberg 600AT 12ga shotguns off gunbroker by accident.... Shouldn't bid on stuff when your sleep deprived.

Got it for about $80+shipping... The seller says the wood is in decent shape maybe 85-90% and the blueing is about 70%. I haven't received the gun yet so don't know for sure.

Does anyone know how I can find out when the gun was manufactured? The serial is G893XXX

I've read this is basically a clone of the Moss 500A... Anyone confirm this?

What would the cost be to have the gun refinished, and can anyone suggest a good place to buy replacement stock/fore-end I don't really like the one it comes with. Or should I just re-sell it and buy something else instead of trying to spruce this one up?

THANKS
Old February 8, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

Hey, $100 shotguns are $100 shotguns. No need to get all crazy over them. Clean it up, and use it as is- the heck with refinishing anything- silk purses, sow's ears. No need to spend more money on it IMHO, but elbow grease, a little 0000 steel wool and light oil (if there is any rust to get off), hot water, some Simple Green, some Johnson's paste wax, a cleaning kit etc. are all things any self respecting shotgun owner ought to have on hand anyway.

Just field strip it, clean it up, lube it properly, and shoot it a bit to see how you like it. Then make a decision what to do with it.

lpl (Who just got done de-gunking the most gunked up $100 High Standard Flite King in the country. But had the gun been nice and clean and slick pumping to start with, it woulda cost a lot more than $100 at the pawn shop. I win!!)
Old February 8, 2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Rmart30

The 600 is identical in every way ive found to a 500.... it takes all the barrels, stocks, etc as the 500 does. Put them side by side and you wont know the difference.
Ive got one from the 70's with 1000's of rds thru it that hasnt had a single problem. Shoot it and enjoy it.

Replacements stocks are all over ebay or midway USA carries them.

Last edited by Rmart30; February 9, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old April 16, 2009, 09:54 PM   #4
MikeS.

I was doing a Google search on the 600 and found this thread. I bought a 600 and am trying to replace the wood forend with a synthetic one.

I'm having trouble getting the slide bars out of the receiver. I've been watching a good disassembly video and it shows the slide bars just sliding out of the receiver. Any suggestions for the 600? I'm giving it a good cleaning while I have it apart.
Old April 11, 2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Seanzig

Mossberg 600 AT

The thing about Mossberg 600's is they were almost a carbon copy of the 500a, however it was a brand that Mossberg sold to Montgomery Ward's. Hence the New Haven. Nothing more, nothing less. At the very least you have a good shotgun, with many parts available for cheap. I just bought one today for $60 at a garage sale. It was gunked to hell, but not anything more than a bottle of Hoppes 9 could handle. "But had the gun been nice and clean and slick pumping to start with, it woulda cost a lot more than $100 at the pawn shop. I win!!)" That's right!
Lorcin .25auto Chrome/Pink (Haha)
Old April 11, 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Borch

I've killed many a deer with the 600AT I inherited from my Dad. He passed it down to me when I was 12 after he bought himself a Remington 1187. I'm now 31 and have bought an Ultra Slug Hunter but I used that old 600AT right up until last year. I only did 3 things to that gun in the near 20 years I killed deer with it. First I bought a sling, then a couple years later I bought a rifled, ported slug barrel and finally about 7 years ago I bought a red dot for it. That's it.
Old April 11, 2010, 07:22 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You have removed the bolt and bolt slide? Once they are out of the way, the action bars may need a little jiggling and such but should slide out...
Brent