The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2011, 10:06 AM   #1
jonathan.land

44 mag reloading

anyone have info on the 200 gr rainer JHP bullets and how do they perform? i am currently using 240 gr speer JHP or 200 gr nosler JHP with hi-skor 800-x and have good results. but have noticed the rainer bullets are a lot less expensive.....just wondering if it is worth purchasing the lower priced bullets. thanks
Old May 5, 2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Sevens

In something like .44 Magnum, with a light-for-caliber bullet, I don't think it's a good idea. Most plated bullet manufacturers recommend that you don't push their bullets to magnum velocities and when pressed, they typically give up "1,200 fps" as a guideline to stay under.

Normal bullet weight for .44 Magnum is 240 grains... so if you load a 200 grain bullet (totally fine to do that), you must expect that it's going to go even faster than the normal-for-caliber weight bullet.

I use a lot of plated bullets in many calibers. I love them. I use Berry's far more than anyone else's, but I've used both Frontier and Ranier and I prefer Berry's over either.

I would not even attempt to load Ranier bullets in 200 grain weight in .44 Magnum. Perhaps other folks have done it with decent results... it's not something I would try or recommend.

.44 Special, that would sound better.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:16 AM   #3
grubbylabs

Are you looking to stay with a premium bullet or are you wanting something to plink with?

I also like the Speer JSP, but I am not sure how they compare to what you are shooting now for price.

Also I like a LSW over 5-7 grains of Unique for a good plinking load. I have a Smith 329 PD which is a Scandium framed revolver and they are quite pleasant to shoot in that gun.

So if you are just looking for a plinking round look for lead.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old May 6, 2011, 05:41 PM   #4
bluetopper

No real NEED to shoot anything else other than a good quality good fitting hard cast lead bullets in 44 Magnum..........other than if you just prefer jacketed.

98% of my 44 shooting is with cast lead bullets in barrel lengths of 3,6, & 10 inches.

I also shoot full house loads of Rainier bullets in a 500 S&W Magnum rifle at much much higher velocities than a 44 Mag with good results if that can answer part of your question.

Last edited by bluetopper; May 6, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:54 PM   #5
BigJimP

I tried a couple different weights of Rainier bullets in .44 mag ....and they kept fragmenting / the jackets cracked and peeled off - because they're so thin. I don't recommend them in any of the magnum calibers. They're electro plated bullets - they aren't jacketed.

I think Rainier bullets are fine for range plinking in 9mm or .45 acp ...but they're getting pretty expensive / especially if you keep the velocity down are "lead" bullet limits.

Montana Gold bullets - are cheaper if you buy them in case lots than Rainier Ballistics is for me ... and Montana Gold pays the freight. Montana Gold is a true jacketed bullet ...and a much higher quality product/and more consistent in terms of their weight variations - than any plated bullet.

Check the price on Montana Gold bullets ....but if you don't like that option look at Berry's plated bullets. Berry's plates their bullets with a much thicker and more consistent plating than Rainier gets on theirs. I've used Berry's in .357 mag with no issues / but I have not tried them in a .44 mag ...( keep them under 1,200 fps though )....per the recommendation on their website.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c16-44_Cal_.429.aspx

Here is a link to Montana Gold ...

https://secure.mooseweb.com/montanag.../pricelist.tpl
Old May 7, 2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Hanzerik

I have loaded the 200gr Hornady XTPs over a healthy charge of 2400 which the Hornady manual says they should be zipping along at over 1700fps out of a rifle. Lets just say they don't hold up well when they hit something, they should work great on an animal like a Coyote or a person, but hey pretty much blowup when hitting something hard.

Now cast 200gr bullets hold up a lot better then the XTP-HPs.

All I shoot now are 265gr RNFP Cast bullets out of all of my .44 Mags.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:26 PM   #7
joneb

If you apply a firm roll crimp on plated bullets that cuts the thin copper plating you will have trouble at below recommended velocities. I taper crimp plated bullets for revolver and rely on adequate neck tension to prevent bullet jump.
If you are looking for a reduced magnum load then plated bullets are a good option, but you will need to fuss with them to find their limits.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Jonathan.land:

I have loaded thousands of 215 gr. lead swc .429 bullets in my M-29 Smith because they were eaiser on the lead supply. I found the the 215 bullets good for fifty yards targets and the 240 gr. swc more accurate at 100 yaards. I loaded with both Unique and 2400.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old May 9, 2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Rifleman1776

Clifford Hughes beat me to it.
His experience is very similar to mine.
I have shot thousands of 215 gr. hard cast SWCs for target use and also 245s.
The lead bullets are much less expensive than any jacketed. As someone else suggested, your intended use will dictate. I understand cost of trying something but, really, that is part of the process/fun/and learning curve with reloading. We all have stacks of unused components on our shelves.
BTW, I loaded the hard cast at all velocities, including max for hunting and never had a leading problem.
My banger is a Ruger Redhawk, 7 1/2" barrel.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:32 PM   #10
grubbylabs

PHP Code:
All I shoot now are 265gr RNFP Cast bullets out of all of my .44 Mags
Is that an Ranch Dog Mold you are casting from?

I just acquired a two cavity mold for that bullet. I shoot it in my 444 and my 329 PD, I am still developing the load for my Win 94 but the 329 stacks them right in there with some W296 I can't wait to test it on deer or bear. Might even take it elk hunting this year.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)