The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2010, 08:55 PM   #1
HighBoard

270 Dies

I know this info has been posted before, but it is still fuzzy to me, since I am fairly new to reloads.

My Equip:
RCBS Single stage press
lee shell holder kit - assorted sizes

would like to reload 270 Win.
what die should I use for this?
looking at the Lee pacesetter, deluxe & collet
I have no idea why there are different types.
I have RCBS dies but would like to try the lee since I heard good things about them.

I will be reloading once fired & the bulk remington/winch. 100 packs of brass.
mostly plinking targets, melons, anything else.
not looking for extremley fined tune loads (1/2 grain here, 1/4 grain there, fps, etc) - I just want to load my own & target shoot.
Old March 30, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
cornbush

I personally like Reddng, RCBS, and Lyman dies, any good two die set should get you started no problem. All you need is the sizing/decapping die and the seating die.
Old March 30, 2010, 09:02 PM   #3
HighBoard

I read some do FL size & others neck size.
I have the RCBS dies in 204, they are a 2 die set.
so should I just get the same RCBS dies in 270 & not worry about the FL/neck only sizing?
Old March 30, 2010, 09:07 PM   #4
cornbush

I full length size.
I would get the full length, and if you want to neck size only you can get just neck sizing die.
If you're out hunting and your gun or ammo gets dirty or its once fired brass from another gun neck sizing only can cause chambering problems.
Old March 30, 2010, 09:15 PM   #5
HighBoard

most likely it will be once fired from 1 gun, but never know, i may come across brass here & there.

will go for the FL size.

thanks for your help!
Old March 30, 2010, 09:20 PM   #6
William T. Watts

270 Dies

I agree with Cornbush, at one time or another I've used most of the major brands of dies including Lee. I prefer RCBS, Redding, Lyman in this order. I've tried Lee but they are made of softer steel and not as durable and scratch easily. I do prefer the Full length sizing type die and would not recommend them to some who is new to loading their own. Most of the rifles I've owned in my life delivered better accuracy with full length sizing. In my opinion unless you have a match chamber there is no advantage to neck sizing, usually after five firings the primer pockets loosen up and the brass needs to be recycled anyway. IMO William
Old March 30, 2010, 09:45 PM   #7
DavidAGO

I use the Lee Deluxe die set, FL and collet dies. If it is brass shot in my rifle, I neck size, if it is range brass, I FL size. I use a mix of RCBS and Lee dies, can't tell any difference between the finished product. I do know I like the prices on Lee's products better than RCBS's.

David AGO
Old March 30, 2010, 11:06 PM   #8
mrawesome22

Quote:
I have RCBS dies but would like to try the lee since I heard good things about them
That would be a waste of money.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Pongo

Quote:
Quote:
I have RCBS dies but would like to try the lee since I heard good things about them
That would be a waste of money.
Not in his case. He has RCBS dies for a different cartridge.

HighBoard. Take a look at Hornady dies. I've found them to be very acceptable.

I have RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Lee dies. They are all good but my preferance is for the Hornady dies.
Old March 31, 2010, 11:23 AM   #10
GeauxTide

+1 Pongo

I stuck a case for the first time in my 40 year old Lyman 7mmRM dies a couple of months ago. Instead of buying a $15 case remover or shipping to Lyman, I bought a $30 set of Hornady Precision dies. I have been extremely impressed and consider the quality as good as my RCBS dies in three other calibers.
Old March 31, 2010, 09:12 PM   #11
BigJakeJ1s

For full length resizing, any brand does an acceptable job. I like Forster and Hornady.

If you want to neck size, get a Lee collet die and learn to use it.

For seating dies, I really like Forster benchrest dies, but they only make rifle dies. For pistol, I prefer Hornady seating dies. Both have sliding alignment sleeves for better bullet alignment, but the Forster engages more than just the case neck for alignment

If you need to crimp, the Lee collet FCD for rifle cartridges is great.

No matter who made the die, mine wear Hornady, Forster, or the original RCBS cross-bolt lock rings. Lyman also sells a cross-bolt lock ring, but does not include it with their dies, and I have not tried it. Sinclair now also makes a cross-bolt lock ring, but it is pricey, and probably not any better. The cross-bolt design locks the ring squarely and securely in place on the die, without any chance of marring the die threads.

Andy
Old March 31, 2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Brandy

Lee dies work great. Get the Collet and Crimp die as well. They really do improve accuracy.
Brand new Marlin XLC 5 shot group.

Old April 1, 2010, 12:15 AM   #13
Dr. Strangelove

The first thing that you are going to learn is that there are many different opinions about dies, particularly Lee dies.

I have loaded .270 Win since 1988 with the same Lee 2 die set. I have other brands of dies for other calibers, and I really can't tell a difference in the end product.

Spend what you feel comfortable with spending, but don't overspend for what you need. I agree that there are dies sets out there that are more specialized than the Lee products, but I don't need them for the way I shoot.

Visit the Lee site, it will educate you about the differences in the sets that you mentioned in the original post.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/index.html

I like the Lee products, they are low cost and do what they advertise. You may need other products down the line, but for most folks, they are great and all you need.
Old April 2, 2010, 12:30 PM   #14
hivel37

Lyman Precision Alignment are the dies I've used on 270 in the past. (sold the gun)

If you want to neck size just back off the FL die until just 2/3's of the neck is sized.

Since I've used Lee's collet dies on other cals, I'm sure they'd work also.
Old April 2, 2010, 01:51 PM   #15
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

HighBoard,

If you have RCBS 270 dies in good condition, you have no, I repeat NO!!!!!!!!!!!! need to buy any other die set!

As per sizing, if you follow the directions packed with "full length" dies, you will very likely soon, begin to have case failures.

The reason, manufacturing tolerences.

If this was a perfect world, and all things were exactly as shown in the drawings, this would not be a potential issue.

However, say your rifle is on the large side of those tolerences, and your sizing dies are on the small side, you will very and I mean VERY QUICKLY!! over work your brass.

For that reason, I never set a "full length" die down to touch the shell holder or as in some directions far enough down to allow the press to cam over center at the top of the sizing stroke, except as noted below.

I set a new "full Length" sizing die down to within 1/8th" +/- of the shell holder, size a few cases and check to see in the case chambers without resistance.

NOTE, FOR CASES FIRED IN OTHER CHAMBERS OR "PICK UP RANGE BRASS" THE CASES WILL VERY LIKELY NEED TO BE SIZED WITH THE DIE DOWN TO THE SHELL HOLDER BEFORE CHAMBERING IN YOUR GUN!!

Excluding the situation noted above, if your cases chamber without problems, go ahead and complete the reloading process.

After these cases have been fired in YOUR chamber a few times, you may note some resistance or tightness when you chamber the sized brass.

IF this happens, tweak the sizing die down just enough to again have easy chambering. Over time, you may need to again tweak the die down just a touch, but you will arrive at a place of optimum sizing for your rifle/die combination and with it optimum case life.

If you introduce variables like another gun's chamber, it is very possible that brass which is a perfect fit in one gun will not be optimum in the other.

That doesn't make one or the other bad, as they will both most likely fall within manufacturing tolerences.

Also, for consistancy and safety, keep your brass separated as per brand, lot # and number of times fired.

It is best to buy a few hundred new cases for a rifle you plan to keep and use other brass scrounged or found for "banger loads". This includes the boxes of off the shelf ammo bought here and there over time, especially ammo of different brands.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 2, 2010, 04:01 PM   #16
Pongo

Post #3 in this thread HighBoard states:
Quote:
I read some do FL size & others neck size.
I have the RCBS dies in 204, they are a 2 die set.
so should I just get the same RCBS dies in 270 & not worry about the FL/neck only sizing?
Yes he does need dies for .270.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:08 PM   #17
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Sorry, He stated in post #1 that he DOES have dies and all indications are that they are for 270.

So if what he states is correct, there is no need to buy another set.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 2, 2010, 04:58 PM   #18
David Wile

Hey Highboard,

You need a good reloading manual, and I would highly recommend the latest Lyman manual as the best "first" manual for new loaders. I would also suggest you find someone near you who might help you get started in reloading - it would help you quite a bit. I see you are located in Florida. My wife and I are in Avon Park, FL for the next few weeks, and if you are nearby, I would be glad to give you a hand.

If you want to load for a .270 rifle and you already have a set of RCBS dies for .270, you certainly do not need to buy any more .270 dies. I cannot imagine why you would want to buy a Lee die set if you already have an RCBS 2-die set. There is absolutely no need for a Lee Factory Crimp Die - none. From what you said about have a shell holder kit, it would seem you are in good shape there.

You really need a manual, and a local mentor would be a great help to you.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old April 2, 2010, 06:11 PM   #19
Red_Eagle

The 270 Win Pace setter dies were my 1st die set. I picked up an RCBS neck sizer die later. I still use the Lee full length die on all my range pick-up and on about every 3rd reloading. I reload for an Encore and it doesn't like over size brass. Although it's never been a problem in 270. In 308, 22-250, and 243 I have had some case expansion issues.
My Calibers: 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 22-250, 243 Win, 270 Win, 280 Remington Ackley Improved, 30-30, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Winchester magnum, 7.62x39mm, 380 Auto, 9mm Parabellum, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 GAP, 45 Auto, 12 & 20 Guage
Old April 5, 2010, 09:17 PM   #20
HighBoard

i should have clarified.

I have an RCBS die in 204 & Lee in 9mm (loading those kinda scary, have not tried yet)
I "did" not have a 270 die.

since my post I did get the RCBS 270win die
100 bag of brass
100 90gr HP bullets - sierra i think.

I have not reloaded the 270 yet but plan on using the new brass w/ H4895 & large CCI rifle primers
also bought a box of factory hornady 130gr ammo that I plan to reload after shooting.
i also have the speer manual (14th) that came w/ the RCBS kit.

It would be nice to have a mentor, but i usually shoot at a buddy's 3000 acre pasture nearby & never get to a real range.
mostly just target/plinking shooting, cans, rocks, paper, etc..

(I'm about 40 mins due north of avon park)
Old April 6, 2010, 10:18 AM   #21
David Wile

Hey Highboard,

I am a "snowbird" down from Pennsylvania and staying in Avon Park. I see from your last post that we are actually pretty close here in Florida, but my wife and I will be heading back home in a week or so. I would have liked meeting you and helping you get a start on the reloading path.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old April 6, 2010, 09:06 PM   #22
HighBoard

David,
I will be in Sebring thursday, driving right thru avon park.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:37 PM   #23
David Wile

Hey Highboard,

Sending you a PM.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile