The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Stargazer

Reloading just to be reloading....

OK so I get a couple of new revolvers, 45 Colt RedHawk and .357 GP100 4". Man I see why loading for .357 is so much fun and why the cartridge is so popular. Then I start with the 45 Colt rounds. I hit every gun show in the DFW area I can find to buy bullets, cases, primers, powder, etc. I have empty cases so I got to fill them up, right, buy more bullets. This has been going on a year or so now, buying every Hornady 300 grain XTP bullet I can find for the 45 Colt. Then comes Xmas, then comes paying for Xmas afterwards or at least playing a little catch up in the financial department. Then I stopped and counted my loaded rounds. I have over (800) 45 Colt rounds loaded and right at (1000) .357's loaded, this very moment. STOP RELOADING FOR A WHILE. I can only shoot 6 at a time so it is gonna take quite a while to go through the majority of those rounds.

So I guess I was in the trap of, "I have empty cases, must refill ASAP" syndrome. This ever happen to any of y'all? I have stepped away from the reloading bench for a while and will concentrate on "emptying" those loaded rounds now for a while. Come on Spring.....

M70 Web Page
Old February 16, 2011, 07:14 PM   #2
hivel37

I know what you mean. I have probably 500 each of .223, 45 ACP, 38 spcl, and .357 cases. Well maybe a thousand .223's. I'm runnin' behind.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:16 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

I do it quite often... Have three kids that shoot too tho... so easy to use em up.. I really do it often when casting... Ill start out just gonna cast for a couple of hours... then about six hours later I take a look at the pile again
Old February 16, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4
hk33ka1

I gave up shooting so I could dedicate more time to reloading.
Old February 16, 2011, 09:44 PM   #5
gspman

I cant figure out which i enjoy most, reloading or shooting??Welcome to the addiction GSPMAN
Old February 16, 2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Crashbox

I have over 2000 rounds of .357 loaded (some medium, some HOT) and over 1000 new empty cases... and I just ordered 1000 more! Yeah, reloading just for the fun of it can be habit-forming.

And I've only been reloading for about 15 months now- at this rate they're gonna have to lock me up and put me in a straitjacket!
Old February 16, 2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Sevens

I love reloading... love it, no kidding. But I do all my work single stage.

So if I ever get a wild hair up my butt to do a lot of work and pile up a lot of stuff, I size brass or prime cases.

I never load so much ammo that I have a thousand in any one caliber. I'd much, MUCH rather have the components for a thousand or two thousand with the ability to make ammo out of it rather than making up a huge pile of ammo.

When I have a huge pile of ammo, I tend to blow it all off because it's there. Also, I change my loads around all the time, always tweaking or trying new bullets or powders. I don't want a thousand loaded rounds in one caliber.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:03 PM   #8
pmeisel

I need to shoot more so I can reload more...
Old February 16, 2011, 11:08 PM   #9
jcsturgeon

I would be glad to help relieve you of any spare 45 Colt ammunition you might have on hand.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:53 AM   #10
Shootest

I have over 6000 9mm loaded, some FMJ, some JHP, and some cast TC. My stock is getting real low and I’m planning a long reloading session with almost 10000 cases to load. It will not take all that long though with the XL 650 cranking them out. I don’t think that is excessive because the UZI just shoots them up so fast.
Old February 17, 2011, 01:07 AM   #11
aaalaska

You think thats bad I had knee surgery three weeks ago and can't do much, but I've figured out I can reload. I don't even want to guess how much I've done in the two weeks since I'm off the pain killers. but this evening I primed about 400 44 brass,earlier it was 300 win mag. This thing better heal before I run out of everything.
Alex
Old February 17, 2011, 07:18 AM   #12
MW surveyor

BACK AWAY

FROM THE BENCH.

And go out and shoot.

(Then come back and reload what you shot)
Old February 17, 2011, 08:44 AM   #13
GP100man

Question !!

Hello: My name is GP100man & I`m addicted to reloading shooting & bullet casting , have been for 28 yrs. & I do therapy when I can !!!

Now that your an accomplished handloader/reloader do you shoot to reload or reload to shoot ???????

Do you buy empty brass just so you can load it ?????

Have you laid in bed at night & thought about different equipment or different loads to "try"??????

If the answer is yes to 1 or all these questions your an ADDICT & need therapy !!!!!!!

Now go shoot some so ya can do some more therapy !!!!!!

GP
Old February 17, 2011, 10:14 AM   #14
capreppy

I just started reloading.

Purchased a Hornady LnL AP w/setup for .45ACP (only weapon I currently have, but am looking at a 9mm in the near future).

I bought 4k pieces of .45ACP brass & 3k pieces of 9mm brass. I bought a bunch of sample packs for the .45ACP and built out a bunch to test for accuracy. Took them to the range yesterday and went thru 300 rounds over 2 hours (spent some talking with the friend I went with as well as other shooters that were at the range).

I am now contemplating a large component order. 10K CCI LPP, 8lbs of HP-38 and several thousand 200gr LSWC from Missouri Bullet (the absolute most accurate round out of all my testing yesterday).

Now that I have found a load that is accurate, I've gained confidence in my weapon and more thoroughly enjoy the sport. I want to have at least 1000 rounds (if not more) always readily available to go to the range whenever I feel like it.
Old February 17, 2011, 10:22 AM   #15
GP100man

SEE !!!!!!

WELCOME capreppy !!!!

Ya already ordered ya next fix !!!!!

+ buying stuff for a firearm ya don`t have yet , VERY bad signs of addiction !!!
Old February 17, 2011, 10:33 AM   #16
capreppy

I know at some point in the very near future a Beretta 92A1 will be in my range bag. Bought one of the MidwayUSA competition bags (can't beat it for $30) so the bag is perfect for two weapons and boat loads of ammo, cleaning gear and all of the misc stuff that goes to the range including 8x11 targets I can print at home for almost free

I bought the 9mm brass because I want to reload for it from the get go.

.45ACP ammo here in DFW, TX (where damn near everyone has a gun) is next to impossible to find. What I do find, I'm not willing to pay their insane pricing.

I got into reloading to find better accuracy for MY weapon and to shoot more. Since I couldn't find rounds to shoot more, that meant I HAD to reload. Since I can make a .45ACP round for $.10/round ($.009 for powder + $0.026 for primer + $0.0749 for bullet) vs nearly $.50/round commercially, the reloading equipment will pay for itself in less than 25 boxes of 100 rounds (that is only a couple of months of shooting for me).
Old February 17, 2011, 10:37 AM   #17
9x23win

Reloading for me is a separate hobby from shooting. Even though I have a room full of reloading components, I only load what I need to shoot in the upcoming days.
Old February 17, 2011, 03:08 PM   #18
larryf1952

Quote:
I gave up shooting so I could dedicate more time to reloading.
Now, that's funny...I love the subtle irony.

I have untold thousands of empty cases tucked away in plastic Rubbermaid containers...much more than I'll EVER need if I lived 20 lifetimes. So, I don't try to reload them all. I load up only what I have the cartridge boxes to accommodate...usually about 500 per each caliber, with the exception of the 9mm, which I seem to go through more often. I have the capacity to store 1000 rounds of loaded 9mm, but I'll wait until I get down to around 200 or 300 before I'll tool back up for that run.
Old February 17, 2011, 05:16 PM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
STOP RELOADING FOR A WHILE. I can only shoot 6 at a time so it is gonna take quite a while to go through the majority of those rounds.
Stargazer, you have simply forgotten that the BEST part of reloading is EMPTYING THE BRASS. So you can reload it again.

ETA: Why wait for spring? There are fewer shooters out in the winter. Dress warm. You'll have the place to yourself.
Old February 18, 2011, 12:03 PM   #20
Clay

Now that I'm reloading I just enjoy the "me" time. I recently gave up racing motorcycles and my "me" time used to be spending hours working on the bikes. Spending a few hours loading up some ammo gives me the same stress relief and enjoyment. I quite enjoy just taking my time and making sure everything is right. I never see myself going to a progressive setup, I quite enjoy my single stage and taking my sweet time on each stage.
Old February 18, 2011, 01:02 PM   #21
c.j.sikes

AAALASKA on the knee problem, i had one replaced and 6 wks rehab. between swiming pool and reloading i made out fine. friend it is grin and bear it time. loades 4500 45acp., case guage , the whole nine yds. hang in there! cjs
Old February 18, 2011, 03:43 PM   #22
aaalaska

C.J.S. Yea nothing else to do,I'd love to go shooting,but. I did sort out all the miss. brass that was stored in the shop for years, about 5 1/2 ,5 gal buckets.Called a few friends that reload and worked out deals on most that I don't use, am putting everything else in 3 & 5 gal containers, since I already had quite a bit, may need some larger bins.
I bought bulk supplies before the election, so have a lot of material to work with. Would love to be casting bullets now and maybe will be able to next week.
Thanks for the encouragement Alex