The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 13, 2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Prof Young

Shout out to your favorite gun store!

One of my favorites is Trojan Arms in Troy IL. Seriously gracious and nice proprietors. Good selection and good prices. Gun smithing services. Anytime I'm in the neighborhood I stop in and take a look at what's on the rack and in the case. This is "Mom and Pop" GS at it's best.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 13, 2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Eazyeach

Shout out to Olde English gun shop in Tipp City, Ohio. Good people. Good selection. Good prices on most items. Oeoutfitters.com.
Old June 13, 2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Chris_B

Four Seasons, Woburn MA

Last time I was there, after I made my purchase and the shop was closing, I stayed a half hour just swapping jokes with the staff.

They have held stuff for me, never complained about odd stuff, long as its legit they work with you.
Old June 14, 2017, 05:59 AM   #4
TJB101

Tanners in PA. Their prices often beat online prices. Owner will bring in 50, 100 guns and they'll be gone in a couple of weeks. Check 'em out on Facebook.
Old June 14, 2017, 06:52 AM   #5
Targa

Right to bear arms in Haubstadt, In and Meeks guns in Fort Branch, In. Good people and their prices are also on par with internet sales. They have good selections and all of their long guns are accessible to the customer to handle without having to have an employee pull them out for you. If they do not have something you want they are more than accomodating with transfers from internet gun sales with a very reasonable transfer fee.
Yep, thats about as good as it gets in my book.
Old June 15, 2017, 01:04 AM   #6
kmw1954

HP Shooting Center McHenry Il., just recently under new owner and haven't had a chance to get there yet because of a heart surgery. Fear was that they were going to close and the range would have been lost.
Old June 15, 2017, 09:36 AM   #7
jonnyc

Howdy to my Peeps at Hudson's Outfitters, Pottstown, PA!
Old June 15, 2017, 03:39 PM   #8
MotorCycleDave

I'm pretty new to the firearm experience but I really enjoy LAX Ammo in Inglewood, CA.
They just opened up a second location in San Diego if anyone's down in that area! ( I think they only sell ammunition though. /: )
Old June 17, 2017, 01:42 AM   #9
Itsa Bughunt

The Firing Line in Aurora, CO. Friendly, no "attitude". I've taken both my CCW classes there as well.
Old June 17, 2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Ricekila

The best out here

THE CAMP-SITE SPORT SHOP
1877 New York Ave. (Route 110)
Corner of W. 16th St.
Huntington Station, NY 11746

Sean & his crew are the best -- always helpful -- they know what they're doing -- always donate a few firearms for our "Firearms Civil Rights Conference"

On the other hand --

Hunter Sports in Massapequa -- just plain sucks -- "."

They are shoe salesmen -- meaning thats what they might as well be selling

Go in there with a question - unless theres a fist full of dollars waving in they're faces -- they couldn't care less

Μολών Λaβέ
Old June 17, 2017, 10:55 AM   #11
McShooty

Bullet Stop Gun Shop in Hartford, Missouri (9 mi east of Unionville on MO 136). Family business owned by Jim and Doreen Madison. New and used guns of all types. Sells lots of Henrys and Rugers. Has good relationship with Anthony Imperato of Henry. Fair prices and will listen to offers on used guns. Gives back to the community with special sales and activities several times a year.
Old June 17, 2017, 11:17 AM   #12
BarryLee

I seem to shop at a store for a few years and then have a bad experience and move on. Maybe I’m too “sensitive” or just expect too much from businesses that often employee family and friends, but I guess that’s another thread.

I’ve generally had good experiences with Clyde Armory in Athens GA. They have always been friendly, profession, maintain a decent selection, have competitive prices and the building has a turret.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 18, 2017, 03:49 AM   #13
armoredman

On Sight Shooting in Casa Grande, Arizona, clean and bright little store with big ambitions, knowledgeable staff and a funny owner.
Old June 23, 2017, 07:11 AM   #14
cecILL

Check out Hick's in Pincknyville.
Old June 23, 2017, 07:25 AM   #15
g.willikers

Hate to complain, but I rarely run across gun stores to brag about.
Maybe too many store owners and staff try to turn their hobby into a business without the know how.
Knowing something and trying to do a business about it are vastly different.
Old June 23, 2017, 07:51 AM   #16
JimPage

Frank's Shooting Supply in Canastota, NY. Great service, knowledgeable owner and good inventory. What I really like about Frank is that he is not in business just to sell stuff. He actually helps novice buyers and promotes what would be reasonable for that customer and never tries to sell novices on something they won't be able to handle.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old June 23, 2017, 08:09 AM   #17
g.willikers

^^^^
That's good to hear.
A place that sells what's best for the customer rather than what's best for the store.
Old June 23, 2017, 03:42 PM   #18
Nine the Ranger

Great Guns in Palatka, Florida, friendly people and a great selection while being happy to order for you. Great prices and the owner threw in free cases for a few new guns I bought.

Lawful Defense in Alachua, Florida. Not quite as good as Great Guns but still friendly and patient people who are knowledgeable and happy to show you gun after gun. They also fo gunsmithing and custom coatings on guns.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:41 AM   #19
osbornk

My gun shop loyalty pretty much follows my gas station loyalty. If they have what I want and they have the cheapest price, they get my business. I bought my first gun from Cabelas yesterday only because they had what I wanted at the best price. It took them longer to do the paperwork than any other place I have ever bought a gun.
Old June 24, 2017, 06:18 PM   #20
fastlane

Olde English gun shop in Tipp City and Miami Armory in Miamisburg. Both are great stores to bo business with. I have purchased firearms from both of them.
Old June 24, 2017, 06:30 PM   #21
stangbangr

Here in Lexington KY I have Nine LGS's to choose from. Believe it or not I like Bud's the best. No you're not gonna be recognized as a good customer because you've spent a few thousand dollars, the place is pretty busy.
The small shops around here are all filled with snobby employees who would rather not get of their asses or even pretend to want your business to make a sale.
Buds is a big, busy store, but with the CS of a mom and pop store. I guess it's in the employees' training. They're always willing to help and usually with a genuine smile.
Also I love the reactive steel range. I belong to a large (1,500 acre) Sportsmen's club here and can do about any type of shooting, but sometimes I'll go to Buds to knock em down.
Old June 24, 2017, 08:46 PM   #22
mikejonestkd

I am really fortunate to have two great shops near me.

Dennis at Burnt Mill Smithing in Churchville, NY is a great smith, and he can get me just about any specific collectable firearm if I am patient and give him time to find it. Prices are good, his work is simply outstanding, and he is a great person to work with.

Beikirchs in East Rochester, NY is easily the largest shop in our area and their staff are friendly, competent, and willing to go the extra mile to make a sale. They have a great selection, decent prices, and, to my wife's dismay, they are located less than 10 minutes from where I work...so I can run there on my lunch hour on a regular basis...
Old June 24, 2017, 10:33 PM   #23
Kvon2

United gun shop in Rockville MD.

Fair prices and the best customer service I've ever experienced in a gun shop.

Added bonus, their website is fantastic for ordering firearms.
Old June 26, 2017, 06:19 PM   #24
imp

Dave's Gun Shop in Drums, PA. Not the biggest place, but I've never found a more friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Also, I will concur with TJB101. Tanners in Jamison, PA is a classy place with a great staff. The only knock on them is they have such dedicated local support that it's always busy and you have to wait for service....but it's worth the wait.
Old June 26, 2017, 08:07 PM   #25
bn12gg

Buffalo Bills in Orlando, FL. Solid black powder firearms shop plus flawless work as a FFL for all my firearms transfers. Knowledgable !

David.