The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 28, 2024, 02:37 AM   #1
treefarmernc

Bear Creek AR10 Upper Compatibility

Anyone have experience with mating Bear Creek AR 10 uppers with other brand lowers? Web sight says this upper is compatible with a 1st gen DPMS low profile AR10 lower assembly. So far I've read that Aero Precision will work and PSA does not without alterations. I'm interested in their 22-250 upper and just want to know all my options.
Old February 28, 2024, 04:51 AM   #2
stagpanther

Looks like you can get the whole rifle for around $600--that's the route I'd go if I was interested in it--which I'm not. The semi-auto need must be pretty compelling to tie me to a one-source custom magazine and a case design that is likely going to be "touchy" in an AR IMO. Lastly, the 1:14 twist is going to limit my bullet weight selection and tie me to more or the same ammunition that common 22-250 bolt rifles are made for, so again I'm left scratching my head wondering what it brings to the table other than the novelty of an old rimmed cartridge out of a semi-auto. But you'll also likely be the only one around with one--so there is a cool factor--I've bought my share of impractical designs.
Old February 28, 2024, 06:08 PM   #3
tangolima

I have a BCA complete upper in .243 win on a PSA lower. It works ok. The fit is usual with gaps matching expected tolerance. I glass bedded the upper on to the lower with epoxy putty, which is my standard practice. Now they fit snug and tight.

Rifle shoots about 1moa. Should have gotten the heavy 20" barrel, instead of the 24" light weight barrel.

BCA's products are pretty good and very affordable. Certain areas definitely need improvement, the over sized firing pin hole in the bolt being one. I quite like the side charger.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 28, 2024, 08:20 PM   #4
Txhillbilly

I've got one of their 308 uppers. The fit is good on my DPMS LR lower.
Accuracy? Shoots like a cheap azz complete upper usually does, Like crap. I'll probably just throw the barrel in the trash, and put a real barrel on it.

Not bashing BCA, but I never expected an under $400 complete upper to actually shoot good. Quality barrel's cost more than they ask for their upper's.
Old February 28, 2024, 08:48 PM   #5
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Accuracy? Shoots like a cheap azz complete upper usually does, Like crap. I'll probably just throw the barrel in the trash, and put a real barrel on it.

Not bashing BCA, but I never expected an under $400 complete upper to actually shoot good. Quality barrel's cost more than they ask for their upper's.
Please let me know when you are ready to throw away the barrel. I will take it from you. Thanks in advance.

-TL

Old February 29, 2024, 06:20 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Please let me know when you are ready to throw away the barrel. I will take it from you. Thanks in advance.

-TL

I can beat that--if you pay me $10.00 I'll take it.
Old March 2, 2024, 06:23 PM   #7
44caliberkid

I agree with Stag on a couple points here. 1. Buy the complete rifle from them, if it doesn’t work, “touchy round in an AR”, you can send it back to them to make it function, rather than spend your own time and money trying to diagnose/ fix it yourself.
2. A 1 in 14” twist is ridiculous in this day and age of long, heavy bullets with a high BC. It should be a 1 in 9”. You are pretty limited to 50 - 55 grain bullets.